Tottenham Hotspur vs The Bottling, Diving, Scummy Woolwich. Sun 28th April, 2:00pm kick-off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Had we lost that 5 nil yesterday i reckon ange would have lost his job. Most annoying factor of their goals yesterday they didny even had to try hard. Body language of players last few weeks hasnt been great tbh. Unless theyve had a bust up behind scenes or already thinking of holidays. Villa away i thought we were back on track.
I take it you didn't watch the game and just read about it in the star.

My biggest issue with how we are playing is how slow we are at moving the ball around in the final third. We keep the ball against just about every team but that is useless if we take a million touches and just pass the ball around the opposing box.

We need to take a lot of shots if we are keeping the ball as mi h as we do, but that’s not happening.

What we need is a midfielder that is able to score some bangers outside the area to force the defenders to come out of the box to defend us.

That would really open things up for us where keeping the ball will mean more goals.

City have scored 13 from outside the box this season. We’ve scored 7.
So definitely an area to improve.

Not sure who that player would be though.

How can he come out to get the ball if the Woolwich player was literally pushing him back into his own goal?

I don’t understand two things about this:

1. How is that not a foul?
2. How can Vic’s teammates let the opponent literally push him around like that?

Additionally.... People saying he just needs to be stronger are missing the point....... It's not about whether White overpowered him or not (the man is a beanpole himself!) and 9/10 times Vic would fuck him up physically; it's about costing Vic a few valuable seconds/inches and distraction and fucking with his starting position(*)..... The 3rd goal being the perfect example.

(*Which was all the gloves thing was about...... You're never gonna take them off him ffs.)

Additionally.... People saying he just needs to be stronger are missing the point....... It's not about whether White overpowered him or not (the man is a beanpole himself!) and 9/10 times Vic would fuck him up physically; it's about costing Vic a few valuable seconds/inches and distraction and fucking with his starting position(*)..... The 3rd goal being the perfect example.

(*Which was all the gloves thing was about...... You're never gonna take them off him ffs.)

Exactly!

The distraction is why he let in the goal. Too busy trying to maintain his position. That split second of distraction cost us a goal.

Not at all about strength.

Trying to keep the defender off and defending the goal at the same time is not easy.

This is 💯 on a bad non call and the fact that he was fending for himself.

City have scored 13 from outside the box this season. We’ve scored 7.
So definitely an area to improve.

Not sure who that player would be though.

Not from MF; but Son & Maddison are absolutely expected to bag a few of those..... Conte turned Kulu (and Son) shot-shy too. (Though I don't think it's generally something that Ange encourages either as otherwise you'd expect he and Son to be having a crack from all over the shop the moment the wigged-one was out of their hair(*).

The way we play; our MFs are seemingly encouraged to breach the box and nab finishes from inside the 6yd box instead (feeding off the wide-men)..... Sarr has a couple and Bentancur was good for that before he got injured last season.... Biss looked like a bulldozer in those positions pre-season and early doors, but never built on it

(*Pun intended.)

Exactly!

The distraction is why he let in the goal. Too busy trying to maintain his position. That split second of distraction cost us a goal.

Trying to keep the defender off and defending the goal at the same time is not easy.

I'd rather focus one what WE can be doing to combat it than relying on the ref's to do so though...... Useless cunts that they are.

Drop the zonal marking and give Vic the authority to demand one of our lads step in and deal with the disruptor if he feels there is a problem.

The game has gone.

It's only those who want to constantly reject what they are seeing (maybe they see what they want to see) who could have been surprised at the outcone.

All that lot had to do is show-up, based solely on this season, recent form and our lack of ammunition. The same group shut me down because they reject the truth.

They were still fearful of us and will be against United, but this season they are everything I said that people disliked, comparedcto us that is.

If they fail to win the PL though, then next season we can and should be able to bridge what is now a very obvious gap. If they win it I dread to think.

It took Arteya time but in doing so he still did what we can't - win something. That is the bizarre bit.

Not from MF; but Son & Maddison are absolutely expected to bag a few of those..... Conte turned Kulu (and Son) shot-shy too. (Though I don't think it's generally something that Ange encourages either as otherwise you'd expect he and Son to be having a crack from all over the shop the moment the wigged-one was out of their hair(*).

The way we play; our MFs are seemingly encouraged to breach the box and nab finishes from inside the 6yd box instead (feeding off the wide-men)..... Sarr has a couple and Bentancur was good for that before he got injured last season.... Biss looked like a bulldozer in those positions pre-season and early doors, but never built on it

(*Pun intended.)

I think city’s will come from across the team too. Foden, De Bruyne, Rodri. Sure I remember one of their defenders scoring a cracker of a goal.

