Tottenham Hotspur Vs Wolverhampton Yam Yam Wanderers. (Sat 17th Feb 15:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was ill that game wasn’t he? That’s why he got taken off. Wasn’t 100% fit and was struggling.

Palace targeted him all game. Long balls down the left flank. Regardless of whether he was ill or not, they targeted his lack of physical presence.

Emerson came on, locked down the left side and we ended up scoring twice and winning.

Davies is a great 4th choice centre back. But an absolute terrible Inverted left full back.

For as much as Davies and Royal are decent enough stop gaps at centre back but they both are very poor as inverted full backs. Both nowhere near good enough to play that way. Everything becomes much slower if they play on Saturday. Hopefully it’s just precautionary regarding porro and udogie

Royal has performed perfectly decently every time he's been asked to play as an inverted Full Back - which hasn't been that often as he's mostly been helping out on the left or at CB.

Porro has been pretty much anonymous for months now. Apart from the goal against Burnley in the FA Cup he's not provided anything offensively for quite some time. A week or two off might get him back to his early season levels and Royal is perfectly fine option against the opposition we face.

Udogie missing is another kettle of fish. Davies is a wonderful soldier but there's no one who can replace what Udogie brings to the team.

If you had to pick one to play who would you pick Porro or Udogie?

I think I’d go Udogie to play, both are invaluable but Udogie slightly more imo for me
Definitely Udogie , he's better defensively than Porro and Royal is okish defensively. If Neto plays on the right against Davies it could get very ugly.

VDV has the speed to support Ben, no worry.

That's how we set up anyway.....

U-dog doesn't do a load of last ditch defending; that falls to VDV.

Losing Destony for the game is of course not optimum, but Ben is perfectly capable of playing back-up LB.

They caught us at a time where we had lost Maddison and Van de Ven to injuries and Udogie and Romero were both suspended a week prior. Richy was injured at the time too.

They were good though that day.

....And headlocks and suplexes were considered legal.

Much less worried about Emerson.

He's a good enough footballer and relatively sound positionally when inverted. He was excellent against Everton recently there.

Davies has done a real good job at centre back but his performance against Palace at LWB was a real cause for concern. Funnily enough, Emerson came on for him at LWB and changed the game completely by nullifying Palace's threat down that side.

Ange said Ben was playing hurt that day.... (Emerson was also carrying a knock fwiw).

Ironically Emerson may have helped on that side, but Palace were actually much better overall in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
Palace targeted him all game. Long balls down the left flank. Regardless of whether he was ill or not, they targeted his lack of physical presence.

Emerson came on, locked down the left side and we ended up scoring twice and winning.

Davies is a great 4th choice centre back. But an absolute terrible Inverted left full back.
He lost five headers in the first 45 mins, was an absolute car crash. Would rather play Kulu there

------------------Vicario-------------------
Emerson---Romero----Dragusin---VDV
--------------------Bissouma---------------
--------------Sarr---------Maddison-------
----Kulu-------------------------------Son--
--------------------Richi--------------------

I didn’t say he wasn’t, I agreee he struggles with the role, it isn’t his game. I remember the game. It’s just Ange came out afterwards and said he wasn’t 100%. Of course, that could have been a ruse to protect the player.

We get our two centre backs back and then possibly lose both full backs who are massive to how we play. The drop off when 1 doesn’t play is big but to potentially lose two would be horrible.
I still wouldn’t be surprised if both are fit though.

I agree except for the last line. If they both havent trained this week then it’s going to be tricky for them to play. We’ll find out today anyway. Good to get in ahead of the meltdown though!

I think at the time the forward thinking FA banned English clubs from playing against Johnie Foreigner.
There view was that ‘we have nothing to learn from foreigners.’
According to some things I read in the past, it was because the league either felt it was unfair on them or would overload an already congested season.
As football in those days was like playing on the beach after the end of September and drawn cup games were always replayed it was probably a sound idea for the less athletically tuned players who played in clogs and had to use a football that weighed the same as a medicine ball by half time

Back
Top Bottom