Will The Board Give AVB Time ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not sure I fully get the Townsend/Bale comparisons. Ever since he was 16 he's tried to take everyone on and not passed to anyone, think that's just how he is.

Maybe a loan move could eradicate that from his game :baletroll:

AVB is in a similar position to last year....
Lost important squad players and has new signings.
I get the feeling that not all positions are the way he'd like but he got us a record points total last year.
So I reckon 5th at worst, higher at best.
Squad will obviously take time to gel.
The Woolwich game just came too early, they were an established team and well up for it. You could see we we're working things out and not up to speed.
Townsend needs to forget about "trying to be the next bale" just do a job for the team and he'll do well anyway.
Madrid screwed us over Ozil and this special partnership needs to end now. It's taking the piss.....
petition here

http://www.change.org/petitions/tot...trategic-partnership-with-real-madrid-2#share
I signed this, maybe won't get us anywhere, but I felt better for doing it

<sigh>
Of course AVB will be given time....
29405535.jpg

I'm looking at AVB as the man to take us forward for many years. I hope he's given time and after rejecting Madrid and PSG, that's the least he deserves.

My own take is that he will be given this season as an interim period to settle in. Having said that, I doubt there will be much patience given the outlay that there has been. I'd say a fourth place finish is probably expected, as well as a decent run in all 3 cups.

This will be the last time that missing out on everything is forgiven.

The only problem with expecting us to finish fourth is the teams all around us have strengthened too, and while we have signed some fantastic players we also shipped out our player of the year. I wish I had the optimism some of you have to assume we are going to waltz into the top four. This is likely to be a tough season make no mistake about it.

I also think it is unlikely AVB will be sacked this season even if we have an awful time, simply because you don't invest in a manager the way we have and then just up and pack his bags for him at the first bit of trouble.

There is of course the possibility another big job could come up... he gets offered it and this time takes it, say after a poor run of results with crowd getting on his back?

Threads like this are why the international break is the goddamn worst.

Honestly I think they won't. Top 4 this season or there's the door.

Let's face it, he will either get sacked in 1-3 years or be poached by a bigger club.

Warning: This post may contain extreme pessimism.

Those facts mean very little when you actually look at the teams we've beat and who we actually scored against. They look good when you put them how you did.

You can only beat the teams you play though, and although it could be said that we should have won the games we did, at the same time we did win them and we cant do more than that, and often in today's league, games like the palace one are an accident waiting to happen. That was a very tough fixture in my opinion, away to a london club who have just been promoted on the first day of the season...Swansea are a decent side too, so again although we were probably favourites, there are no easy games. Woolwich lost at home to villa which is a great example of this. A club that almost got relegated last season but actually they aren't half bad really.
What I'm getting at, is that there is suddenly a lot of negativity which came about because we lost to our rivals, who bought a single very good player and we sold Bale. Those three things in a short space of time have rocked some people it seems, but if you look at the bigger picture and put it all in context, we have had a very good season so far (extrapolating to 76 points). Fuck we lose at the emirates most seasons and Woolwich are always going to be hard to play against, our hardest fixture of the whole premier league season really and we lost by a single goal, but it's hardly a shock result and it is out of the way now.

The only thing that has worried me is our lack of creativity which could be a far more serious issue, but with our new signings - especially Eriksen - this should change.

I think if people were honest, based on Levy's track record, it's CL he's after. It's why Jol was sacked all those years ago. Levy just didn't feel he had what it takes to push us that bit further. Same with Redknapp, but for different reasons. Then there were the gutting experiences of getting fourth by suffering the Chelsea fluke and a all time points record by still no CL. I think he's looked at this and gone all out this year. I suspect that Levy is desperate for us to be a top four mainstay to make the new stadium more viable. But if it's another fifth place finish by the end of the season there is every possibility that Levy will have had enough and his past impatience will be on show again. Will that result in AVB's sacking? I do think it is a possibility, just simply based on what we have seen before. I'm not saying that it will happen, but I think that Levy will probably be so exasperated that we still aren't jumping the final hurdle that anything may be possible from him. I think a lot of it will be dictated by what available alternatives are out there.

But, like others have said, this isn't really the time to have this debate at all. We're only three league games in.

If they don't give him time to get things right then, really they need to have a word with themselves. We can't keep sacking managers and hope that eventually we will get the one that clicks. Right now, things are going well, so I don't see any need for this discussion anyway. Clearly our objective is top four. But circumstances could change that, what if we finished 7th and won the Uefa cup? We would be in the CL so would there be a problem?

Back
Top Bottom