Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Take your head out that book you're remarkably managing to read whilst browsing a football forum, get down the pub, get laid and chill the fuck out.
giphy.gif

I'm uneasy at Poch saying Wanyama' cartilage issue is minor. Just a small tear in that knee cartilage must be a weak point and with our crazy training could open up.

Starting with Eriksen/Dembele/Alli/Kane/Dier is absolutely capable of winning the opener. But long term, it's too slow to win the prem. So IMO we need to change it up.

We DESPERATELY need Wanyama's pace. He effortlessly eats up ground and has brilliant angles to cut out huge swathes of the pitch to limit the opposition. We can't have Dier next to Dembele and Eriksen in the middle because it's too slow over the course of a season.

I wish Wanyama, Rose and Son were fit. Them out has proven my pace theory and how important it is. I would have started this with no signings (at home)

-----------------Kane--------------
-------------------Alli---------------
Rose--Dembele--Wanyama--Son
Davies-----Jan----Toby-----Trippier

Or Away at tough op:
-----------------Eriksen----------
Rose--Dembele--Wanyama--Trippier
Davies-----Jan------Toby-------Dier

We can keep a balance of pace/tenacity and get Dembele more into attacks and in the box. Kane has been incandescent with rage in recent matches. Mostly because he's getting triple teamed. He needs a distraction in the box and wrecking ball Dembele can draw those covering players. He can go for it, expend energy knowing he's only playing 50 mins. So we can turn up the heat with Alli or Eriksen replacing him and playing with the same intensity.

Eriksen/Alli will obviously will be the first to replace the creaking Dembele to turn the screw. Poch needs depth on the bench, looking and seeing kids or Jansen when we are in trouble isn't great. So introducing either Alli or Eriksen raises the crowd and players.

Obviously Eriksen/Alli will both start. And will probably score/assist but I'm worried the slow combo of him/Kane/Dembele/Dier/Davies will still allow managers to draw/beat us/drop points via crappy but pacy players. So one of them plus Dier should be replaced with Wanyama and another pacy player like Rose/Son.

6 goals in two games needs to be reversed. It's nothing to do with quality. Alli/Eriksen are class. It's all about our slow midfield. Dier at least needs to be dropped. Nothing to do with his skill. It's just his pace compounds our other slow players.

We need to be smart. Overloading the team with amazing players isn't enough. We need pace too. It's time to use subs often and rotate out Dembele/Alli/Eriksen for each other. That way we keep a pacy core on the pitch. Before my fan club claims I want to drop x player. That's not true. They will play as many mins as everyone else. We have to realize that players like Eriksen, Dier etc are not good from a standing start and Wembley is physically demanding.

Our fast kids are too green/soft/not ready. Last season I was baying for the introduction of Nkoudou and in preseason he's been looking good. So with Rose out that may be an option but he's a ball watcher.

Big shout out to our tank big Vic.

Reckon he's going to be a huge player for us this year
When we signed him I was expecting a brick wall, a beast braking up play, I had no idea he was also a baller. In his first game for us, he was dribbling past players, quick forward passes.

He is better than Kante, he does all the running and dirty work that Kante does, but Wanyamma is a baller, Kante is not. His ability on the ball enables us to bypass the oppo press, break that press and we are away. (It's Dier's main flaw, when he's pressed he makes mistakes, but I love still love him).

When we signed him I was expecting a brick wall, a beast braking up play, I had no idea he was also a baller. In his first game for us, he was dribbling past players, quick forward passes.

He is better than Kante, he does all the running and dirty work that Kante does, but Wanyamma is a baller, Kante is not. His ability on the ball enables us to bypass the oppo press, break that press and we are away. (It's Dier's main flaw, when he's pressed he makes mistakes, but I love still love him).

I rate him so highly I may get his name on the back of my shirt. So tough and effortless and I love it when he suddenly takes his pace or speed up a gear and catches people off guard. His reading of the game is class. For me he was the bargain of the summer last year

I'm not at all comfortable with the "putting in pocket" and such polemics. Nervous as fuck. Want a big win but would not really be very unhappy with a draw. Want to see the team owning the Wembley pitch and showing playing there will not be an issue.

One of the blessings of now having Sanchez. Move Dier into midfield and let yourself ease Wanyama back in rather than throw him in the deep end.
I think Sanchez has to be eased in more than Wanyama. Wanyama is rusty, but he's used to being part of the band, Sanchez will take time to bed in and feel comfortable I'm sure.

I'd keep Dier and Wanyama in the 11 for now, but be more thoughtful of subbing Wanyama off if he is having a bad day. Or go 4 at the back for the next few weeks and have Dier ready for Wanyama or blood Sanchez when we're comfortable.

Think Sanchez will be massive, just think it will be October/November before we see that side of him.

I think Sanchez has to be eased in more than Wanyama. Wanyama is rusty, but he's used to being part of the band, Sanchez will take time to bed in and feel comfortable I'm sure.

I'd keep Dier and Wanyama in the 11 for now, but be more thoughtful of subbing Wanyama off if he is having a bad day. Or go 4 at the back for the next few weeks and have Dier ready for Wanyama or blood Sanchez when we're comfortable.

Think Sanchez will be massive, just think it will be October/November before we see that side of him.
Perhaps you're right. When he is up and running, we'll be afforded a lot more leeway with Dier/Wanyama though. Likewise, I think another attacking midfielder puts more pressure on Alli to perform.

Perhaps you're right. When he is up and running, we'll be afforded a lot more leeway with Dier/Wanyama though. Likewise, I think another attacking midfielder puts more pressure on Alli to perform.
Dele definitely needs to feel some pressure on the back of that outing. Not poor, just irrelevant for large patches. These are the matches your stars have to find the fire in their bellies to go after - Kane and Moose did, no one else seemed to. Eriksen was equally as guilty, moments of class on deadballs but not much hint of ruthlessness in open play.

Most painful thing was the lack of passion, even when we were dominating possession it didn't feel like we wanted to bury them.

Worst game he's played for us. I love the man though and has been a revaluation for us last year, plenty of kind in the bank with the big man.

I guess Poch took Dier off because he was on a yellow??? If so then fair enough but should have been Wanyama for me to bring off.

Back
Top Bottom