Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United 09/05/2018 20-00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The weird thing is... even though I vowed NEVER to do confidence going into a game AGAIN after yesterday..

I STILL believe we can get at LEAST the 4 points we need over the next 2 games.

And if we can't them we dont DESERVE to finish top 4.
Let alone 3rd!!

The weird thing is... even though I vowed NEVER to do confidence going into a game AGAIN after yesterday..

I STILL believe we can get at LEAST the 4 points we need over the next 2 games.

And if we can't them we dont DESERVE to finish top 4.
Let alone 3rd!!

A draw yesterday wouldn’t have surprised me.

WBA are clearly a side in form - having probably not really given it anywhere near 100% most of this season, they are probably fresher than most teams as well.

So a goal in injury time scored by an ex Spurs player should surprise me even less I suppose.

But have seen nothing from either team in recent weeks to think that both Newcastle and Leicester will come and beat us.
So if we do fail at this point of the season questions can rightly be asked of all the players and Poch.

However I reckon 6 points over the next two games.
Would be amazed if we don’t get 4.

We are in a trough. It is pure and simple.

The manager and players are struggling badly to find the answers.

Not one player is rising high and part of that will be down to our over reliance on Kane to dig us out of the mire.

The Chelsea game today is one where we need Chelsea to lose.

If they win I honestly would worry that we have enough to get the 4 points we would still need.
If Chelsea win, we will shit our pants and the fall out will be far worse than the Newcastle year where we at least still qualified for the CL.

Throwing a ten point lead with 6 games to go is unacceptable and the slaying and mocking won’t even annoy me because I will agree with every single word of it.

If Dembele is not back.....

------------------------Lloris-----------------------
-----Toby---------Sanchez--------Dier-----
Trippier----Wanyama----Alli-----Rose
-------------------Eriksen-----Lucas---------
--------------------------Kane---------------------

If Chelsea win, we will shit our pants and the fall out will be far worse than the Newcastle year where we at least still qualified for the CL.

Throwing a ten point lead with 6 games to go is unacceptable and the slaying and mocking won’t even annoy me because I will agree with every single word of it.

It will set us back years if we do not get a top 4 place.

Anyone who does not recognise that (I think most do) is completely in denial.

Get top 4 and disregard the above although I think you will see more summer change than anticipated.

Whatever the outcome today and despite an awful run of late we are still mathematically in a good and strong place.

Pochettino needs to pick the strongest minded of players in these last 2 games.

I fully expect us to get this wrong. Kane is at 60% of his game, Deli is on the beach, Lamella was out of the game for the first half hour and Jan could miss the next two games.
I would have used Llorente after an hour and even started Son in place of Kane. Once again we had no answer to West Brom, yet we still kept doing the same things.
The only good parts were Toby and Rose who battled throughout.
I have a real fear that this team has peaked.

This isn't a must win. West Brom was a must win. We could've relegated a side which constantly manages to steal points off of us, with a DRAW. We couldn't get a draw against the team which was basically down before the game while we still have to play for the Champions League.

And even if we win our two remaining home games against two sides which absolutely nothing to play for anymore, it's these kind of games where we will be let down by these players. We feel like we've won the game even before kick-off, because our team probably think they can't play football the way we do.

Yesterday wasn't about the formation or tactics or fitness. Just about the manager and the players. It's about motivation... reminding ourselves that we've become a strong team in the PL, but not unbeatable as some of the players seem to believe.

So let's see what we got to offer for our last two games.

Lets see what they`re made of. Poch included, with selections, subs (timing), and tactics.
Have to throw everything at `em. No excuses.
Early goal, desire and tempo: atmosphere builds.
Slow, side-to-side, game goes on and on: tension builds.
COYS

Not one player is rising high and part of that will be down to our over reliance on Kane to dig us out of the mire.
BS
We were on a winning run when Kane was injured, he was rushed back far too early for no good reason which is called mismanagement and hence the results. Stupid. Could cost the club millions if we miss on CL and fans will be fans and melt.

Lloris
Foyth - Sanchez - Toby
Trippier - Eriksen - Dier - Dele - Davies
Son
Kane
This will never happen, Poch wont start Foyth, this is not a pre season friendly or Caraboa cup, it is the race for top which mean £25m plus much needed cash for the club. I was expecting 3 at the back against mancity and fa cup sf.
Also would start Maura instead of out of sorts Dele. Also a bit adventurous and an element of surprise, Llorente instead of Kane.

This will never happen, Poch wont start Foyth, this is not a pre season friendly or Caraboa cup, it is the race for top which mean £25m plus much needed cash for the club. I was expecting 3 at the back against mancity and fa cup sf.
Also would start Maura instead of out of sorts Dele. Also a bit adventurous and an element of surprise, Llorente instead of Kane.

I know it won't happen, sadly.

It's a shame we haven't given Foyth more games. I imagine if we go 3 at the back, it'll be Dier in the heart of the defence with Wanyama playing another game. This is all on the basis that Vertonghen is likely out for the season.

Lloris
Foyth - Sanchez - Toby
Trippier - Eriksen - Dier - Dele - Davies
Son
Kane
3-1

No tots- this is no time to bed in Foyth. Plus a back 3 is a bad choice against Newcastle, who will surely be sitting back and looking to hit us on the counter...

Lloris
Tripps - Sanchez - Toby - Davies
Dier - Eriksen
Moura - Dele - Son
Kane
I think we want Eriksen left sided of Dier so Dier can more easily drop back-right and cover for a bombing Tripps. Obviously Eriksen dictates from deep and hopefully we feed him for long-shots outside the box whenever play stalls out.

No tots- this is no time to bed in Foyth. Plus a back 3 is a bad choice against Newcastle, who will surely be sitting back and looking to hit us on the counter...

Lloris
Tripps - Sanchez - Toby - Davies
Dier - Eriksen
Moura - Dele - Son
Kane
I think we want Eriksen left sided of Dier so Dier can more easily drop back-right and cover for a bombing Tripps. Obviously Eriksen dictates from deep and hopefully we feed him for long-shots outside the box whenever play stalls out.

I don't want to see this horrible 4-2-3-1 formation ever again to be honest.

If we're not going with 3 at the back, then I would go with this:

Lloris
Trippier - Sanchez - Toby - Davies
Eriksen - Dier - Dele
Moura - Kane - Son

If Dembele is not back.....

------------------------Lloris-----------------------
-----Toby---------Sanchez--------Dier-----
Trippier----Wanyama----Alli-----Rose
-------------------Eriksen-----Lucas---------
--------------------------Kane---------------------

Vic was unfortunately too poor yesterday to start this game.
Back 3 against them parking the bus/playing on the counter would be counterproductive- we need to run a back 4 and a proper attack.

It's fucking miserable luck that Jan picked up an injury at a time we need him most.

Back
Top Bottom