We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we sell Kane we can buy high quality first team players which puts our current weaker starters under pressure or puts them on the bench which creates a STRONG SQUAD. You need a strong squad to win things. I actually thought it through more than you.
Sell Kane, Mm yes okay well I’m not quite sure if that’s a wise strategy and to me it’s flawed but let’s go with it right sell Kane arguably the most sought after striker in Europe and would command what £100million plus in a transfer fee if not more? So we replace him and to replace him to the same standard the replacement will cost the same amount but your suggesting we buy two or three? Now bare in mind every team in Europe know we’ve just cashed in our main asset and we’ve got money and we will be desperate so prices will take a sharp rise do you honestly think we are going to replace Harry Kane with 3 world class strikers with the sale money of Kane? And remember we need a right back possibly a left back another centre half with experience Alderweireld is not guaranteed to be here come August even though he’s says he will! And not forgetting Eriksen! You obviously have an idea of what SHOULD happen we all have but what will and should happen are totally different but really can you see that being a master stroke and set us on our way to world domination?

Still (unsurprisingly) down this evening after the events of last night.

I need 2019’s Jan Vertonghen.

To explain - I despaired after our cock-up in 2012. It was a long close season. But then - Jan Vertonghen wanted to sign for us. Not for Woolwich, but for us, even without CL football to come. He was convinced by something to come to our club.

Light amidst the darkness.

Our disappointment now is different to that of 2012, obviously, but I want to see our 2019 “Jan” emerging. Who will he be?

That's a completely different observation now you've re-framed it.

Against a parked bus, patience and faith in your ability to create an opening with skill and guile is all you have sadly. If we'd have gone route one for the entire 2nd half there'd have been riots on here + with 2 defensive lines tacking few chances it becomes bread and butter for defenders.

Don't see how complacency even comes into it.
Complacent in thinking we have 88 mins to try and get an equaliser. It was similar against Ajax. Conceded early, then another, and we just couldn't get going until after half time

We conceded in the 2nd minute and only really started to make more of an effort in the second half. How do think we played in the first half? I just think our tempo was very flat.

It's a general criticism I have of Poch's team. They tend to start games slowly and it's hard to get going. I might be wrong but that's how it seems to me

Complacent in thinking we have 88 mins to try and get an equaliser. It was similar against Ajax. Conceded early, then another, and we just couldn't get going until after half time

We conceded in the 2nd minute and only really started to make more of an effort in the second half. How do think we played in the first half? I just think our tempo was very flat.

It's a general criticism I have of Poch's team. They tend to start games slowly and it's hard to get going. I might be wrong but that's how it seems to me

I think it's an energy preservation thing. We seem to take our time and go for the patient game so we have more fuel in the latter stages, hence the late goals scored this season.

Tough to say but I think we purposely come out a little slower to reduce the chance of burnout. If that's because we have a thin squad or because the manager sees something in training I don't know

The slow starts are a quandary, sure... Esp. considering we used to fly out of the blocks earlier in Poch's reign.

Just got home, had a great weekend out there, we could have won that game. Hurts, but still some great memories. Let’s hope we get to experience it again someday.

Poa
Man, what a shitty way to start a match.

All has been said in terms of tactics and so forth.

The team that believed won IMO and that is the next hurdle we have to overcome. Because we dominated the game and had plenty of chances. Just didn't have the confidence or composure to make it happen.

Excited for the future.

I wish Eriksen though showed up a bit more.
Liverpool DEMANDED/EXPECTED the trophy...

WE were just pleased/amazed to be there....

THAT'S the difference!
isnt that part of the problem with this club ?

If we sell Kane we can buy high quality first team players which puts our current weaker starters under pressure or puts them on the bench which creates a STRONG SQUAD. You need a strong squad to win things. I actually thought it through more than you.

No way. Kane is absolutely invaluable to us as he is 1) World class striker, 2) Nation trained, 3) Club trained, 4) England captain, 5) Tottenham diehard. Selling Kane is probably the worst thing we could do.

There's almost a 0% chance of us growing a youth player through the ranks to match him in the next 20-30 years- Levy ought to recognize this and back him to the hilt. Not taking advantage of the heavenly gift of Harry Kane would be an utter f-ing waste even if it sets back financial plans 5-10 years...

Dele and Eriksen were definitely the two that disappointed the most yesterday. So many glorious chances that they couldn’t even test Alison on was truly shocking. That stings the most in the end.

Glad it was worth it and hopefully you enjoyed it mate. That's what it's all about.
It was brilliant in the sense of the away weekend with the lads. Knowing so many Tottenham fans. Rally cool spending the days in the city like that. And I didn’t had nothing planned. Stayed the nights at the airport and the days in the city. Just with google maps helping me not getting lost at the underground ahahah
But I’m knackered as hell. Just yesterday I walked almost 12 miles without sleeping. But come on you spurs :)

Looking back I really felt bad for guys like Son, Sissoko, Lloris and Lucas. Ali and Eriksen don’t really mind whether they stay here or not next season. Thanks for the memories lads but it’s time to move on in the project

Overall, the team looked pretty sharp yesterday but it just came down to a lack of clinical finishing. Tottenham had their opportunities, most notably from Son.

Over the past year or so, it's become pretty clear that he's is capable of being a world class attacker and it looks as if Poch has been more than willing to make him the centerpiece of the attack (including yesterday's final). However Son's inconsistency around the goal has cost the team recently. Yesterday, he showed moments of individual brilliance but he should have put away at least one of those opportunities. Whether or not those opportunities were created on his own or not (most were) is futile - the end result amounted to nothing.

If he can prove that he can be a more clinical finisher, I think going forward, Tottenham can build the attack around him, even more so than Kane. He's got all the intangibles (pace, quickness, dribbling, skill, ambidexterity) of being a top 10 attacker in the world - he just needs to be more reliable around the goal.

People seem to think the pen decision went to VAR. I don’t believe so because:
1. I didn’t see stadium screen indicating VAR penalty decision which is a must.
2. If VAR was used the ref will do the stupid 2 hand Square TV sign and confirm pen decision but he didn’t.

Yes the the ref did talk to VAR and a couple of exchanges and stopped there, can we get the recording of what said, I bet Var told the ref something like “it’s not a pen but if you support Liverpoo and uefa wants them to win....”

Overall, the team looked pretty sharp yesterday but it just came down to a lack of clinical finishing. Tottenham had their opportunities, most notably from Son.

Over the past year or so, it's become pretty clear that he's is capable of being a world class attacker and it looks as if Poch has been more than willing to make him the centerpiece of the attack (including yesterday's final). However Son's inconsistency around the goal has cost the team recently. Yesterday, he showed moments of individual brilliance but he should have put away at least one of those opportunities. Whether or not those opportunities were created on his own or not (most were) is futile - the end result amounted to nothing.

If he can prove that he can be a more clinical finisher, I think going forward, Tottenham can build the attack around him, even more so than Kane. He's got all the intangibles (pace, quickness, dribbling, skill, ambidexterity) of being a top 10 attacker in the world - he just needs to be more reliable around the goal.

Couldn’t agree more. Not just Son, but the Spurs as a whole have a real problem finishing. Been that way all season. We are world class in the ability to produce opportunities, but not so much in capitalizing.

Not sure why all the negativity here over the match. 65 % possession impresses me, and I can’t hardly believe Liverpool was sitting back and allowing it for the most part. That style is not Klop. He’s too gung ho about attacking to think they’d take that tactic. They looked rattled to me, couldn’t even keep it on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom