Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool | 6 Nov 2022 | KO 16:30 | Second Half Match Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn't boo, and have never booed except Man United last season but I don't disagree with anyone's right to boo.

Football is a game of emotions, that's why we go. In this case, a lot of people are communicating to the club, the players, the management that what we're watching is on the whole unacceptable - especially at the prices we're paying.

If it's one or two isloated fans, then yeah it's idiotic. When a large number of fans are booing at half time at three matches in a row (Newcastle, Sporting, Liverpool) you can't just ignore it and say the fans are ungrateful. There is a growing displeasure at the way we're playing and the people paid to entertain us have to hear it I'm afraid. It's only at half time, it's not like anyone's booing during play.

Normally I have an extreme view on this because I don't like booing, I think it's counter productive but I have sympathy for your argument, I understand that your expectations are now raised because of the prices you pay you want to be entertained at the very least - just not a fan of booing when it's unnecessary.
It's about passion.

The extreme (and wonderful) passion displayed by the crowd when Kulu came on can only be had when you're also allowed extreme negative passion (or booing, as it's known). You can't have one without the other. As football is high sporting drama, negativity will always be as near to the lips as cheering is.

That said, the half time booing was way too much, despite the fact that we were two goals down. At least we'd been passing to each other, for a change.

However, on a personal level, I happened to be sitting next to a twat who spent the entire game letting everyone know exactly what each player had just done wrong. Fucking boring know-all. It's stupid old farts like him who should be banned. And on the other side of me was a stupid old git who insisted on taking up every chant (very loudly) at the wrong time, meaning I couldn't get into the singing!!!

On the plus side, I managed to sneak 3 x fun size Bounty Bars into the Stadium. :)

Strlong post
FIXED!

It's about passion.
However, on a personal level, I happened to be sitting next to a twat who spent the entire game letting everyone know exactly what each player had just done wrong. Fucking boring know-all. It's stupid old farts like him who should be banned. And on the other side of me was a stupid old git who insisted on taking up every chant (very loudly) at the wrong time, meaning I couldn't get into the singing!!!

On the plus side, I managed to sneak 3 x fun size Bounty Bars into the Stadium. :)
I wondered who I was standing next to!! Nice to meet you too!!!

Watching the Trent AA penalty push on Sess again and again... I genuinely can't see nor work out why it WASN'T given....

3 possible reasons: it's either bent, corrupt or fixed!!

The fact the anti Semite Salah scored just after it merely rubbed salt into the wounds....

Liverpool got away with everything yesterday... time wasting, ball delaying, dark arts.... We got punished for 2 mistakes, and got no help from anywhere...
Hitting the post and bar in the game told you it was gonna be 'one of them'....

But really, the penalty was a penalty ALL day long!
...and having only just dared watch MOTD2 I LOVE how they glossed over it, they sounded so unmoved it wasn't given....

If that was the other way round, and Sess had blatently pushed TAA down, there'd be fucking online petitions, a minute's silence next weekend and questions raised in Parliament!

Last edited:
Watching the Trent AA penalty push on Sess again and again... I genuinely can't see nor work out why it WASN'T given....

3 possible reasons: it's either bent, corrupt or fixed!!

The fact the anti Semite Salah scored just after it merely rubbed salt into the wounds....

Liverpool got away with everything yesterday... time wasting, ball delaying, dark arts.... We got punished for 2 mistakes, and got no help from anywhere...
Hitting the post and bar in the game told you it was gonna be 'one of them'....

But really, the penalty was a penalty ALL day long!
We lost the game because, we cannot find the motivation to start games at the right tempo.
Dodgy decisions are part and parcel of the game, whether they go for and against you.
The team needs to look at itself,it needs them to be at least a goal behind before they find their spark.
And yet many said we had a better window than Woolwich, yet win their game in hand and they are 11 points clear embarrassing.

I didn't boo, and have never booed except Man United last season but I don't disagree with anyone's right to boo.

Football is a game of emotions, that's why we go. In this case, a lot of people are communicating to the club, the players, the management that what we're watching is on the whole unacceptable - especially at the prices we're paying.

