Which Spurs Flop should have been given more time?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

I've always maintained that Rebrov was more of a managerial casualty than a flop. He got 12 goals in his first season and created goals as well - while not a spectacular first season it was definitely something that could have been built on. Then Glenn Hoddle came in, signed a 35 year old Teddy Sheringham and the rest is history.

I've always maintained that Rebrov was more of a managerial casualty than a flop. He got 12 goals in his first season and created goals as well - while not a spectacular first season it was definitely something that could have been built on. Then Glenn Hoddle came in, signed a 35 year old Teddy Sheringham and the rest is history.
100%.

Some of his goals were outstanding. The 25 yard volley that helped put Spam out of the cup at their gaff, in a bloody monsoon and a hostile crowd. I really thought they would do us that day.

The equivalent of "not invented here". I didn't buy him, I'm not particularly vested in him succeeding.

Shortly after buying him Pleat settled on the 4-5-1 formation with so much creativity in MF and Allen being a great target man despite being quite small.
Claesen did well enough in 86/7, got a decent amount of game time (only 2subs allowed) and often played in behind Allen interchanged with Hodge from recollection. Biggest problem was we went to shit the next season after pleat got caught curb crawling and Gough left. When venables arrived he was one of the first to go.
87/88 was a terrible season - couple of mentions on here for fairclough and metgod- they just never got a chance. They had massive shoes to fill replacing gough and hoddle

I genuinely believe Paulinho was the worst signing we’ve made in the last ten years.

I’d say Rodon since he seems on the way out without hardly playing.

Great shout. For a first season he did ok , Hoddle really did a number on him.

I think Jermaine Jenas could have been good. He seemed to have talent but it only seemed to appear on a part time basis.

On occasions I saw him spray the ball around with such confidence. Admittedly most of them went out of play but he had the confidence to try it.

He also would unleash a barrage of shots from the edge of the area. Admittedly very few went in but I've ways been taught it's the effort that counts.

He also was never afraid of putting in a crunching tackle or 2. Admittedly he very rarely won the ball in those tackles but the opposition midfielders were inevitably bigger, stronger and better so he can hardly be blamed for that.

I think Jermaine Jenas could have been good. He seemed to have talent but it only seemed to appear on a part time basis.

On occasions I saw him spray the ball around with such confidence. Admittedly most of them went out of play but he had the confidence to try it.

He also would unleash a barrage of shots from the edge of the area. Admittedly very few went in but I've ways been taught it's the effort that counts.

He also was never afraid of putting in a crunching tackle or 2. Admittedly he very rarely won the ball in those tackles but the opposition midfielders were inevitably bigger, stronger and better so he can hardly be blamed for that.
Not sure you fully understand the thread.

Agree with this. He was a very bright, sparky player bogged down by lazy, average players. We killed his career

Back
Top Bottom