Victor Wanyama

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Keep up guys ... Wanyama took a knock to his other knee against West Ham, he's already back in full training and should be available if selected for Crystal Palace on Saturday ...

It takes a while to get full fitness back, it's not at all unusual to get a minor injury elsewhere as the body adjusts, Victor's not ready for the scrapheap just yet ... he's only 27 ....
He's not back in full training just yet. Trained on his own yesterday. But should be back to full training tomorrow.

But that is admittedly just splitting hairs

My policy is to ‘play’ players back to fitness following injury

Cool. Sling 'em all out there... You wouldn't for a moment consider slagging all and sundry for us playing poorly, would you?

Pffffffft...... Clearly i'm wasting my time expecting anything approaching a proper discussion with you. Off you pop, back to your kisses, cards and cuntery, you sad ol' puppy dawg.

Cool. Sling 'em all out there... You wouldn't for a moment consider slagging all and sundry for us playing poorly, would you?

Pffffffft...... Clearly i'm wasting my time expecting anything approaching a proper discussion with you. Off you pop, back to your kisses, cards and cuntery, you sad ol' puppy dawg.
I didn't slag anyone off - are you well? Made a comment on what I believe was a wrong decision. Or are you unable to accept any form of constructive criticism towards Poch?

1. Should we afford Wanyama the patience and the playing minutes required to see if his knee injuries are so chronic that he can no longer compete at a top level? "We did with Lamela" people may say. Which leads to....

2. Is DM a position that is proportionately difficult and expense to replace / fill that we would be better off with trying to get him back to fitness than finding another player that can compete.

I would say the answers are no and no.

I have no problem with keeping Vic on, standing by him and giving him the care and support he needs to see if he has it in him to get back to his best. But he needs replacing in the short term, we are criminally soft in that area at the moment and it is costing us goals.

We have never had a problem finding decent defensive midfielders, they are fairly plentiful. We also have a history of being over sentimental / slack in the transfer window and ending up playing them for a season too long past there best.

Which was part of my above interpretation.

The same question remains:

Are you condoning it be standard policy to play unfit, under-performing players ahead of fit ones?

If not then why you playing the blame game?

The point ArcspacE ArcspacE is making though is that he was technically "fit" or had recovered from the injury - what a player then needs is games to rediscover match fitness. There's a difference. If he wasn't fit-recovered from injury, then he shouldn't be on the bench, but he was.

What Arcspace was saying was that he then needed to be given more starts to recover match sharpness. We know this is a thing, any of us that have played, even on an amateur level, but particularly at pro/PL level. You don't just come back from a long injury lay off and have match fitness. But it is also a balancing act between playing a player in this condition verses playing inferior players who are match sharp.

Personally I think when it's poorly performing Dier/Sissoko v non match sharp Wanyama, the benefits of risking him (in the right set up - maybe start with a 433) in the hope that a run of games gets him there make it a worthy risk. But accept It's a tough call. I understand both sides, but like Arc, there were times when I thought he should have been started and given a chance to get some rhythm back, rather than sit on the bench and come into games cold or get ad hoc starts in mish mash cup teams.

He literally started 4 of our last 5 league games last season.

and was garbage in every single one of them. The fact he hasn't started or featured much since is probably down to Pochettino realising he can't really be relied on anymore (amongst his injury trouble)

He literally started 4 of our last 5 league games last season.

and was garbage in every single one of them. The fact he hasn't started or featured much since is probably down to Pochettino realising he can't really be relied on anymore (amongst his injury trouble)
He was far from garbage - stick to FM. Wanyama was available as early as 5 Jan 2018

I hope he comes back looking like his old self, but it's been what 16 months since he looked decent? That knee injuries killed his career at this level I fear he's lost his pace and power that made him what he was before and those things are unfortunately things that can't be coached back.

It is more now already.
Last time was 7:1 win over Hull. It took place in 21st of May 2017. That is 534 days. That is 17,5 months.
That is sad.

I really hope he comes back, but how many from the recent past have? I can only recall Lamela...

I thought he played well today. Didn't look spectacular, but he did a lot of very good work linking things up and slowing Palace down. The tank was empty after 60 minutes, but he kept fighting.
Good that Dier can get a break without throwing sand in the gears.

I thought he played well today. Didn't look spectacular, but he did a lot of very good work linking things up and slowing Palace down. The tank was empty after 60 minutes, but he kept fighting.
Good that Dier can get a break without throwing sand in the gears.

Slow start and slow finish, but Anfield goal aside, I thought he looked better than we've seen in some time.

Promising.

He's done. Get rid so we can move forward. At the moment hes just taking up a foreign spot in the team and adding fuck all. We have too many of them.

He's done. Get rid so we can move forward. At the moment hes just taking up a foreign spot in the team and adding fuck all. We have too many of them.

This is where it would be great to have a local loan club so he can do a long rehab at Hotspur Way and still get some competitive games without affecting our registration situation.

Shame what happened to him, but we need warm bodies in the lineup, and particularly in CM right now...

Back
Top Bottom