If it's one or two isloated fans, then yeah it's idiotic. When a large number of fans are booing at half time at three matches in a row (Newcastle, Sporting, Liverpool) you can't just ignore it and say the fans are ungrateful. There is a growing displeasure at the way we're playing and the people paid to entertain us have to hear it I'm afraid. It's only at half time, it's not like anyone's booing during play.
I think the fanbase is fractious, with two camps emerging, those who are clinging to it all clicking and those who have had enough.

We lost the game because, we cannot find the motivation to start games at the right tempo.
Dodgy decisions are part and parcel of the game, whether they go for and against you.
The team needs to look at itself,it needs them to be at least a goal behind before they find their spark.

And yet many said we had a better window than Woolwich, yet win their game in hand and they are 11 points clear embarrassing.
That in itself is a problem....
Why do we need to go a goal (or 2) behind before we start giving a shit?

It’s really not hard to control the play or play attacking football when you’re 2-0 down at home against an out of form team who ended up simply trying to protect their lead.
Control play, yes. But we limited liverpools chances while creating a lot for ourselves. There’s no question the 2nd half performance was good.

no every player does not make a ridiculous amount of unforced errors.

Stray passes, missed challenges, poor tracking of runners, being sent off yada ydad... Anywhere on the pitch..... MANY things lead to pressure and/or lead to goals...... There is no stat for these things.... Yet for a defender or keeper it's an extra cross to bear.

Yiddi You're being highly selective. So what that we didn't look like we turned up before Royal was wrongly sent off? This is our gameplan and to be honest against Woolwich that was probably the best way to approach the game, they look to dominate a game and press really high and aggressively for the first 20 mins of a game, so you allow for that, play compact, deep and narrow, don't let them in behind, let them blow themselves out and once the press drops then play a different phase of the game. Don't get sucked into the narrative that we have to go all out guns blazing from the opening whistle, it's a 90min game (people are so sucked into this narrative that they think we played like this in the first half yesterday, which just shows how fucking clueless people are - between the two goals we were comfortably the better side - but people talking about that half as us "starting slowly" again, that's bollocks!).

Against Utd we were dogshit and deserved to lose, as at no point in that game did we have any control of the game, from defensive phases, possession and into the attacking third, we were totally outplayed.

Control isn't always about us being on the ball, if we chose not to have it then we are still controlling phases as the oppo isn't getting in behind. An example of this and back to the Woolwich game, we contained them, their only effort was from outside the box from Partey which they scored with. In the margins and percentages of the game that's how we chose to set up and play if they are going to attack them let it be from outside of the box or at worse crowd them out inside the box and make it as low % as possible. The same again when we went to Stamford Bridge, we let them have the ball and they didn't create much (they have issues in this dept), perhaps we showed them too much respect (that's my feeling) but we were worthy of that point.

"Same old Tottenham" - Is just utter bullshit. We've lost just 6 PL games in our last 30! In the manager's 1st season whilst taking over from the worst 2 performing managers, we've had in 20yrs!!

Now, if you have an issue with the aesthetics of our style of play then that's fine to crack on with that. It's not great on the eye (although I thought that wasn't the case yesterday). But I feel there is context to this too, mainly because of the world cup and 3 games per week from almost the get-go. But our record under Conte shows how effective we've been playing this way (the end of last season was better on the eye also)........

tottenham_hotspur_rolling_npxg_ribbon-1.png

The aesthetics of how we play I don't like. I like my teams to have the ball and press high (I'm a full-blown Poch disciple) and my posting history attests to this. I was highly vocal on a) not wanting Jose at Tottenham b) and hated how we played under him because we were shit. However, people putting these two managers in the same bucket are clueless, just look above at the graph in case there is any doubt, Jose is a dinosaur vs Conte is elite and knows exactly what he's doing. (When Conte-ball is clicking it's also very good on the eye, for those transitional phases that is, it will still have a period of control without the ball and those transitions are developed by lots of backward passing as we attempt to draw teams onto us to create the space (but it's a long way off Jose ball).

Yesterday was a good performance and the result didn't reflect the performance, whilst hugely frustrating I'm hugely encouraged about the performance. It's also miles away from any comparison on the other games you mention and even better than the Newcastle performance in which we were the better team on the day.

We've lost 3 of our last 4 matches. That worries me, even if it doesn't bother you

Last edited:
"Same old Tottenham" - Is just utter bullshit. We've lost just 6 PL games in our last 30!

