TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs. WEST BROMWICH ALBION

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think this result only highlights a reoccurring problem with this squad, the lack of natural width to stretch teams that just sit and defend. We buy a big target man, but dont have the ability to play to his strengths. And a genuine replacement for Eriksen when he is having an off day. Neither of these have been addressed, that's why we can beat Dortmund but draw against WBA.

The reason we've beat the likes of Dortmund is because we play stronger players in important positions. Aurier and Rose played against Dortmund. Two natural wing backs. Both played brilliantly and we won.

The reason we've beat the likes of Dortmund is because we play stronger players in important positions. Aurier and Rose played against Dortmund. Two natural wing backs. Both played brilliantly and we won.
So why not play them against WBA then, except for injury, after losing last week we needed a win, we know how they play, that's the point of video analysis.

Very tricky once we gave them the goal, that gives them extra lift to defend like Spartans, where as if we kept it 0-0 we may have worn them down earlier.
We did quite well in the 2nd half, did seem more threatening.
Not helped by having players that are clearly knackered, like Eriksen.
He was okay, but as the game went on his really looked tired and his control was bad.
Winks may have been suffering tiredness too, as it was a massive boost when Dembele came on... He doesn't always make quite that impact when replacing Winksy, so I guess Winks was a bit out of sorts too.
One thing we have to improve on especially when Davies and Tripps are playing is giving them more support and to try and engineer a way to play it behind defense for them to cross it, especially Tripps with his good crossing. What kept happening was a pass out to Tripps and then he has 1 or 2 on him, nobody availble to pass forward to and no one supporting for a 1-2 or something, so he has to always pass it backwards.
It doesn't help Tripps isn't great at beating a man (lack of tricks and pace)... but I have noticed even with Aurier he often seems reluctant to try and beat the defender.
We looked most dangerous when Sonny was running at players beating them and crossing... they were out of position then and with a bit more luck or longer legs we would have scored.
Its not a pleasing result but I just can't be too down on them, have to hand it to WBA they really know how to set up to frustrate a team... It was like they had 15 players at times, blocking everything, swarming everywhere... you really have to be at your peak to be able to break that kind of defense down... and yesterday we were not in our peak form.

Having been to the game in my view there were several reasons why we were so poor. We lacked creativity, with a central midfield of one, Harry Winks. In the first half Eriksen was playing too far forward to influence the game and open up the opposition. Also Dembele should have started. When he came on the energy levels and urgency rose. Son started upfront playing through the centre. As soon as he moved the left he created chances. Why Llorente came on ahead of Sissoko is a mystery. He is a very poor Peter Crouch and oddly reluctant to use his height and get his head to the ball.

I do feel we’ve lacked intensity too often this season. Swansea, Burnley, West Brom and Woolwich are all games where we’ve struggled to give a positive, sustained and energetic performance from the start. All those games were against pretty poor opposition (Burnley maybe an exception). We do seem a bit knackered this season, and have done from the start. Injuries haven’t helped. Hopefully we’ll be in a good place to have a strong finish to the season, as well as the general excitement that will build with us heading closer to our return home.

Why Llorente came on ... oddly reluctant to use his height and get his head to the ball.
Which makes me feel it's summit personal, cos he couldn't WAIT to get his head on the ball at every OTHER club he's been at... that's the ONLY type of goal I've ever seen him scoring!
Why are WE so different?
:pochfacepalm:

No, from the guy that thinks you're overplaying what was likely 1 or 2 people whilst making it out to be a significant majority (with specific regard to Llorente that is).

Anyway, enjoy your little love in with John Thomas John Thomas ... You were made for each other.
Read back the summer thread & you will see its more than 1 or 2. Its all there for you or anyone to see. But pretend its just 1 or 2 if it makes you happy. As you were.

Which makes me feel it's summit personal, cos he couldn't WAIT to get his head on the ball at every OTHER club he's been at... that's the ONLY type of goal I've ever seen him scoring!
Why are WE so different?
:pochfacepalm:

Maybe he's been reading the warnings about the dangers of heading a ball :dempsey:

Pep took over the strongest team in the league on paper, it wasn’t good enough so they spend another £300 mil or whatever, their resources are unlimited. That they can buy Bernardo Silva and leave him on the bench speaks volumes. At some point spending £200-300 mil a season is going to make you so strong it’s a done deal.

Everton lost Lukaku and Barkley is injured, who are their best players, and they bought a ton of average signings. They are more like us after the Bale sale than like City.
Everton are nothing like us after we sold Bale. Our average position in the league that season was 5.5 (lowest position was 9th, highest 2nd). Everton's average position is the table is 14th.

Seems you and ArcspacE ArcspacE have something goin on too.
Who'd have thought it. Strange times on TFC

Lol.... I doubt that very much..... Blokes been on my ignore list 90% of my time here; as he currently is. Also i think youll find we havent 'agreed' or 'like' a single post of each others in this thread.

"More fail from the melty boy......"

Crap, crap, crap. Very poor performance and a result. Poch is probably right about our title chances but it's still only the end of November, shit can happen.

Dembele changed the game when he came on and we need to get more games out of him. We also need Lamela to get his head/body right as he can be a real asset.

Strange season so far, some real highs but some lows and mild disappointments. Very inconsistent.

Everton are nothing like us after we sold Bale. Our average position in the league that season was 5.5 (lowest position was 9th, highest 2nd). Everton's average position is the table is 14th.

I am referring to not using the funds as well as they could as opposed to spending hundreds of millions buying the very best players Man City style.

I don’t think Everton’s spending is off the size to do a City, regardless of the merits of the players they got (Siggy for £50 mil was crazy).

Lol.... I doubt that very much..... Blokes been on my ignore list 90% of my time here; as he currently is. Also i think youll find we havent 'agreed' or 'like' a single post of each others in this thread.

"More fail from the melty boy......"
When he agrees, you agree. When he disagrees, you disagree.
Your in denial my friend. You're soul mates. Peas in a pod.
Oh, and chief melter, if you will

Back
Top Bottom