Which Spurs Flop should have been given more time?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wimmer joined us for £4.3m, played 13 league games in 2 seasons for us, we then sold him for £18m to Stoke where he only played 14 league games over 4 seasons and left for nothing! :levylol:

Pullis would have made a beast out of him; unfortunately for big Kev he ended up with shitty Mark Hughes.

He did well when called on that season but looking at his career since he left us it seems that was just a purple patch. Any player could look half-decent next to Prime Toby in the team we had back then. He barely got a game at Stoke and I have no idea where he even plays now.

I can't really think of many players that really deserved more time, at least since I've been watching. There are some who had talent like Taraabt, Ndombele, Dos Santos, Bentley etc but they were not professional enough to deserve more time.

Trippier is probably the only one who deserved more time, that was a ridiculous sale then and it looks even stupider now. He had a poor final season (and he should never have tried to conceal his injury from the coaches) but he was still the best RB we've had since Walker left by an absolute country mile. The abuse he got from our own fans was disgusting and stems from this warped idea that because he was cheap and came from Burnley that he didn't really belong here. People made all kinds of excuses for Ndombele, Lo Celso etc giving us years of shit but the way the fans turned on Trippier after one poor season was pathetic.
Agree re: disclosing injury but my god he ended up as a liability in that last season.

If the only criteria is “given more time” then it’s got to be Greaves. Imagine how many more goals he could have scored for us if we hadn’t sold him?

it is the question, did we sell him because he started to slide or did he slide because we sold him?
What finished Greaves was the drinking and possibly his poor diet and tendency to slack off in training (there is a famous story about Jimmy getting a lift in the back of a truck when Bill Nick sent them off on a run) and those sort of things tend to catch up with players when they get older.

Moving Greaves on in part-exchange for Martin Peters was a very smart piece of business. We got the best locksmith player in the game at a time when the game was becoming more defensive and players who could create space out of nothing were worth their weight in gold.

If the only criteria is “given more time” then it’s got to be Greaves. Imagine how many more goals he could have scored for us if we hadn’t sold him?

it is the question, did we sell him because he started to slide or did he slide because we sold him?
Probably a bit of both to be fair.
He was drinking a lot at Spurs and that obviously affected his fitness and performances.

Going to West Ham, he basically dived off a cliff there and went full time drinking.

Paulinho, Postiga, Paramot, Pavlyuchenko and anyone who played for Spurs and their name starts with 'P' comes to mind.

Another one for me was Routledge. Really rated him at Palace before he came. Rebrov, another.

Paulinho, Postiga, Paramot, Pavlyuchenko and anyone who played for Spurs and their name starts with 'P' comes to mind.

Another one for me was Routledge. Really rated him at Palace before he came. Rebrov, another.
Routledge had hard luck though, got injured in pre-season and Lennon got an opportunity of a run in the team.

Back
Top Bottom