Who is to blame?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is to blame?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Didnt VDV request a transfer after it was made clear he wouldnt be guaranteed to start over Siggy?
Not quite true, I think. I think that's something that's been slightly twisted by butt-hurt knee-jerkers.

From VdV's account, I don't think he requested a transfer, it's just that right when AVB said to him that nobody had an automatic place in the first 11, that's when he got the news that Hamburg had tabled a bid, and he basically just took the stance that if the club reached an agreement for his transfer then he wouldn't stand in the way.

By all accounts he was happy at Spurs, but his marriage was falling apart, and although Hamburg was a step down, he was still a legend there and it checked all the boxes for him.

Remember, transfers are a two-way street, and when a player gets the news that the club has accepted a bid for his transfer, a lot of them take that to mean that they're aren't wanted anymore.

I don't know if you can say 'blame', but our players have shown no little professionalism IMHO.

The player hierachy needs a good shaking up. At least 2, best 3 players with captaincy credentials need to be brought in at all and any cost.

Not quite true, I think. I think that's something that's been slightly twisted by butt-hurt knee-jerkers.

From VdV's account, I don't think he requested a transfer, it's just that right when AVB said to him that nobody had an automatic place in the first 11, that's when he got the news that Hamburg had tabled a bid, and he basically just took the stance that if the club reached an agreement for his transfer then he wouldn't stand in the way.

By all accounts he was happy at Spurs, but his marriage was falling apart, and although Hamburg was a step down, he was still a legend there and it checked all the boxes for him.

Remember, transfers are a two-way street, and when a player gets the news that the club has accepted a bid for his transfer, a lot of them take that to mean that they're aren't wanted anymore.

"During our first conversation (with AVB) he hinted that I had to fight for my place. That in itself is not a problem. I have enough confidence in my abilities. But until that time I was 'the guy' at The Spurs. The contrast with the way Villas-Boas saw it, it was just too big. The club had just bought Sigurdsson who had an advantage, the coach said himself.
"In the same period HSV knocked at the door again. Villas Boas came around shortly afterwards and changed his opinion of me, apparently it was not so smooth with Sigurdsson, but then I had already made my choice. About the club I have no evil words, the atmosphere was great, we had a good team, there is a club being built."

The bolded parts say to me that VDV was told that he could fight for his place, but was seen as further down the pecking order than Siggy, and subsequently VDV made his decision to leave Spurs.

whoever is in charge of the organization is to blame.
I think it's telling that strategies change so drastically from manager to manager.

A good organization would have the same basic principles no matter who the coach is.

I'll be waiting so see how the new manager treats the Europa league. IMO an organization as a whole should set goals but Harry clearly didn't give a shit about it but AVB did. The organization as a whole should be behind the idea of Europa league but it seems like its down the what ever the manager wants.

I don't know if you can say 'blame', but our players have shown no little professionalism IMHO.

The player hierachy needs a good shaking up. At least 2, best 3 players with captaincy credentials need to be brought in at all and any cost.

We've already got the captain of France and Romana plus Dawson and isn't dear Ade captain of Togo?. How many captains do you want.

"During our first conversation (with AVB) he hinted that I had to fight for my place. That in itself is not a problem. I have enough confidence in my abilities. But until that time I was 'the guy' at The Spurs. The contrast with the way Villas-Boas saw it, it was just too big. The club had just bought Sigurdsson who had an advantage, the coach said himself.
"In the same period HSV knocked at the door again. Villas Boas came around shortly afterwards and changed his opinion of me, apparently it was not so smooth with Sigurdsson, but then I had already made my choice. About the club I have no evil words, the atmosphere was great, we had a good team, there is a club being built."

The bolded parts say to me that VDV was told that he could fight for his place, but was seen as further down the pecking order than Siggy, and subsequently VDV made his decision to leave Spurs.
Cheers, had forgotten all that. But, it's also not so simple as VdV pushing to leave. He had already basically agreed to join Hamburg when Spurs came back around and indicated that they still wanted him. My point is, this is not the Bale saga that we're talking about.

Last edited:

Certainly comes across that way, which only looks bad on VDV.

However, how come Lloris wasnt put in when we need him, and Lamela et all need "half a year" to bed.......yet Siggy was deemed a better player than VDV instantly?

Also a hint of AVB power tripping with certain players imo..

Back
Top Bottom