Few thoughts from me on the game.

1. How is it possible to think we played really well and yet utter shit all at the same time? The game really has that feeling. If you look at all the stats and key chances it’s not a game we deserve to lose, but ultimately we’re 3-0 down at home to our biggest rivals and that simply isn’t good enough.
  2. As above, I thought we played ok. Our press in the first half was better than it has been recently and whilst an element of the way the game went was because they allowed us to come onto them, you have to be reasonably happy with the overall way we played.
  3. A different bit of luck here and there and the game is different. Romero 2 great chances first half, Sonny through on goal, VDV marginally offside and the penalty incident that led to their goal - this could have been very very different.
  4. Having said that, we have no one to blame here but ourselves. I’m struggling to think of a side in PL history who has looked so weak defending corners as we have over the last 4 months. It’s frankly unacceptable. The zonal piece isn’t working, not in the slightest. Yesterday we had Romero, VDV, Davies, Bentancur and Hojbjerg on the pitch who are all decent in the air. Give them a man for man assignment and make them accountable for stopping their fucking man from scoring. Anyone who watched Maddison marking Dan Burn in the Newcastle game and thought “this will work long term” is a fucking idiot.
  5. To add to that, I don’t think Vicario is helping with the nervousness at corners. The Havertz goal is a metre from his starting position, he has to be more assertive there.
  6. I’m annoyed at the Saka goal on the counter but happy to take those risks as a byproduct of the way we play. Overall though it did feel like we left Davies a little exposed one on one to Saka too many times. It was their best outlet particularly in the first half. I like risks, and I like backing your players one on one - but Davies against Saka is never an option we should choose.
  7. I am starting to see an issue with us defending the overlap. I can’t be bothered to write chapters on it but keep an eye out in the next game.
  8. Thought Kulu was excellent as he often seems to be in these big games. He can be a real asset against a high pressing team as an outlet with his physicality. Probably our MOTM. Shame he can’t do it against the lesser sides in the league with any consistency.
  9. I thought it was fucking wonderful to see Son make an early run in behind for once and for us to find him. He needs to stretch CBs much much more than he has since reverting to CF. No one wants Son running in behind them and even if he doesn’t get the ball, it creates space in front of the CBs which is where Maddison does his best work.
  10. Having said that, Son’s effort was really poor and his overall play is just so bad. If there is still a significant Saudi offer on the table this summer I would seriously consider taking it. Outside of these first 10 games it’s been 2 seasons of sub-par Sonny now. Do we back him to get better?
  11. The general frustration with our horseshoe passing around the edge of the opponents 18 yard box is still there. We need to take more gambles, commit bodies into the box and occasionally put a hopeful ball in there. You can get events like the pen on Davies only if you get the ball into the box on occasion. More risks needed, we’re looking too much for that perfect goal.
  12. CM isn’t quite working as a functioning unit to me ATM. Maybe it’s that the combos aren’t working, but it often seems like those who come on at 60 mins do better than those who start the game regardless of personnel. Odd? It all comes back to that urgency we require in every part of our play - we start every game in CM playing too slowly and too comfortably for the opposition
  13. Outside of defending corners Romero and VDV were awesome. If we keep them together it seems unfathomable to me that our defence won’t improve long-term (if we can sort the shit at set pieces).
  14. Nothing radical here - our forward options aren’t elite. That’s ok one season after selling Kane, but we need better quality in those areas and quick.
  15. Neville was spot on about us being a box to box team. It’s arguable we’re the best in the league in that area TBH, perhaps after City. But we need to improve at the ends where the game is won and lost, some of that is on personnel, some on coaching.
  16. A note on our opposition - I thought they were pretty shit TBH. Please god don’t let these cunts win the league.

Some of the Ange out stuff is laughable and reactionary,I left yesterday with huge frustration about the way we lost, but also a belief that there’s a pathway for us to be a really really good side with some tactical tweaks and good recruitment.

I believe in Ange and if I’m wrong I’m happy to fall on my sword. He’s going to be a great manger for us.

