Tottenham Hotspur v. Manchester United - F.A. Cup Semi-Final

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just so I know what level of reality we are operating on, are we seriously using us losing semi finals in the nineties as a stick to beat this team with?

We are actually saying that losing eight in a row is a “mentality” thing? When loads of our team yesterday weren’t even alive when this “run” started?

I’m not sure how I’d even categorise that. Stupid doesn’t seem to do it justice.

Hugo Lloris
coupe de France

Toby Alderweireld
Eredivise x3
KNVB Cup
La Liga

Jan Vertonghen
Eredivise x2
KNVB Cup x2

Davinson Sanchez
Copa Libertadores
Copa Colombia x2

Ben Davies
League Cup

Victor Wanyama
Scottish Premier League x2
Scottish Cup

Fernando Llorente
Serie A x3
Coppa Italia
Europa League
World Cup
European Championship

Mousa Dembele
Eredivisie

Christian Eriksen
Eredivisie x4
KNVB Cup

Serge Aurier
Ligue 1 x2
Coupe de la Ligue x3
Coupe de France x3
African Cup of Nations

Lucas Moura
Copa Sudamerica
Ligue 1 x4
Coupe de France x3
Coupe de la Ligue x4
Confederations Cup

We have a team full of winners. These players KNOW what it takes to win domestic trophies, league titles and they know they do.

The fans are the ones with the doubts. That creeps into the players.

Poch's fitness routine has us start the season jaded and end the season jaded.

Someone needs to tell him that seasons are defined in April and no one gives a fuck about January. Happens every single year.
Like last year when we scored about 30 goals in 4 games. You only appear when we lose you're like the fucking candyman.

The worst thing is that I'm use to this. We all are. And the moment when we were 2:1, I knew deep down we lost in semifinal, again. I had no faith in comeback, I've seen it once at Turin and that's it. Terrible feeling.

I have been in so much pain from this result that I haven't been able to even talk about it until now. I don't know why but I felt that this was the game the players would step up for. After the result all I could think about was the Spursy nearly men...and you just know that at least one of the cunt collections at Liverpool or Woolwich will lift a trophy this year.

What is bothering me as well are Poch's comments about the project going on with someone else. Now we can speculate what he means, but I can only think it is one of three things. He feels he has come as far as he can without financial investment and is sending a "spend or I'm off message" to Levy. He has had his heard turned or he fears that if he doesn't start wining trophies he's going to be sacked. None of these are good to my mind.

What has annoyed me about Poch is that he has come out and said that the fans need to have reasonable expectations. Well, frankly some of us do. I think this season, given we've played at Wembley the whole time, is a success if we finish top four. A trophy is a bonus. But when Poch talks of League and Champion's League wins it is arrogant. Yes, we should aspire to those things for progression. Of course. But he's got to eat a bit of humble pie and realise that he is just as much a work in progress as the team and the foundations of the club. He can't keep talking down the League Cup and FA Cup when he has thus far proven unable to even win one. He needs to instil that winning mentality in both himself and the players. The difference between us and your Uniteds and Liverpools, and dare I say even maybe Chelsea and the Scum, is that they have shown in the past the ability to rise to the big occasions. In contrast, for the best part of three decades we have failed when it really matters and for all the big wins against Real, etc, it seems that there is still that deep routed mentality in the club that Spurs just can't get over the line. What I don't want to see though is a Poch exit. I want him to mature with us and become the finished article. He will harm his own progression if he leaves before he has truly mastered facing squad changes and learning how to win.

I also think all this talk of us going backwards is absolute and utter tosh. There is maybe an argument we have not pushed on as much as we could have, but the league has been much more competitive this year and the aforementioned Wembley issue will always be a factor. All things considered we have done pretty well and our CL form has obviously significantly improved...and we really need to stop and think about how far we have come over the past decade. If we get top four again that will be our fifth top four finish in a decade. 10-15 years ago that would be a dream that any true Spurs fan would have ripped someone's arm off for. We do not have the global reach and profile of United, Liverpool and Woolwich and the cash of City or Chelsea. We have no god given right to be in the top four. That we are competing nonetheless should be savoured and our expectations should not run away with ourselves. I will be disappointed if Poch goes, the squad collapses and the project goes backwards for a few years, but with the work Levy has put in to transform the club facilities and stadium the foundation is such that we will have another shot in the future, whether it's under Levy or another owner.

I am hurting right now, but my rational side says that we have much to be grateful for and even if Poch goes the club is, in my opinion, going in the right direction.

Now I'm off to top myself....

Are we going to bottle it again?
This is what I don't want to hear if we lose a close game. United are a good side, with a proven winning manager and strong players. If we bend over and lose like we did against Chelsea, then maybe. But if we were to lose a close 2-1 or something I don't want to hear bottling. If we had Soton, maybe.

Losing to United is a very real option, they are a good side. If somewhat boring.

Please make sure of your individual circumstances. This match is 90 mins but can go to another 30 mins of extra time and penalties, so prepared for a late Saturday night up to 8pm.
Popcorn not allowed in the stadium. You are not in a cinema.
And can we also slap up anyone wearing a half and half scarf. That is really pissing me off.

I don't think Poch has thought about the fans with his comment too much to be honest. Me as a fan if we won the fa cup would probably class it as the second best day of my life (after the birth of my child) -that's how much winning this trophy would mean to me. For Poch just to say 'it doesn't matter that much' is a bit of a kick in the teeth to be honest. Maybe its mind games and takes the pressure of the players, I dunno. All I know is that I really want this trophy!

Opening myself for abuse, but I’d drop Kane for this.

He’s looked well off the pace since he came back, and Son is more than capable of leading the line. An on song Son is better than an unfit Kane imo.

Can always bring Kane on if we need him later.

I’d also keep Vorm in goal.

*runs*

I really fear for this team. I can see it breaking up unfortunately. It could be the best team to never win anything.

Ericsson I suspect may think that he's better off at a club that win things, Barcelona are rumoured to be sniffing about. Without him I think we are no where near the team then with him.

Back
Top Bottom