Will The Board Give AVB Time ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've got 6 points from 3 games, and our loss was away to a top 4 side. Not sure where all this knee-jerking has come in already.

I really don't think we're going to be in trouble this year. Although I do think AVB is the man they're looking for to create a legacy so I think he'll be given the benefit of the doubt this year IF things don't go to plan. Can't see it getting to that though, to be honest.

Played five, won four, lost one. Spent £100M+. Broke transfer record three times. scored ten. Conceded One. 100% home record. Same points as Woolwich. More points than the champions.
GET.A.GRIP.PEOPLE!

I continue to believe we are not aiming for fourth this season but second or third.

No one is getting sacked.

Threads like this are why the international break is the goddamn worst.

Played five, won four, lost one. Spent £100M+. Broke transfer record three times. scored ten. Conceded One. 100% home record. Same points as Woolwich. More points than the champions.
GET.A.GRIP.PEOPLE!

I continue to believe we are not aiming for fourth this season but second or third.

No one is getting sacked.
Those facts mean very little when you actually look at the teams we've beat and who we actually scored against. They look good when you put them how you did.

I think it's safe to say if we don't make the CL then Big Joe will be on the phone to Daniel asking for some explanations.

I really don't see any reason AVB would still have a job if we don't get Top 4 this year.

Board have invested in the team, training facilities and land to build a new stadium.
The only way that stadium is getting built / filled is with CL football.

I'm not sure I fully get the Townsend/Bale comparisons. Ever since he was 16 he's tried to take everyone on and not passed to anyone, think that's just how he is.

Maybe a loan move could eradicate that from his game :baletroll:

The only way i see AVB being sacked is if we have a proper shocker and end up mid table by the end of the season without a decent run in any cup competition. I feel the board have to stand by their man given the amount of investment, ignoring net spend, that has gone on players since he arrived.

6 points from 3 games in the league is a very strong start from a spurs team, particularly given how much the squad has changed from last season, not forgetting the fact we have got one of the toughest fixtures, Woolwich away, out of the way already.

are style of play

Sorry but pet hate. OUR

DoF I think is no good ,the manager should be called that not "head coach" . The manager should have full control of team affairs and not be undermined or a yes man

It depends on who the director is and what his role is. In the past this has been a little unsuccessful for us with Pleat apparently undermining Hoddle at any opportunity. But this is a DoF chosen by the coach. He wanted him there to help with the running and structure of the club. It seems to have paid off with the business we have done in the Window. I think you need to separate the idea of Baldini being AVB direct line manager and the idea of him being Sporting Director (or whatever his role is.)

Baldini seems to have been brought in to take some of the pressure off both Levy and AVB with regards to transfer negotiations, scouting etc. Leaving Levy to focus on the stadium and commercial aspects, and AVB to focus on organising the team. All seems fairly logical to me.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/disc...-position-of-director-of-football-in-general/

The scum can't be lucky again, can they?

I feel their luck has run out. Despite their win on Sunday, I felt we deserved something from the game, even though we weren't at our best. That's a measure of how far we've come, even without Bale and a number of new faces yet to settle in.

This may sound odd but maybe it was fortunate to loose to the scum. Sitting top of the league would have created so much unnecessary pressure at this early stage of the team delevopment. Although it would have generated pressure on them , for us it detrimental but the scum get stronger. Ozil transfer Maybe is a welcome distraction. We don't want to be building a team in the spotlight. Last year the scum were apparently dropping behind us . Let's leave them ahead of us and chase them maybe it's better that way.

Not sure this thread is knee jerking mate. Our board sacked Jol after back to back 5th place finishes, sacked Redknapp after 4th, 5th, 4th and got rid of Graham after winning an FA cup quarter final.

Given the amount of money we've spent, I think there is real pressure on AVB this season. And finishing in that top 4 us going to be mighty difficult what with the way we have lost our bottle down the stretch during the last two seasons.
To me the title read as 'how much longer has he got' which after three games is ludicrous. I know it's just a general discussion but it seems/seemed a bit premature at this point.

I think it's commonly accepted that sacking Jol was a mistake (certainly from fans, who knows about our board) and there's still some who support Redknapp but it's generally agreed we were correct to replace him. Graham a bit before my time, but winning a quarter final really isn't that much of an achievement if the domestic season is going poorly.

On your final point, we haven't actually spent anything. We made a few million in this window so I don't buy the argument of "we've spent X, so we should finish Y". I think the top four is easily achievable, we lost our bottle 2yrs ago because of Redknapp/England, and last year our form at the end of the season was incredible - think we only lost 2 in our last 20 or so games. Definitely didn't lose bottle, our problem was just that the scum had worldly form at the end of last season as well.

After all the comings and goings in the transfer window , and the money that's been spent. I fear that the team will take to at least Xmas before we see the best our great team has to offer.By that that time we could well be some way off the top 4 . Levy is not known for his patience which leads me to my question , will AVB be given at least this season even if we fail to make top 4 or win any of the cups ?which will be tough this season in my humble opinion

Since the board decided to sell our best player, it would pretty cunty to sack AVB if we don't do well...then again they were pretty cunty to Jol.

AVB is in a similar position to last year....
Townsend needs to forget about "trying to be the next bale" just do a job for the team and he'll do well anyway.

Yeah ... this part is really important. It's something I noticed a lot. I mean, I appreciate his enthusiasm. And I understand that he probably really admires him but he needs to relax a bit and know that he has to master how to crawl before he learns to walk.

Back
Top Bottom