Tottenham vs Burnley: Revenge of the Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see the usual negative nancies are joined by the melter brigade today.

This was NOT a terrible performance. We were slow today but we still controlled large parts of the game. Wembley is in the back of the players' minds but I think fans have to take responsibility. It was deadly quiet here for the first half of the game. The crowd picked up second half and so did the players. Then they started fucking off ten minutes from the end for the train and the players became more wobbly. Not saying it was the only cause, but it really annoyed me sitting here seeing more and more red seats appearing before the final whistle. The crowd need to do our bit and I think if we do thyme the players will find the Wembley adjustment easier. We need to do that as well to rebutt the Wembley curse bullshit coming out of the press.

Anyhow, as usual I have to be the voice of reason against the din of the drama queens. People forget that last season we had wobbly form early on. We're not at WHL and expectations should be managed. Three games in and our form isn't poor, it's average. We wee by no means awful today. A top four finish will be a good season for us when you factor in the loss of WHL. Any idiot who has set themselves up for winning the title should stop and have a look at themselves. We are perfectly fine and on course for a top for finish. We are only three games in and we have taken 50% of the points available and lost most of those points to the reigning champions and the team that beat the champions two weeks ago. It's not like we never dropped that amount of points earlier season last year, even if it was a while before a loss. Remember all the draws. If we get to eight or ten games and we are still dropping 50% of the points, then I can understand negativity and melting. But after three games, only one of which we lost, it's ridiculous. You lot should get off your arses, get to a fucking game and support your team if you're that fucking bothered about it, instead of sitting in your underpants crying foul.

Anyhow, now to find the quickest way home to settle down for tonight's Arse Fan TV....
Embarrassing drunk cock-socket

We need at least 3 more signings. And they gotta be players who can bring something to our starting 11 not just hopeful squad fillers.
I've always maintained that we need someone in CM who can pass the ball a lot better than our current lot. I know I sound like a broken record here, but we have too many physical players who can fight/run but can't pick out a one-touch accurate forward pass. That's what we desperately need above all else.

Think we also need more pace in wide areas.

It was horrible - Burnley were/are crap and everyone around me could see an equaliser coming and was screaming at them to shut it down, it's just not good enough to throw 2 points away like that, I hope Poch bollocked them all something proper.
And, I know it's not particularly nice to keep going on about it, but Sissoko is a just a bloody disaster, we have to get rid of him - I'd far rather have Onomoah/Edwards/whoever sat on the bench.
Need Aurier in, and Rose back, badly.
And yes, I'd take 4th like a shot.

When players do that it nearly always has an undertone.

Could be anything but infectious celebration like we had last season breeds enthusiasm and momentum.

My view is lets hope this current crop give us something to smile about this season. The start of the next campaign will see a starting line-up that is wuite different.

Alli could easily become a player who does more harm than good. Has an air of I am too good for this club about him. Hope I am wrong.

Pochettino needs his thinking hat.

You and your other account mindblown are total WUMs.

Last edited:
Controlled game until the last few mins. We were all over the shop and our passing was poor and kept lumping it forward. That goal comes from is trying to play a hopeful through ball in the 92nd minute. Why not just run to the corner??? We didnt need a goal late. Just needed to time waste. Sometimes when it isn't going to be a goal fest. Just keep the ball. Fall over, earn free kicks. Do whatever it takes. We gave it away and they go and score. The goal was coming as we kept giving it away and they kept getting close. Points dropped. This Wembley curse bollocks is very worrying. And our options from the bench are even more worrying. So far we've bought defensive players. But we desperately need more attacking options. Seriously. Sissoko? What a joke of a footballer. Just sell him! Surely an academy player capable of the basics, which he doesn't seem to be able to do

Going to the game, I don't have a great track record recently... Sorry in advance.

Well, I did warn you all.

Highlight of the game being the bunch of twats a few rows down who decided to try and have a square up in the second half, one of them had an absolute shocker as he was pushed over by a lad half his size.

But... but... wasn't Trippier our first choice right back last season? Hadn't we cunningly duped Manchester City by selling them the inferior player?

And well played for leaving all our signings till the last moment because those dropped points won't be important
Who was the idiot that said that. Literally tried to delude himself into thinking Trippier had been our main right-back throughout the season

Eriksen should have been off on 60 minutes for Winks....maybe brought on Sanchez when the mighty Burnley were carving us open at will....?

Looooooooong season if we dont deal with this sharpish. No idea why we have stopped playing football.
Uh, that's a pretty standard performance against a side set-up like Burnley. If you watched us last season you'd know and you'd realize the need for tricky, pacy players that can take on defenders and create chances

Think we also need more pace in wide areas.
Sure that's one of several issues to resolve, but for me our biggest problem for years now has been our lack of creativity and passing quality in central midfield.

I wonder if we could hijack the Carvalho deal from WH. Not saying he is necessarily the perfect choice but he is someone who has good passing range and quality with the ball at his feet.

Poch's biggest weakness, how awful he handles subs. Every single season. Leaves it too late or brings on wrong players.

What the fuck did Sissoko do today to shore up the defense? Fuck all. Baffling.
Not the most inspiring bench though, is it? Sissoko played well when he came on and actually created a lot of chances who our attackers squandered

Full backs weren't great again, Eriksen poor, but Harry still fluffed 3 chances to get a win similar to the Newcastle one, should have finished them off and we would be all happy

Just missing a step, some green shoots (the CB's, Dier and Hugo back in business) but we are starting slow, but not going backwards like Woolwich, 4th with no home ground will be great, we'll be fighting Liverpool all season long

We'll get into our stride in the autumn as ever, but shame we havent picked up the Chelsea draw and the burnley win, we should have

Sure that's one of several issues to resolve, but for me our biggest problem for years now has been our lack of creativity and passing quality in central midfield.
I wonder if we could hijack the Carvalho deal from WH. Not saying he is necessarily the perfect choice but he is someone who has good passing range and quality with the ball at his feet.

I agree to a point but we create a lot more chances and have way more possession then literally every team we play but our issue is we need 15-20 shots on goal to get 1. Same last week and this week where we would win easily if we took a our chances. Aside kamikaze defending late in both games, which cost as points the performances and chances created was very good. I rarely see a game we don't play better then the other team in but that isn't what counts in the end. It's about the goals. We need to improve that ratio. So signing players that can give us more pace, take on players and test the keeper instead of always passing it when pressed and get us the goal no matter how well or poor we are playing.

Uh, that's a pretty standard performance against a side set-up like Burnley. If you watched us last season you'd know and you'd realize the need for tricky, pacy players that can take on defenders and create chances
LOL

Last season when we were flying and beating teams by 3....4.....5.....6 goals, I didn't sit there thinking "fuck me we need a tricky winger so we can score 10".

The players are playing poorly.

Last year we went forward. Last year we took our chances. If they went forward more this season, and took their chances, we might have won today, maybe last week too.

And you would have forgotten all about your fantasy dribbler.....that we are not even looking to sign might I add.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom