Tottenham Hotspur v. Manchester United - F.A. Cup Semi-Final

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes it matters, of course it matters, the reason I know that is I will be inconsolable tomorrow night if we don't win. The difference these days is that once we're out of it, I have absolutely no interest in the competition.

He better not have said that.

Poch has won jackshit. He can hardly say he is above winning anything.

Then again, this is the man that couldn't get the team inspired to finish above Woolwich.

That has problems getting results on the big stage when the pressure is on

If we aren't going to be perennial losers, he has got to sort this shit mentality out.

Have you ever tried not making a mountain out of a molehill?

I disagree with the comments too, but talk about a ridiculous reaction

I don't think Poch has thought about the fans with his comment too much to be honest. Me as a fan if we won the fa cup would probably class it as the second best day of my life (after the birth of my child) -that's how much winning this trophy would mean to me. For Poch just to say 'it doesn't matter that much' is a bit of a kick in the teeth to be honest. Maybe its mind games and takes the pressure of the players, I dunno. All I know is that I really want this trophy!

I'm not bothered at all by Poch's comments - as usual they've been twisted out of all recognition.

Full quotes:
“It would be fantastic to win the FA Cup,”
“But is it going to change our life? I don’t believe so. Every one of the semi‑finalists will fight to win but it’s not about who needs the trophy more.”
“If we are capable to win the Premier League and the Champions League, it is a moment you say the team has improved and reached the next level,” Pochettino said. “ To win the FA Cup or the League Cup – it will be fantastic for the fans but it is not going to move the club to a different level.
“That is my opinion. Some people respect it; some people don’t. I want to play to win the Premier League and Champions League. If we can win the FA Cup, then fantastic. But if you are going to change the vision or put the club in a different level, you must compete for and then win the Premier League and Champions League.
“People in England love to talk about perception and the changing of perceptions. We had a good Champions League group stage this season – beating Dortmund and Real Madrid – and we competed very well against Juventus [in the last 16]. The dimension of the club around the world changes completely [because of that].”

Looking at what he actually said it's all very fair - he's essentially saying that while he knows it means a huge amount to the fans, in the grand scheme of things it's not going to do much to change our standing in world football. And that's all very true!

At the beginning of the season it was 4th in the list of priorities, after CL win, PL win and top 4 place.
However, to be within touching distance & righting the wrongs of last year’s semi (I am sure we would have won the cup had we beaten the Chavs) in the greatest knockout tournament of them all would make me erupt like a volcano. In fact, I think I may even be happy to sacrifice top 4 to see Hugo, Harry and the rest of the boys lift the Fa cup...

I'm not bothered at all by Poch's comments - as usual they've been twisted out of all recognition.

Full quotes:
“It would be fantastic to win the FA Cup,”
“But is it going to change our life? I don’t believe so. Every one of the semi‑finalists will fight to win but it’s not about who needs the trophy more.”
“If we are capable to win the Premier League and the Champions League, it is a moment you say the team has improved and reached the next level,” Pochettino said. “ To win the FA Cup or the League Cup – it will be fantastic for the fans but it is not going to move the club to a different level.
“That is my opinion. Some people respect it; some people don’t. I want to play to win the Premier League and Champions League. If we can win the FA Cup, then fantastic. But if you are going to change the vision or put the club in a different level, you must compete for and then win the Premier League and Champions League.
“People in England love to talk about perception and the changing of perceptions. We had a good Champions League group stage this season – beating Dortmund and Real Madrid – and we competed very well against Juventus [in the last 16]. The dimension of the club around the world changes completely [because of that].”

Looking at what he actually said it's all very fair - he's essentially saying that while he knows it means a huge amount to the fans, in the grand scheme of things it's not going to do much to change our standing in world football. And that's all very true!

I respect Poch and I think he is right in terms of changing the club. Look at Woolwich who won several FA cups the last few seasons but they're all pretty meaningless, they only gloss over the position the club is really in. Whereas to win the CL of league title is much much harder and you can't fluke it so easily. Having said that, I think in the FA cup, if you have to play at least two good sides and beat them then that cant be just luck and it does signify something, especially if you are achieving well in the other competitions alongside even if not winning it. And for us, as a club who have not won any trophy for ages it is a big deal. In my mind, winning the FA cup would matter a lot because it would tell everyone, our players, other players, fans of the club and rivals, and the media, that we can win, that we have that mentality, and that we are on the rise. Most important of all, our own players, for whom it will convince them that they can go win the league or the CL. We need that, that's what we currently lack. Winning the FA cup would be a step up for us, even if it was just a .5 upgrade on where we are now.

Can't wait for our usual dose of bad luck sprinkled with a good helping of incompetence when playing big cup games

I wonder if I'd feel more depressed losing this game or losing to Chelsea in the final. I think worse to lose to the chavs but at the same time I'd probably take the extra pain in order to break our semi final hoodoo. Praying it's neither (nor a defeat to Southampton in the final, which would also be pretty fucking bad).

Team shape?

The strongest argument for 3-5-2 is that Alderweireld plays Lukaku well on a physical level.

But we sacrifice who if so? Son is the answer if Alli is fit.

Makes us very strong but attacking enough?

Options on the bench of course.

Back
Top Bottom