Tottenham Hotspur v Hull City

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We must start to be inventive and not rely on chance as against Swansea. We need to get our game going quickly, play with swagger and show some steel. The 11 we put out should be too strong for Hull and should win this, especially after Utd failure. We really need to turn that proverbial corner and start showing the true form from last season not rely on stats to support where we are?

We must start to be inventive and not rely on chance as against Swansea. We need to get our game going quickly, play with swagger and show some steel. The 11 we put out should be too strong for Hull and should win this, especially after Utd failure. We really need to turn that proverbial corner and start showing the true form from last season not rely on stats to support where we are?

I do agree but credit where its due......the Swansea game was statistically the most one sided in PL history.
Hardly relied on chance.

That's positive news about Lamela finally!

I agree with what many others have suggested. Time to give Sissoko and N'Koudou a chance. Son and Dele just haven't been up to it recently. Dier or Wanyama I am fine with either the rest of the team picks itself.

Wouldn't mind seeing the below

Lloris
Walker Toby Verts Rose
Dier Winks
Sissoko Eriksen Son
Kane.

I would replace Son but I think we need at least one of Son or Alli for the goalscoring and Alli for me has been on poorer form.

Dier Winks for me should give us quick ball forward.

-----------------------------Lloris-------------------------
Trippier--Alderweireld--Vertonghen--Rose
--------------------------Dier-----Alli------------------
----Sissoko------------Eriksen--------------Son--
-------------------------Kane----------------------------

..................................Lloris

Walker...............Toby............Jan.................Rose

...................Dier..................Wanyama

Sissoko...................Alli....................Eriksen

...............................Kane

Son needs to see the bench for me
8-0

I do agree but credit where its due......the Swansea game was statistically the most one sided in PL history.
Hardly relied on chance.
We laboured until Alli did a Tom Daley and got a pen.-after that they collapsed. Stats (this is my point) may show it to be one sided but the performance (for me) does to reflect the where we are as a side.

There are occasion during games where the correct decision is not being made by players whether its a pass, a shot, run off or tackle, whatever, its holding us back-we have lost that fluency-understanding?

image url upload

I think if we play this formation & get the players to the home board early doors, using the "drunk U" game plan, it should make for a very interesting game .
There is too much dependent on the luck of the standard dice-we need to create our own luck.

th

We laboured until Alli did a Tom Daley and got a pen.-after that they collapsed. Stats (this is my point) may show it to be one sided but the performance (for me) does to reflect the where we are as a side.

There are occasion during games where the correct decision is not being made by players whether its a pass, a shot, run off or tackle, whatever, its holding us back-we have lost that fluency-understanding?
I'm not claiming that stats are an indication of how we play compared to last season, I'm saying that 28 shots with 15 on target, against one off target effort from them is not "relying on chance"

Slate the bad performances, but no need to belittle the good ones

Put very simply we need to win this game and the Burnley game or we can forget any idea of top 4 and better. It becomes like being the batting side in the last innings of a test match. Sure you can get the runs but nearly inevitably you fall short. We can't let any gaps between us and that current top 4 get bigger.

So for me it is less to do with how many points would still be available but all about the connotations of such a relative failure by failing to beat two recently promoted sides

I think we actually need a couple of resounding performances and victories to show the chasing pack that the little stitch we had is now in the past and we are back and full of energy.

No doubt it has been hard for nearly all our midfield/front players to replicate the form of last season but we still have more than enough if we quickly rediscover that panache, speed of movement and a more clinical edge in front of goal.

Last edited:
When you put all our team together we have an incredible strong squad, we just haven't had them all available together yet.

Loris

Walker
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose

Dembele
Dier

Lamela
Alli
Eriksen

Kane

Vorm
Davies
Wimmer
Wanyama
Sissoko
Son
Janssen

Lopez
Trippier
CCV
Winks
Onomah
N'Koudo

Tomorrow.. we need to play our strongest team possible. Hull are going to come to sit, they have a lot of ex Spurs who are going to want to show what we let go.

If we get 2/3-0 up then get N'Koudo and Sissoko a run. To start though I'd just swap either Dembele with Winks or play Dier and Winks together and give Wanyama a rest.

If Dembele is out, what about giving Sissoko a chance in that position.

Alongside Dier rather than Wanyama I'd say.

I would love to see that. His first year at Newcastle watching him he had some unbelievable performances playing box to box as a CM. Not sure why he has been shifted out on the wing and further forward. I suppose at Newcastle it was a case of them needing goals and creativity further forward but I would like to see how he gets on in a deeper role with us personally.

When we signed him initially I thought it was a good like for like with Dembele but apparently Poch doesn't fancy him there? I dunno

Back
Top Bottom