Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see no reason why Wanyama couldn't be a Dembele replacement to be honest - Wanyama absolutely grew as a footballer last season, he's a lot more than a destroyer. In fact, he even SCORES more than Dembele. He can beat a man, not quite with ease as Dembele, more brute power than graceful elegance but he isn't a hard tackling central midfielder like a Tettey, he's pretty similar to Vieira in all honesty.

Again, stats in isolation and without context don't mean a lot..........but
This did surprise me, I didn't expect Wanyama to be this prolific at dribbling. It is the reason why I think he is better than Dier at DM, defensively and positionally both him and Dier there is little to choose from, but rarely do you see Dier attempt to take on a player. It's important as it's another tool in the amour to beat an opposition press, Dier's main weakness is when he is pressed he is often forced to playing a bad pass. (I am not having a pop at Dier, I love him and he is vital to our tactical flexibility, without Dier Poch can't switch between 4 or 3 at the back without having to make subs).

He was getting more and more direct in his play as the season went on. I'm sure I remember him pulling out one his first mazy runs against Chelsea in January as I was sat there thinking "not the right game to start that!" And he went and pulled it off.

Why didn't Wanyama play yesterday? Can't seem to find an explanation.
Pochettino gave it yesterday...it's not great news...
"Spurs’ challenge against City in Nashville was made more difficult by the absence of Victor Wanyama, who missed the second successive pre-season outing after also sitting out Tuesday’s match against Roma.
“He played against PSG and he suffered a small problem in his cartilage in his left knee,” said Pochettino. “But sure, for next week, he will be available to train again.
“Will he be ok for the start of the Premier League? We hope yes but we need to see how he develops and how he is next week when we come back to London.”

But still one of the best defences in the league? I'll take it.

That season we leaked 5 on the last day despite not conceding more than 2 in any game. We ended up sharing the lowest goals conceded with a United IIRC.

Was our lowest in the PL era until last year. When the boys smashed it.

Bit concerned if we don't have him for the start of the season.
Only time we looked comfortable in middle pre season was when he was playing.
Looked on it.

Back
Top Bottom