COYS

1. How is it possible to think we played really well and yet utter shit all at the same time? The game really has that feeling. If you look at all the stats and key chances it’s not a game we deserve to lose, but ultimately we’re 3-0 down at home to our biggest rivals and that simply isn’t good enough.
  2. As above, I thought we played ok. Our press in the first half was better than it has been recently and whilst an element of the way the game went was because they allowed us to come onto them, you have to be reasonably happy with the overall way we played.
  3. A different bit of luck here and there and the game is different. Romero 2 great chances first half, Sonny through on goal, VDV marginally offside and the penalty incident that led to their goal - this could have been very very different.
  4. Having said that, we have no one to blame here but ourselves. I’m struggling to think of a side in PL history who has looked so weak defending corners as we have over the last 4 months. It’s frankly unacceptable. The zonal piece isn’t working, not in the slightest. Yesterday we had Romero, VDV, Davies, Bentancur and Hojbjerg on the pitch who are all decent in the air. Give them a man for man assignment and make them accountable for stopping their fucking man from scoring. Anyone who watched Maddison marking Dan Burn in the Newcastle game and thought “this will work long term” is a fucking idiot.
  5. To add to that, I don’t think Vicario is helping with the nervousness at corners. The Havertz goal is a metre from his starting position, he has to be more assertive there.
  6. I’m annoyed at the Saka goal on the counter but happy to take those risks as a byproduct of the way we play. Overall though it did feel like we left Davies a little exposed one on one to Saka too many times. It was their best outlet particularly in the first half. I like risks, and I like backing your players one on one - but Davies against Saka is never an option we should choose.
  7. I am starting to see an issue with us defending the overlap. I can’t be bothered to write chapters on it but keep an eye out in the next game.
  8. Thought Kulu was excellent as he often seems to be in these big games. He can be a real asset against a high pressing team as an outlet with his physicality. Probably our MOTM. Shame he can’t do it against the lesser sides in the league with any consistency.
  9. I thought it was fucking wonderful to see Son make an early run in behind for once and for us to find him. He needs to stretch CBs much much more than he has since reverting to CF. No one wants Son running in behind them and even if he doesn’t get the ball, it creates space in front of the CBs which is where Maddison does his best work.
  10. Having said that, Son’s effort was really poor and his overall play is just so bad. If there is still a significant Saudi offer on the table this summer I would seriously consider taking it. Outside of these first 10 games it’s been 2 seasons of sub-par Sonny now. Do we back him to get better?
  11. The general frustration with our horseshoe passing around the edge of the opponents 18 yard box is still there. We need to take more gambles, commit bodies into the box and occasionally put a hopeful ball in there. You can get events like the pen on Davies only if you get the ball into the box on occasion. More risks needed, we’re looking too much for that perfect goal.
  12. CM isn’t quite working as a functioning unit to me ATM. Maybe it’s that the combos aren’t working, but it often seems like those who come on at 60 mins do better than those who start the game regardless of personnel. Odd? It all comes back to that urgency we require in every part of our play - we start every game in CM playing too slowly and too comfortably for the opposition
  13. Outside of defending corners Romero and VDV were awesome. If we keep them together it seems unfathomable to me that our defence won’t improve long-term (if we can sort the shit at set pieces).
  14. Nothing radical here - our forward options aren’t elite. That’s ok one season after selling Kane, but we need better quality in those areas and quick.
  15. Neville was spot on about us being a box to box team. It’s arguable we’re the best in the league in that area TBH, perhaps after City. But we need to improve at the ends where the game is won and lost, some of that is on personnel, some on coaching.
  16. A note on our opposition - I thought they were pretty shit TBH. Please god don’t let these cunts win the league.

Some of the Ange out stuff is laughable and reactionary,I left yesterday with huge frustration about the way we lost, but also a belief that there’s a pathway for us to be a really really good side with some tactical tweaks and good recruitment.

I believe in Ange and if I’m wrong I’m happy to fall on my sword. He’s going to be a great manger for us.

COYS
My favourite post of the season 👏

Exactly!

Its been happening since the city game - Its an easy fix - You stick someone on Vic to protect him , failing that if the ball comes to Vic and he can clear it while leaving something on another player he does exactly that - Think when Pickford Injured VVD - The fact that we have had this happen to us every single Game since City in the Cup and we still haven't figured out how to deal with it is very worrying!

COYS
Just a few thoughts then?

The panel split over Kulusevski penalty incident in north London derby​

INCIDENT: Spurs wanted a penalty for a challenge made by Leandro Trossard on Dejan Kulusevski before Woolwich scored their second goal.
DERMOT SAYS: "I think there is a little bit of a nick on him, but then he clips his own heel. For me, minimal contact not a penalty."
Stephen Warnock: "I think it's a penalty. The big thing for me is, whether it is minimal contact or not, there is contact.
"I don't like it because it is very difficult to get out of the way of. Trossard clips his heel which makes him then cross his legs.
"By interfering with my stride pattern, you have knocked my leg where I can only kick my own leg. But I don't go down unless you don't touch me. That can only be a penalty."
I think the ex ref has more idea than the ex footballer. It is a contact sport, believe it or not, not a penalty. Forget it and move on.

Back
Top Bottom