What A Season That Was.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Most balanced pieces on our season from football365 Season's Winners and Losers...it ignored the fact that Pochettino has stated he's staying and could have mentioned Davies and Trippier though.

Mauricio Pochettino and Tottenham
I know the response before I even type the words: But Tottenham haven’t won anything.

That is true, of course. Tottenham ultimately failed to win the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup, Europa League and EFL Cup, in order of how serious Mauricio Pochettino took each competition. These are facts.

Yet to describe this season as anything other than an overwhelming success is foolish, one-eyed or both. Tottenham started this season as sixth favourites for the Premier League title, expected by bookmakers to miss out on a place in the Champions League. The summer transfer window was intensely disappointing, with the signing of Moussa Sissoko for £30m doing more harm than good.

That Sissoko signing was notable: It took Tottenham into positive net spend over the last five years. Of the 20 clubs in the Premier League this season, only Swansea City have a lower net spend over that period. For all the jokes about using that as a measure of success, it indicates the remarkable job Pochettino has done on a budget and with a small first-team squad. They also still have the lowest average age of any first-team squad in the division.

Pochettino did not just upset the odds to engineer a top-four bid, but ran Chelsea closer to the title than any other club. Tottenham recorded the second highest ever points total by a club that has not won the Premier League title in that season.

Most enjoyably for neutrals, Tottenham are the most exciting team in the division to watch when in form. Their goal difference for the last two seasons, compared with their peers, is mightily impressive:

Tottenham – 94
Manchester City – 71
Woolwich – 67
Chelsea – 58
Liverpool – 49
Manchester United – 39

Spurs have the best full-backs in the league (for now, and when fit), the best central defensive partnership, one of the best goalkeepers, the best young player in Dele Alli and the best striker in Harry Kane. Those players who fill the gaps (Mousa Dembele, Victor Wanyama, Christian Eriksen and Heung-Min Son) aren’t bad either.

Tottenham’s performances against Manchester City in October, Swansea in December, Chelsea in January and Leicester City in May also account for four of the ten best team displays of the season, indication that when this team clicks they are a joy to behold. By any measure, Tottenham have over-achieved.

That does not mean that this Tottenham project is complete or that potential has been realised, but it is worth praising during the journey as well as congratulating them if they reach the ambitious destination. A traditional Premier League also-ran has become a key player. Further squad investment is needed, but keeping their manager will again be the signing of the Spurs summer.

Harry Kane
– Kane has become the fourth player to win consecutive outright Premier League Golden Boots after Alan Shearer, Thierry Henry and Robin van Persie. He is 23.

– Kane became the fourth player to score 20 or more goals in three successive seasons after Alan Shearer, Thierry Henry and Ruud van Nistelrooy, although Sergio Aguero matched that on Sunday. He is 23.

– Only four players have now scored more Premier League hat-tricks than Harry Kane (Alan Shearer, Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen and Thierry Henry). He is 23.

I didn’t sign up to the Harry Kane ‘two-season wonder’ tag just as I didn’t sign up to the ‘one-season wonder’ tag, but that does not mean that Kane’s achievement this season is not surprising. Despite his rise over the last three years, 2016/17 somehow ended as Kane’s best season yet. His record of 29 goals in 30 league matches this season is nothing short of extraordinary.

Tottenham’s defence
Goals conceded since beginning of last season (teams must have played in both seasons):

Tottenham – 60
Manchester United – 64
Woolwich – 79
Manchester City – 80
Chelsea – 85
Southampton – 88
Liverpool – 92

Given that Manchester United, Tottenham’s only close challenger, sacrificed attacking intent for defensive stability, that is a wonderful effort. Toby, Jan, Danny, Kyle, Eric and Hugo; well played.

If we could just put it all together in one season...
Combined table for last 2 years.

fVeyfUm.jpg

I've highlighted each column where we top the stats.

A superb Season, various high lights for me, but the main one.
No ones laughing anymore. We have a squad I love and a Manager who is on his way to be up there on a pedestal with Keith Burkinshaw(a way to go yet though) as my favourite since attending games.
A Striker that fans of other teams have resorted to taking the mick out of him or trying to sell him to other clubs , simply because they are scared of him and know he is scoring for fun. And is still learning.
He will only get better
We may lose a player leave this summer, but we have to trust the boss. If he feels its for the best of the team,so be it
In Poch I trust.

Last edited:
Leicester City FC pitch size 105m x 68m
Hull City FC pitch size 105m x 68m
Wembley pitch size (next season) 105m x 68m

Just saying......

The bigger pitch is better for us against a team that tries to defend, which is basically 9 out of 10 teams we face. That's why we had so much space now that our movement is so good. I don't see the pitch size being a disadvantage to us next season, but rather, an advantage. Having said that, the ground being Wembley will make it a day out for most teams and that will hurt us because they will try that bit harder. I hope we get a good fixture list for the start of the season as I expect we will settle after half a dozen games and adapt to it all. Then we can start destroying teams like this.

Only one question remains...can Kane be the first player to score 19 home hat tricks in one season?
:kanegoal:
You're forgetting the CL Group stages, and any potential 'Home' Cup Draws!!
That's gotta bring it up to at least the chance of getting 22/23 HT's at home...?!

fVeyfUm.jpg

...ahhh, but the downside, is that ArseAnal achive CL football for the 20/21st consecutive season...
"iss 'appenin' agaaaaaaaaai......."
NO IT ISN'T! NOW FUCK OFF YOU SMUG GLOATING PRICKS. GO PROTEST ONLINE SOMEWHERE AGAINST YOUR MOST SUCCESSFUL MODERN MANAGER, YOU UNGRACIOUS, UNGRATEFUL CUNTS!!

fVeyfUm.jpg

Just amazing.

It may be perverse, but I get a kick out of seeing us quite high up the fouls committed table, with 884. (Mind you half of those were at the bridge). Nothing to be proud of I know, but it reflects that extra bit of grit thats in our side now.

Just amazing.

It may be perverse, but I get a kick out of seeing us quite high up the fouls committed table, with 884. (Mind you half of those were at the bridge). Nothing to be proud of I know, but it reflects that extra bit of grit thats in our side now.
It's also part of our tactics. We aren't opposed to tactical fouling as the opposition try to break away at the cost of a very, very deep free kick and an occasional yellow.

Back
Top Bottom