Tottenham Hotspur Versus Redbull Leipzig 19/02/2010

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Haha let's see how it goes. 1-0 down it's still a cup tie well and truly alive. I've lived to see my fair share of comebacks who's to say this can't be one of them?

I said before the game that our focus is now the league and FA Cup. The Son injury writes one of our competitions off so let's just see how the lads do moving forward. It's a tough ask but if we didn't lose Sonny I think we'd have achieved our main goals this season, just how it goes.
Lets talk football instead of calling names.

They've demonstrated they are more viable than Gedson, who's made two starts against Soton, and RBL and completed 12 passes in 125 minutes of football. Fucking Shocking.

I scratch my head and wonder what Skipp has done to be so far down the pecking order. I know they are not like for like (Gedson and Skipp) but bring in Skipp and have him play the Winks role and allow winks to play in the Gedson role.

Last edited:
We have no Kane and no Son, what do you expect? As for underperforming, we are the 6th biggest team yet make multiple semi finals, consistent top 4s. I think you need a reality check as to who we are, where we are trying to get to and how difficult that whole process can be.

The Son injury makes the Champions League a free hit. Any team would struggle with two players of that quality injured, signings or not.

But if you have an actual footballing philosophy with well rehearsed patterns of play you can cope with injuries much better because players can be swapped in and out but the style remains constant. Playing without a recognised strikers is only a serious impediment if your style is limited to playing long balls into the channels or swinging crosses in. If Man City didn't have Aguero or Jesus, the patterns of play and footballing philosophy would still create tap ins for Sterling.

Mourinho absolutely pissed off we don't have a striker. Outraged.
And he’s got every right to be. Last season we were clearly stretched at a similar time of the year when Son was away, Kane and Dele were injured... relying on Llorente. I thought we would never allow ourselves to be similarly exposed - which is true in some ways as it’s not similar: it’s worse.

But if you have an actual footballing philosophy with well rehearsed patterns of play you can cope with injuries much better because players can be swapped in and out but the style remains constant. Playing without a recognised strikers is only a serious impediment if your style is limited to playing long balls into the channels or swinging crosses in. If Man City didn't have Aguero or Jesus, the patterns of play and footballing philosophy would still create tap ins for Sterling.

How well was the same group of players playing under the previous manager? Mourinho has come in and taken us from 12 points behind 4th to currently being in the Champions League qualifying places, based on the Man City news.

Building blocks are sometimes required. Before you can implement philosophy you need to build confidence, then results etc. Mourinho always said no he couldn't wait for the winter break so he could get a few of the things he wants across to the players. To to a cup replay we had a shorter period to do so and with Sonny getting ruled out sadly it's back to salvage mode by hook or by crook.

You did read the comments Jose constantly put forward about the importance of the winter break as it was his first chance to get the new ideas across to the lads didn't you NW1?

How well was the same group of players playing under the previous manager? Mourinho has come in and taken us from 12 points behind 4th to currently being in the Champions League qualifying places, based on the Man City news.

Building blocks are sometimes required. Before you can implement philosophy you need to build confidence, then results etc. Mourinho always said no he couldn't wait for the winter break so he could get a few of the things he wants across to the players. To to a cup replay we had a shorter period to do so and with Sonny getting ruled out sadly it's back to salvage mode by hook or by crook.

You did read the comments Jose constantly put forward about the importance of the winter break as it was his first chance to get the new ideas across to the lads didn't you NW1?

Poch stayed a season too long, which incidentally means he made it 2 or 3 years longer than Mourinho ever did anywhere. He has no new ideas, his ideas belong to football of a decade ago. The press conferences are from a decade ago, the psychological mind games from a decade ago. His triumph with Inter in 2010 was the last hurrah for the Mourinho brand of football at the top level of European football and his league title with Chelsea in 2015 his last hurrah in the English Premier League.

Very much all to play for. They can pass and they’re good on the attack, where have we seen that before...(City, Ajax) but they can definitely be beaten. 1-0 is not a terrible result. We can win this 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 etc. Werner is the outlet we need to be aware of. I knew he was fast but I was surprised at how fast. We started actually passing when Ndombele and LoCelso were playing in the center. We had 4 or 5 through balls that nearly went through. I’m still optimistic but I think if Son was playing that game, we would have scored.

Your bias is just screaming from that post "played off the park" we were second best, but 55-45% and 16 shots to 12 is not played off the park .... last night City played the Spammers 78-22% and 20 shots to 3 now that's played off the park.

We were outplayed by a very good side, but we hung in there and for the last 30 minutes were very arguably the better side, their keeper got MoM - why are you always with the hate?
Open your eyes mate. They dominated us, ripped us apart for 70 mins and should have been out of sight by half time. This isn't bias, it is what actually happened.