We've lost 3 of our last 4 matches. That worries me, even if it doesn't bother you
Not when we've been the better side in two of those it doesn't bother me one bit. If we played as we did vs Man U in the other games then there is cause for concern sure but we didn't so there's not.

Not when we've been the better side in two of those it doesn't bother me one bit. If we played as we did vs Man U in the other games then there is cause for concern sure but we didn't so there's not.

So we get played off the pitch away from home & at home are just about the better team but still end up losing and that’s no cause for concern.

It’s absolutely a concern that we’re the team to hand Liverpool their first away win of the season. Absolutely a concern that we’re giving up home points in these big games.

Play well, lose. Play badly, lose. Any decent team we come up against? LOSE.

So we get played off the pitch away from home & at home are just about the better team but still end up losing and that’s no cause for concern.

It’s absolutely a concern that we’re the team to hand Liverpool their first away win of the season. Absolutely a concern that we’re giving up home points in these big games.

I can't Winner this post enough well said mate

I can't Winner this post enough well said mate

I can’t believe what I’m reading tbh. We’re a shade better at home than a Liverpool side who are in a total mess, and it’s not a concern that we lost? At all?

FFS the whole justification for the United loss was how big away games are super hard and nobody loses them. Now we lose them and its ‘oh but we were better than Newcastle and Liverpool!’.

United are fucking mediocre and they kicked the shit out of us. THAT was an impressive home performance vs another top 6 contender. Not losing and probably deserving a bit more.

I think they'd be more people satisfied if they were being at least entertained, if we peppered Liverpool with loads of shots and had lots of the ball for example but still found ourselves 2-0 down then I don't think the voices would have been as loud.
And I think it's also the ultimate tease. Yesterday 2nd half shows that we can chase the ball down, tackle and intercept, we can pass quickly and fluidly and we can shoot.... But the actively decide not to do this for at least half the game, like we're intentionally sabotaging ourselves.

Last edited:
I can’t believe what I’m reading tbh. We’re a shade better at home than a Liverpool side who are in a total mess, and it’s not a concern that we lost? At all?

FFS the whole justification for the United loss was how big away games are super hard and nobody loses them. Now we lose them and its ‘oh but we were better than Newcastle and Liverpool!’.

United are fucking mediocre and they kicked the shit out of us. THAT was an impressive home performance vs another top 6 contender. Not losing and probably deserving a bit more.
Genuinely wonder if people are watching us. I've been to half a dozen games this season and seen all the others on the box. We are miles off the way we ended last season. I don't know what's happened but there are real systemic things wrong. Its clear as day. The position can only obscure so much.

They beat Ajax 3-0 away from home just over a week ago, let's keep to facts yeah.

There is nothing to be concerned about when you put in a decent performance and lose. There's plenty to be concerned about if you are playing shit and losing. Good job we aren't nor have we been since Conte took charge.

They beat Ajax 3-0 away from home just over a week ago, let's keep to facts yeah.

There is nothing to be concerned about when you put in a decent performance and lose. There's plenty to be concerned about if you are playing shit and losing. Good job we aren't nor have we been since Conte took charge.

Ajax who aren’t even top of the Eredivisie and are a shadow of the side they were a few years ago?

They lost to Leeds at Anfield more recently. And have already lost to Woolwich and United at home. And were 10th when we played them.

Oh and so many of our performances this season have been fucking dreadful, not sure what games you’ve been watching.

You think we got played off the pitch yesterday?

It’s absolutely a concern that we’re the team to hand Liverpool their first away win of the season.

These kind of sub-narratives become meaningless come the end of the season.....

In 16/17 we ended a loooong winning streak for Chelsea (and City).... They still won the league ahead of us.

Absolutely a concern that we’re giving up home points in these big games.

Concern? Always...... Never in my 40+ years has winning big games at home been a given though.

...........At home we dropped 3 to Utd, 3 to Chavs and 2 to Pool last season.

.......Away 2 to Utd. 3 to Chavs and 2 to Pool too.

Would you prefer us to be losing to teams like Brighton, Brentford, Leeds, Forest etc? (See Chavs, Utd. Dippers)

Wait.... We lose every game now?

EPL: 8 wins / 2 draws.
CL: 3 wins / 1 draw.

Back
Top Bottom