Troy Parrott

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Greenwood has a bunch of appearances but has he started more than 1 or 2 games?

Jose is talking about having us rely on Parrott as our starting striker.

But Parrott could have been given more minutes both under Poch and when Jose arrived. It could have taken a bit of pressure of Harry who has practically had to play every minute of every game which may have contributed to tearing his hamstring. 10 mins here, 20 mins there, 1 or 2 starts

Apart from decent PR there is virtually nothing that suggests Parrott can and should be in the Tottenham squad. I’d love to say he’s shown the same qualities as Keane, Fowler, Owen did at 17 but he has not.

I feel it’s fairer to the guy to give him time and space to learn his craft, so I think Jose is right here. He’s looking after him and he will get his minutes.

When he came on against Burnley we were 5-0 up and not really trying to score but just seeing the match out. Therefore not helpful but if he is on the bench and we are losing and starting to dominate to try and get an equaliser we have little to lose by bringing him on for last 10/15 mins. That is what we should do and take it from there. He might just get on the end of a cross into the box and end up a hero.

Ive not seen anything from Troy yet that tells me he is banging on the door and causing the manager a selection headache.

Im sure he is talented, but I dont think he is ready yet for regular PL action. He needs another couple years of development. Then try again at 19.

Does he count as taking a place in the 25 man squad or not because he's youth? Seems a bit pointless to include him if he's never going to play.

Does he count as taking a place in the 25 man squad or not because he's youth? Seems a bit pointless to include him if he's never going to play.

Hes not in the squad of 25. Home grown youth player. A double whammy of positives.

But I think he needs a loan spell to get some game time if he’s that good.

said it at the time Poch's refusal to send young players out on loan to play against men has backfired, poch (now Jose) would have 5/6 young players ready to play 10/15 mins at the end of games (getting EPL match time)

He won't get game time this season, it would probably be for the best if we send him on loan to QPR or something next season.
I'd keep him for the season, give him some minutes off the bench to let him test himself against PL opponents (as Jose implied in his latest press conference). And then send him out on loan next season once he signs a new deal.

said it at the time Poch's refusal to send young players out on loan to play against men has backfired, poch (now Jose) would have 5/6 young players ready to play 10/15 mins at the end of games (getting EPL match time)
Sending players out on loan is no guarantee - Onomah couldn't cope with loans, Clarke sat on his arse for six months - sometimes you don't find your feet until you join up with the squad, and sometimes a loan is just what's needed.

I agree that Poch could have used more loans but would argue that Tanganga has benefited from not going out and playing lower level football ... swings and roundabouts

Sending players out on loan is no guarantee - Onomah couldn't cope with loans, Clarke sat on his arse for six months - sometimes you don't find your feet until you join up with the squad, and sometimes a loan is just what's needed.

I agree that Poch could have used more loans but would argue that Tanganga has benefited from not going out and playing lower level football ... swings and roundabouts

100% this. Not every player is the same. Having a blanket treatment of all is not the way forward.

Generally under Poch a loan meant you were in the shop window.

Some players just need a bit of game time to learn game craft and get the mental side of the game right. Dealing with experienced opposition, crowds, unforeseen circumstances etc etc
You just can’t get that at training or youth level.

The flip side is the massive risk of injury and being physically ready to deal with what is about to come at you.

Has to be said Parrott contract issue may be the cause of lack of minutes to date if he’s not signing the professional terms being put in front of him.

At least that’s one reason why he’s being kept at the club right now and not loaned out as well.

But I think we can all agree that they should have had one loan at least to at the very least test the waters. And some players even improve in between loans. Edwards loan to Norwich was a disaster but his run in Excelsior was good for example.

Has to be said Parrott contract issue may be the cause of lack of minutes to date if he’s not signing the professional terms being put in front of him.

At least that’s one reason why he’s being kept at the club right now and not loaned out as well.
He's not even allowed to sign on professional terms until he turns 18 isn't he?

That Martinelli is doing ok isn't he. 18 years old.

There is no point in holding young players back. Give them the chance, if they are good enough they will flourish. But they have to be given opportunities

From today's press conference.

So bits and pieces - 15 minutes here and there, at least initially, maybe the odd start later on this season is my reading of it.

At aged 17 (18 in 2 weeks), that's not unreasonable, few players at that age will play more

Fook me, this still sounds kinda over the top how he put it.
You guys should start listening to actual pressers instead of following sensation-hungry journos.

Part of it is true, but
1) I don't recall him saying "not ready at all"
2) He did say that Troy have to get some experiences and has to learn the way Tanganga has. Also that Tanganga is 3 yrs older than Troy.
3) As he himself points out in the end - Mou said that Troy could get minutes. How is that anything to do with being "not ready at all"??? If player is not ready at all... he should be miles away from matchday squad!
Might be thought that he is "not ready at all" to be equal substitute to Kane, but that would be very high bar to set anyway or what!

That Martinelli is doing ok isn't he. 18 years old.

There is no point in holding young players back. Give them the chance, if they are good enough they will flourish. But they have to be given opportunities
Difference between Martinelli and Troy is that Martinelli was already playing first team football when he was brought into Woolwich. His bedding in period had already happened in Brazil.

Difference between Martinelli and Troy is that Martinelli was already playing first team football when he was brought into Woolwich. His bedding in period had already happened in Brazil.

Exactly. He was given a chance, at 16. Brazilian football is tough but he was thrown in and proved himself to be capable

Its not the age, it's not the experience, it's all about the individual. But you can't know about the individual until he is given the chance. Tanganga has no more men's football experience than Parrott but he has come in and shown he can cope. There really is nothing to lose in giving young players a chance at any level of football

Exactly. He was given a chance, at 16. Brazilian football is tough but he was thrown in and proved himself to be capable

Its not the age, it's not the experience, it's all about the individual. But you can't know about the individual until he is given the chance. Tanganga has no more men's football experience than Parrott but he has come in and shown he can cope. There really is nothing to lose in giving young players a chance at any level of football

yes but Tanganga is aged 20 at least 2 years older than Parrott.

I'm very much on the side of bedding Parrott in gently, starting with 15/20 minute appearances and taking it from there with the expectation of a maximum of half a dozen starts this season. But that means being flexible both ways - both accelerating number of appearances as well as reining back a tad, depending on how he looks and feels.

At 17 going on 18 his body (although more physically developed than most of his age) is still not fully grown, so need to introduce him to mens PL and CL football gradually as its very different to the youth football he's used to.

Back
Top Bottom