The last 20mins we improved but we were not the better side, they still controlled the game and it was them that chose to sit back and defend their lead, which they did very well, limiting us to one shot on target in open play and our only decent chance a well-hit free-kick by Los Celso.

Actually Lloris was given the official MoTM, what does that spin for you?

Hate? Did you enjoy watching us? We were fucking shite.

Poch stayed a season too long, which incidentally means he made it 2 or 3 years longer than Mourinho ever did anywhere. He has no new ideas, his ideas belong to football of a decade ago. The press conferences are from a decade ago, the psychological mind games from a decade ago. His triumph with Inter in 2010 was the last hurrah for the Mourinho brand of football at the top level of European football and his league title with Chelsea in 2015 his last hurrah in the English Premier League.

You're writing him off far too soon NW. We'll have to disagree on this one

I get that completely BC, they've done very well with smart signings and leverage off of the Salzburg roots they have. I've said all along a couple of big signings mixed with a few wheeler dealer ones is the right way to go. How Lo Celso wasn't chased when he went to Betis on loan initially I'll never know but it's where we find ourselves, we have to deal with it and see the positives that 5th gets Champions League, that we are a very winnable game away from the quarter finals of the FA Cup and that this tie is still only a goal game. Time to deal with it and see what the boys can do.
Maybe we need Mercedes to buy us. They're always beating RB.

He has no new ideas, his ideas belong to football of a decade ago.

You might be right about Mourinho's football.

But regardless, we aren't playing anything resembling Mourinho's football.

At the end of the day, in our current state, lacking a recognized striker, an anchor in the midfield, or reliable quality at the fullbacks, we're just not much of a side.

We're just drifting through space at the minute, I'm not sure who or what I'm supposed to be judging.

Fucking idiot so you should stop complaining if you don't know

I've no idea what you're dribbling on about..... Much like yourself it seems.

You carry on tho'.... Much like any village idiot; you're quite the sideshow.

Open your eyes mate. They dominated us, ripped us apart for 70 mins and should have been out of sight by half time. This isn't bias, it is what actually happened.

The last 20mins we improved but we were not the better side, they still controlled the game and it was them that chose to sit back and defend their lead, which they did very well, limiting us to one shot on target in open play and our only decent chance a well-hit free-kick by Los Celso.

Actually Lloris was given the official MoTM, what does that spin for you?

Hate? Did you enjoy watching us? We were fucking shite.

Than don't watch and don't post .... your negativity depresses everyone if you don't like it stay quiet. Listening to you howling on about how shit we are, only the other trolls wants to hear that ... we all have eyes we don't need some self appointed troll telling us we're shit fifty times a game ... go tell that to the Spammers or the Gooners just leave us alone. Fuck off with praising the opposition and slagging off Spurs that just makes you look a dick.

I love watching Spurs, I enjoy Champions League, Spurs are not "fucking shite" - you're just being an utter cunt, is that clear enough?

Last edited:
Very much all to play for. They can pass and they’re good on the attack, where have we seen that before...(City, Ajax) but they can definitely be beaten. 1-0 is not a terrible result. We can win this 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 etc. Werner is the outlet we need to be aware of. I knew he was fast but I was surprised at how fast. We started actually passing when Ndombele and LoCelso were playing in the center. We had 4 or 5 through balls that nearly went through. I’m still optimistic but I think if Son was playing that game, we would have scored.

This is spot on. Tanguy and Gio together in the midfield makes us so efficient and dangerous.

I really like a midfield three of GLC, Ndombele, and Winksy.

Very predictable game. Felt almost identical to Ajax first leg, except they scored later in the game. We played decent after they scored, but overall just lacking the quality and form to really make a game of it from the beginning.

Than don't watch and don't post .... your negativity depresses everyone if you don't like it stay quiet. Listening to you howling on about how shit we are, only the other trolls wants to hear that ... we all have eyes we don't need some self appointed troll telling us we're shit fifty times a game ... go tell that to the Spammers or the Gooners just leave us alone. Fuck off with praising the opposition and slagging off Spurs that just makes you look a dick.
:pochshock2:

The state of your post!! Has to be right up there as one of the strangest I've ever read on here.

This is a Tottenham football forum, where we come together to talk about Tottenham. If we play well I'll reflect that in my posts. If we play shit then I will reflect that in my posts. If you have a problem in someone acknowledging how we played and more specifically only want posts from people after we play well then take that up with the manager and ask him not to have our team play shit. It's not down to me how we play, all I can do is comment on it.

Who the fuck is "us" you are referring to?

Back
Top Bottom