We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Going to be honest here, and some won't like it. Liverpool are my most hated team. Yes, even more than Woolwich, more than Chelsea, and even more than Brentford (that bit was a joke). I hate their stupid "walk alone song", I hate the fact most of their supporters have southern accents, and I get fed up with talking about Hiilsborough like it was the only crisis on earth. Having been to nearly every stadium in the UK, I can tell you it is amongst the quietest. Whilst beating them in the final would give me the utmost pleasure, losing against them will give me the utmost misery. Think I would have preferred Barca
You’re such a cunt. Surely you should be playing golf (badly) on the first of June? You’re a nasty tout and our support will be diminished with you in attendance. You’re our version of the Wealdstone raider. A puckered up little loner who looks like he’s swallowed a lemon whole. You’re a cunt and I hate you. Fucking little golfing bungalow shit goblin. Fuck off.

I couldn’t give a fuck about Liverpool’s high flying form right now, we are a different beast in the champions league this year. Never say die attitude has got us to this final. We have the players to hurt them and we were Miles the better side at Anfield, plus we have the best striker on the planet probably fit and ready to bust a gut for his boyhood club. This is what dreams are made of boys, we can do this. We can win this champions league, buzzing. Come on!!!!!!!!!!

I've had doubts every round but not this one. Our name is on the cup, I feel it in my water. So many omens. Final at Atletico Madrid's stadium, the opponent of our first European title. 1+9+6+3 = 19. I've also got this theory that, instead of the year ending in 1 being our lucky year, this century our lucky year will increase in increments of 1. 2008, 2019, 2030, 2041, etc. Something like that anyway. I'm an atheist but I've still got this weird belief in some kind of Football God.

Yep, normally I’m so pessimistic when it comes to Spurs. It’s all those years of hurt that turn you so negative, but something feels so different about this years CL. We seem to keep plugging outstanding results out of the bag every single round. From the group stages, to Dortmund, to VAR city and to that incredible night in Ajax. Just feels like our name is on the cup, let’s just prayer and hope.

I would play both Son and Moura and tell them to press the full backs at every opportunity. Alexander Arnold and Robertson are probably the two most creative players in Liverpools squad. Force them back and it really hurts Liverpools attacking play. Moura and Son both have the pace and tenacity to press and punnish them when they inevitably bomb forwards.

A couple thoughts.

I'd rather beat Barcelona and I'd DEFINITELY rather lose to Barcelona. Gotta just be honest about that.

And we probably want Liverpool to snatch the title on Sunday now, right? Let them have a big party in the midst of their preparations, and also make the narrative of this game something other than Trophyless Klopp versus Trophyless Poch to see which project is Actually Good.

There's a bit of an air of "we've proved ourselves now" to some of the reactions, which I think will really not stand the test of time if we lose, especially to Liverpool, especially if it's Klopp's coronation.
City winning the PL means nothing. Nothing to the owners. Nothing to the supporters. Nothing to Pep. Nothing to the squad. The only feeling anyone connected to City will get from it will be equal to the feeling you get when you've had a rumbly belly from a dodgy lunch all day and you just barely manage to get your ass planted on the toilet before your ass erupts - relief that you managed to not shat yourself by the skin of your teeth.

If Liverpool win the title, you can begin the excuses for our CL win. They were exhausted, over joyed, the PL meant more, etc. etc. And you can bet the BBC et al. will spend the summer celebrating their glorious title for the first time in a quarter century...and if they mention the CL at all it will simply be to point out that any shite club could fluke a cup, but it was the mighty reds who did something truly impressive in winning the league.

No...fuck them, City to win the title if for no other reason than it's a soulless and empty accomplishment that will get zero attention.

I’m not sure you get English football. You don’t understand the tribalism. Aww... that’s ok. Keep melting Mr Fighting.
City winning the PL means nothing. Nothing to the owners. Nothing to the supporters. Nothing to Pep. Nothing to the squad. The only feeling anyone connected to City will get from it will be equal to the feeling you get when you've had a rumbly belly from a dodgy lunch all day and you just barely manage to get your ass planted on the toilet before your ass erupts - relief that you managed to not shat yourself by the skin of your teeth.

If Liverpool win the title, you can begin the excuses for our CL win. They were exhausted, over joyed, the PL meant more, etc. etc. And you can bet the BBC et al. will spend the summer celebrating their glorious title for the first time in a quarter century...and if they mention the CL at all it will simply be to point out that any shite club could fluke a cup, but it was the mighty reds who did something truly impressive in winning the league.

