Who is to blame?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is to blame?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You left out 'the fans' as an option
I had a short twitter convo a few days ago with @ tehTrunk tehTrunk about who was to blame, as he was riding BAE very hard. At the time, I said that the bulk of my ire was at Levy and the fans, but I'm not sure I fully believed what I was typing.

Now I do. Levy turned his back on his promises to build something long-term with a young manager. If AVB was the wrong young manager, then that was something to be solved either before hiring him or during a close season. Not less than halfway through a season when we're on the quadruple. I've been a big apologist for Levy, but this really smarted… Redknapp's short tenure can be explained (he was clearly a stopgap and wore out his welcome by actively alienating the fans), as can Ramos's (lost the dressing room), and Jol's is another mark against Levy.

But this… AVB had done nothing wrong by the supporters except commit seeming aesthetic atrocities. As I said on twitter around the same time, the aesthetic case ('we've been playing dire football despite getting results') against AVB holds little brief, because it ignores any manner of ancillary problems (which are, possibly, AVB's fault… like not having cover for LB). If a painter sold all his blue pigment for drugs, you can't really say, 'this painter is worthless because he doesn't use blue'. You say, instead, 'this painter would be much better if he used blue; it's a shame he has a drugs problem and sold his blue'.

Yet perhaps because all we can ultimately judge is the product on the field, all of our ire gets directed on that final result, and even there, bizarrely, the standards are slippery if not incoherent (results matter only sometimes…). And now those standards are held as etched in stone by harumphing posters here and twitterers elsewhere, injecting the hot air of self-satisfied vindication into their heads while dancing on AVB's career's grave. The celebration suggests that our club has been ridden of some huge weight. As though as soon as that man was out the door, a million blossoms would bloom. A Woolwich relegation party would not have had as eager a guest list.

I've found that response, in a word, despicable. In part because it's disrespectful to a man who clearly did everything he could to make Spurs something worth supporting (even saying no to the far easier—perhaps—job at PSG along the way… would St. Harry have acted similarly? Would any of us?). But also since it acts as though the head coach is the only thing wrong with this club. Last night we saw that wasn't the case… there are deeper problems in play, like a famously aloof chairman who now seems to be meddling, yet to many of our fans, our season's decapitation opened the Christmas season a few days earlier than expected.

All this celebration because AVB's football wasn't up to our aesthetic standards. Ludicrous.

Last edited:
None of us are privy to what go's on behind closed doors, but on the surface of things, to invest over 100 million£ in 7 new signings at the beginning of a new season. Trust your director of football and your manager (of 18mths, enough time to make your judgement of him) to spend it and attempt to integrate SEVEN new players into the club, plus bring back 2 key players (Rose/Townsend) who had not been around the club for a season, and expect your manager too also accommodate them! Then publicly come out and support your investment, your decisions! Then less than 4 months later make another decision, that contradicts your previous one (because 9 new players, have yet to gel) and sends the club into disarray , when they are only 5 points off of their target goal with less than half a season gone, with winnable games coming up! Is nothing short of imcompetence! Reckless at least! Are we to believe that Mr D.Levy after spending time with both Baldini and AVB, pre-season, discussing the (long-term) plans for Tottenham Hotspur, is going to be influenced by a few Boo-Boys on the terraces!!

There is more to this, and if not, then the man (Levy) is a fool!!

The Jews

wait...Fuck
cristiano-ronaldo-jews.gif

You can select multiple responses if you like. I don`t want to let my opinion influence this poll too much, but remember Levy hired all of them :bow::levystare:

I don't know if you can say 'blame', but our players have shown no little professionalism IMHO.

The player hierachy needs a good shaking up. At least 2, best 3 players with captaincy credentials need to be brought in at all and any cost.

We've already got the captain of France and Romana plus Dawson and isn't dear Ade captain of Togo?. How many captains do you want.

I think we're all ignoring the 2 biggest elephants in the room....

money.jpg

...yes two... MON£Y AND SKY!!!
Hi 1882, I think you'll find I'm well aware of the money elephant. See my post in this thread and any amount of other threads.

The days of Forest Derby Ipswich Villa etc winning the league or European Cup have disappeared in the Prem era.

Only the rich have won either of the Big Two prizes since PremSky emerged in all its 'beauty'.

Back
Top Bottom