We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Liverpool fan here...

Just want to say huge congratulations for reaching the final, and it's been great to see Spurs supporters experiencing that well deserved 'high' that comes with this achievement alone. The first time I ever stood on the kop as a boy was to see Spurs beat us 0-1 at Anfield back in the eighties. Garth Crooks volley into the top corner...Anyway here's to a well fought game on the night with some great football on display from both teams. Champions League is such a great experience. Orgasmic if one wins it, crushing if one loses it, but just to be there in contention, and the run-up, the 'chatter' the plans to watch it, either there in the flesh or back home with your mates...it's boss. So 'enjoy' it all and take some great memories from it. This is as good as club footie gets in the hunt for silver. It's totally different than a league challenge. The 'world' watches for 90 minutes and your boys now have a place on the stage!!

I’m sure you’ll get a few ‘mixed’ responses on here mate but I’ll take what you’ve posted at face value and say, cheers. May the best team win and all that...

That one-nil win broke the 73 year ‘Titanic’ Anfield hoo-doo....1985

Getting the impression that some of you would have been more comfortable with a Barcelona final than a Pool final.

In my opinion, they had everything to lose in our meeting in March and just barely squeaked by. We have proved to be 3 x powerful in European games vs domestic games. From the jump of the semi-finals, I hoped we would face pool instead of Barcelona.

The only thing I'm uncertain about is whether we gain an advantage or a disadvantage from them winning or losing the league.

One concern I have, and I invite any answers.

We can't ignore the desire Liverpool played with in their 2nd leg, the same way they can't ignore the desire we played with our last quarter.

We have proved that we can analyze a first game loss and engineer a game plan. I.E; Barcelona, Inter, PSV, Ajax.

This time we will have just the 90 minutes as opposed to the full 180 to get it right

How do we start with enough strength and neutrality to see it through in 90 minutes? Can we risk a possibly fit Kane in the first 45 of the setup or do we NEED to risk a possibly fit Kane for 90 minutes?
:hugoshock:
at the risk of sounding cliched the first 30 mins is vital. The lolpool press will be in full flow, with their midfield engine room going right at it. With Dier and Vic so out of sorts and winks out i worry how we'll cope with that. We saw it in both games v Ajax and both games against the dippers this year. We've come on stronger in all 4 of those games second half (less so the dippers game at wembley). In fact we dominated the dippers in the second half in the last two games at anfield. Once our creative players start getting room we've proven we can get at them, but they will be swarming all over us from the off. As long as we dont let them get out of sight i'm confident that we have a great chance.

Liverpool fan here...

Just want to say huge congratulations for reaching the final, and it's been great to see Spurs supporters experiencing that well deserved 'high' that comes with this achievement alone. The first time I ever stood on the kop as a boy was to see Spurs beat us 0-1 at Anfield back in the eighties. Garth Crooks volley into the top corner...Anyway here's to a well fought game on the night with some great football on display from both teams. Champions League is such a great experience. Orgasmic if one wins it, crushing if one loses it, but just to be there in contention, and the run-up, the 'chatter' the plans to watch it, either there in the flesh or back home with your mates...it's boss. So 'enjoy' it all and take some great memories from it. This is as good as club footie gets in the hunt for silver. It's totally different than a league challenge. The 'world' watches for 90 minutes and your boys now have a place on the stage!!

Well that doesn't sound condescending at all. Thanks.

Really interested to see our line up.

Winks has had surgery, so fairly certain he’s out till next season. Even then, with Kane and Aurier as well....how many times have we seen (Kane esp) rushed back only to be way off the pace.

Don’t be surprised to see Wanyama and Sissoko in, and I think....Son dropped. If Harry’s back the pressure is to keep Son and Lucas in and drop Dele into a holding beside Sissoko, where Dele never plays his best. Really hard this one:

Lloris
Trippier Toby Jan Rose
Sissoko Wanyama
Lucas Eriksen Dele
Kane

1. Gazzaniga
2. Davies
3. Sanchez
4. Dier
5. Lamela
6. Son
7. Llorente

Would honestly be happy for the same team sheet as Ajax game and Kane on the bench, on at half time if it isn’t working out.

No room for Skipp or Aurier

Liverpool fan here...

Gosh as the first British club to win a European trophy we thank you for letting us have permission to step on the stage!

Are the ticket office still on a bender?! Zero news from the club on tickets / allocations / not even a holding statement!! The Arse have already made a statement and the Pool did it within 24hrs.....

Awaiting news of the “ticket” points cut off....

Getting the impression that some of you would have been more comfortable with a Barcelona final than a Pool final.

In my opinion, they had everything to lose in our meeting in March and just barely squeaked by. We have proved to be 3 x powerful in European games vs domestic games. From the jump of the semi-finals, I hoped we would face pool instead of Barcelona.

The only thing I'm uncertain about is whether we gain an advantage or a disadvantage from them winning or losing the league.
definitely losing the league would be in our benefit. There will be an emotional drain from losing it and also the pressure of having the season ending with no trophy.

They are 24 points better off than us in the Premier League
They have better performing players over most of the pitch
They have a lot more experience.

Yet, we have NOTHING to lose.

They are the ones who are favourites for this.

They are the ones under pressure to actually win something after all that money spent and playing so well with nothing to show for it.

We will go out there and enjoy a massive game. We aren't expected to win. That works in our favour. I've said it a thousand times. We don't buckle under pressure. It's dealing with expectation that we struggle with. But as proven over the last decade. Liverpool do too.

I think we will win.

Hard-fought 2-1.

I was "the lucky winner" of the Zavvi/Mastercard competition for the all inclusive trip to the Final yesterday...today I've got a voucher code for 15% off my next purchase on the Zavvi website...:disdain:

Liverpool are massive favorites for this. In the media they are more than they should be but I accept they are rightly favorites, they've lost fewer games than us this season, have a stronger squad and less injuries. Both teams both have great talent and motivational managers. Spurs may for the first time this season be able to select from a mostly available squad and have a strong bench which simply hasn't been an option all season so far. The game is closer than the media let on, in a final anything can happen and both teams are going to give absolutely everything to win it. I think this game will go down in history as the best final ever, I honestly do, but I wholeheartedly believe Tottenham Hotspur are going to win it. It just feels that way, has all season since before a ball was even kicked it has felt like we would do it, even when we had just 1 point from the opening 3 group games I still believed we would go all the way. I have never ever felt that way before, I'm not someone who says every year that we are going to win the CL, in fact I don't think I have ever said it except maybe in obvious jest before. I expect the game to swing one way then the other, be full of drama and tension and emotion, but we are going to win it. I have total faith that we will win this game.

Back
Top Bottom