Tottenham Vs Liverpool - Sat 11th Jan 2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

.....Then it should qualify as dangerous under the premise that he wasn't in control.

Intent needn't come into it.

No replay I've seen shows it as below the ankle.
Gonna have to agree to disagree there mate. Either way it was at minimum an absolute yellow that wan't even given as a foul.

thumbnail

Same as the PEA earlier today that was reviewed by VAR and a straight red given.
Even BBC text we’re surprised he didn’t get any repercussion. (Perhaps the lack of on-field reaction means it gets dealt with retrospectively?)

it won’t, because they’re the new best-team-ever
And that's where VAR and the FA really needs to sort it's shit out. Retrospective cards and discipline for diving and shit like this (so we don't have to add even more delays to the game).

It's not the reason we lost. It's just vinegar piss in the post match pint.

Can’t fault the tactics - though at same time don’t like it.

thought most ran their socks off for the club today. Congrats Tanganga - May it be the first of many; Aurier good; Gazza good saves; Dav & Toby solid; Winks ran himself into the ground and found some forward passes; Lucas the same. GLC good when he came on. Coco ran around a lot. Thought Sonny had a slightly off game. Not sure if it was Dele or is brother that showed up tonight. Rose a joke. Erikssen as disgrace - sellhim or drop him please.

such a shame and pity to see my club/our club resort to these tactics and this performance. How we have fallen.

Liverpool in 2nd gear most of the game...

Can’t fault the tactics - though at same time don’t like it.

thought most ran their socks off for the club today. Congrats Tanganga - May it be the first of many; Aurier good; Gazza good saves; Dav & Toby solid; Winks ran himself into the ground and found some forward passes; Lucas the same. GLC good when he came on. Coco ran around a lot. Thought Sonny had a slightly off game. Not sure if it was Dele or is brother that showed up tonight. Rose a joke. Erikssen as disgrace - sellhim or drop him please.

such a shame and pity to see my club/our club resort to these tactics and this performance. How we have fallen.

Liverpool in 2nd gear most of the game...
Yes, we resorted to disappointing tactics, but we were forced to through circumstance. I think it will do the players’ mentality the world of good: massively depleted with important players missing physically (Hugo, Harry, Moussa, Ben, Tanguy) or spiritually (Eriksen) - but we still came off better than those teams much higher up the table.

players back and stable, a good FA Cup and CL run under our belts and on we go.

Think a 4-4-1-1 with the same defense as today and a midfield of Sess, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Aurier with Lamela playing behind Son upfront would be so sexy.

We played the only game we could with the squad available and with VAR and a bit more luck on our side, and some proper finishing, we would have at least got a point.

So disappointing that while VAR can spot a gnats cock offside it can't do what it was designed to do and that is correct "clear and obvious errors" the linesman/referee made a clear and obvious error in awarding a throw in incorrectly, what's so hard to correct about that? to argue it's not part of the build up? Bollocks.

As for the straight red challenge, he's a Liverpool player never getting given that's just the way it is. When even the most bias dipper pundits think it's a red you know VAR fecked up ... two big mistakes both in Liverpool's favour, they probably don't need a 12th man every week but it sure helps.

Fucking hell how much of a bore fest was that? Does anyone who believes it want to say we still look a better team without Kane?

Feeble finishing lost us that, against a reallly poor Liverpool team as well. Lucas, Son, Lo Celso, Dele, Lamela weak as piss with their shooting.

I expected a defeat but Christ have a bit of heart Spurs, have some guts and have a proper scrap for the money you earn. It seems we really do need a revamp, we massively lacked hunger and teeth tonight not Lucas and Tanganga come out of it with any credibility IMO.

Was at the game but I saw it differently to you. Could have / perhaps should have had a draw and you dont get that against the league leaders without scrapping. Our passes were often sloppy and we gave the ball away unnecessarily but the overall performance was so much better than those against Man U, Chelski, Norwich & S’hampton.

I missed the second half as had to get to a family pissup/party. havent read the rest of the posts so apologies if i double up on what any one else has already said

To lose 1-0 to the league leaders without :

1) our 1st choice goalie
2) our record signing
3) our best centre forward
4) no recognised holding player in a 3511/2 that demands one

aint bad. I thought we played well in the first half within the system that we set up, lots of nice little one twos, moved the ball a lot quicker than we have done, trying to play fast on the break. A bit too deep to make most of them work because of the oppo pace up front, and rightly so.

I absolutely love Poch and always will but there is no way he would have gone with that system today to counter Liverpool's front 3, and it nearly worked, even without key players. This of course based on what I saw in the first half as didnt see the second but I hear we should have at least pinched a goal.

2 years ago we beat them 4-1. They then went and bought two world class players in the places they REALLY needed them (£66M goalkeeper and a £75M centreback) - we signed no one for 18 months. That my friends is the crux of the matter

Last edited:
Leicester have nothing to do with our season so their results don't matter. Do you seriously think we are catching them??
I think we have maybe a better chance of catching them than Chelsea.
That's still not a great chance but it's a chance.
Chelsea are on the up-Leicester are slipping.

aint bad. I thought he played well in the first half
And better still in the second, especially after Lamela and Lo Celso came on.
They then went and bought two players in the places they REALLY needed them (£66M goalkeeper and a £75M centreback) - we signed no one for 18 months. That my friends is the crux of the matter
And we can't do that. Infrastructure first unfortunately. I believe this is correct provided that it improves our spending power in the market. Not this month, but the next two windows.

A la United
Yes, and in those days, the fear was Ferguson. Question him and you would be exluded from the pressers which was a death knell in the pre-internet era.

These days with so many suitors, the clubs flatter to deceive and there's only so many tickets. Same effect though. Either you're on the inside or you're nobody.

Does anyone who believes it want to say we still look a better team without Kane?
But in that "best player" thread from a while ago, I was reliably informed by some fans that Son could replace Kane's role like-for-like with essentially no drop-off. A few even ventured that Son would statistically outperform Kane in a CF role.

Come to think of it, the same fans also mentioned something about Korea, but I wasn't paying attention to that part.

Probably won’t even get mentioned on MOTD - did anyone struggle through the Sky after match? Did they discuss how lucky he was to still be on the pitch?

oh, and did anyone notice how TAA (best RB in world (TM)) was pretty invisible?
Sky were awful post game. Really did not make any attempt to hide their bias.

Sky were awful post game. Really did not make any attempt to hide their bias.
That’s why I turn it off: normally do even if we win, but I’d already had the misfortune to watch a few minutes of the pre-match nonsense so it sounds like it was as I suspected.

well, when Liverpool’s run comes to an end against Villa or such, see how they spin it.

Back
Top Bottom