No...fuck them, City to win the title if for no other reason than it's a soulless and empty accomplishment that will get zero attention.

So, I have City-supporting family on both sides of the pond (Mom's family vs. Dad's family), and so the tribalism aspect might be a little different for me.

As for a Liverpool title creating excuses for our win, I could not give less of a fuck. I would give Liverpool every excuse on earth for a 1% greater chance of winning this game. It has been said that to be English is to prefer your enemy's failure to your own success, and I guess I'm a red-blooded American by that standard, the only thing I give a shit about is winning. (With a side of Woolwich schadenfreude please). And I think Liverpool winning the title gives us that marginally better chance psychologically.

I do think Will hit the nail on the head about what City's title means, but like, doesn't that viscerally disgust you? And can't you see how that hurts the game we all love? I dunno, I get a bit Jon Snow about this, that our petty human squabbles are meaningless in the face of the real war against the zombie hoards of undead.

Just one man's take on it.

interesting. what happens when the same team reaches the final more than once in those four years? I'm obviously expecting to reach the final each of the next four years now so I guess that leaves at least 3 spare spaces for someone.
:pochserious:
You missed the small print clause that all qualification rules are subject to amendment to ensure that Madrid, Barca, Munich, Juve, PSG, United, City, and Liverpool qualify.

:pochrolleyes:

Prepare for the onslaught from the pro dipper media on the lead up to the final, they will be trying to unsettle our players and our manager and our club.

Make absolutely no mistake about it, the British media do not want us to win this thing, we are the team that they feel will upset the Liverpool fairytale, the Mo Salah fairytale.

The media pretend that Liverpool are also an "underdog" they have never been an underdog because they are 100% in the pockets of the media.

However, neutral football supporters are behind us, that's going to be the difference, no supporter in world football besides the salty gooners and the dippers want Liverpool to win this thing, so let's get out there knowing that we have people behind us and knowing that we have one mission to accomplish, putting our name on that beautiful trophy.

I have never been more proud of this club than I am right now, COYS!

So, I have City-supporting family on both sides of the pond (Mom's family vs. Dad's family), and so the tribalism aspect might be a little different for me.

As for a Liverpool title creating excuses for our win, I could not give less of a fuck. I would give Liverpool every excuse on earth for a 1% greater chance of winning this game. It has been said that to be English is to prefer your enemy's failure to your own success, and I guess I'm a red-blooded American by that standard, the only thing I give a shit about is winning. (With a side of Woolwich schadenfreude please). And I think Liverpool winning the title gives us that marginally better chance psychologically.

I do think Will hit the nail on the head about what City's title means, but like, doesn't that viscerally disgust you? And can't you see how that hurts the game we all love? I dunno, I get a bit Jon Snow about this, that our petty human squabbles are meaningless in the face of the real war against the zombie hoards of undead.

Just one man's take on it.
I don't know that it hurts the game, in that the carbon clubs have been winning loads for 2 decades anyway. One more middle east trophy isn't likely to ruin football any.ore than preventing it is likely to save football's soul.

The other factor is Liverpool is actually a competitor of ours. City, their money, and their wages...so beyond us and any club that operates ethically. We compete directly with Liverpool on the pitch, for sponsors, and to sign players - them not winning anything while we win the CL is a larger net gain for Spurs than them winning the PL and us winning the CL. And them potentislly doing a double is the biggest potential net loss for Spurs. Best for us that City wins the league.

Liverpool fan here...

Just want to say huge congratulations for reaching the final, and it's been great to see Spurs supporters experiencing that well deserved 'high' that comes with this achievement alone. The first time I ever stood on the kop as a boy was to see Spurs beat us 0-1 at Anfield back in the eighties. Garth Crooks volley into the top corner...Anyway here's to a well fought game on the night with some great football on display from both teams. Champions League is such a great experience. Orgasmic if one wins it, crushing if one loses it, but just to be there in contention, and the run-up, the 'chatter' the plans to watch it, either there in the flesh or back home with your mates...it's boss. So 'enjoy' it all and take some great memories from it. This is as good as club footie gets in the hunt for silver. It's totally different than a league challenge. The 'world' watches for 90 minutes and your boys now have a place on the stage!!

Back
Top Bottom