Tottenham Hotspur v Chelscum - FA Cup Semi Final

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Christian should give him the number of the bloke who did his weave, Conte's is looking dodgy.

Conte is struggling with the pressure. I can feel it.

If there's a strange selection by him tomorrow, crack out the bunting.

Conte's no newcomer. Played big matches for Juve and did good with them as manager. Same for the Italian NT. The whole world was giving him stick saying he selected the worst Italian team since forever before the Euro 2016.

The reason he's under pressure is because he'd probably already spoken with Ancelotti who already told him about what failing under the big Russian crook looks like.

I hope we don't play them like we did last season during that 2-2 draw.
That's was overdone. The fouling, hard tackles, Kyle popping Costa's eye in.
Don't care what people say here it was extremely dumb and we could've ended that game with maybe 9 men left.

Let them be the wild pack chasing us and making dumb fouls. We're above them now.

Contes mind games are shit because his English overall is pretty shit.

To my mind what happened last years was good. We couldn't win that game because the team we were playing had no intention of winning only of stopping us winning. Last year we didn't quite have enough experience to overcome that and win. This year it would be different if the circumstances were identical. Though as a cup semi final there can be no draw so things are all good.

Last year's game comes into play now because they know we are not pushovers who will accept being bad mouthed. I remember watching the likes of Chelsea, Woolwich and Utd having fights on the pitch just like that around a decade or more ago, each making sure they were not disrespected and demonstrating they would fight fire with fire. We weren't going to beat Leicester last year anyway, so the positive from the way we behaved outdid the negative in my eye.

Talking of eyes, the eye gouge (from Dembele) was the only thing that was not ok in my book. He was rightly banned for that.

Obviously, this year is different. I wouldn't want us to play like that this year because we can win the title and the cup. There is no draw scenario so the game can't simply be spoiled by the other team who aren't good enough to win it but can get a draw.

I don't mind Conte, I think he is a good guy generally, I don't even blame him for trying mind games, but he really isn't very good at them and they betray his desperation and panic in my view.

To my mind what happened last years was good. We couldn't win that game because the team we were playing had no intention of winning only of stopping us winning. Last year we didn't quite have enough experience to overcome that and win. This year it would be different if the circumstances were identical. Though as a cup semi final there can be no draw so things are all good.

Last year's game comes into play now because they know we are not pushovers who will accept being bad mouthed. I remember watching the likes of Chelsea, Woolwich and Utd having fights on the pitch just like that around a decade or more ago, each making sure they were not disrespected and demonstrating they would fight fire with fire. We weren't going to beat Leicester last year anyway, so the positive from the way we behaved outdid the negative in my eye.

Talking of eyes, the eye gouge (from Dembele) was the only thing that was not ok in my book. He was rightly banned for that.

Obviously, this year is different. I wouldn't want us to play like that this year because we can win the title and the cup. There is no draw scenario so the game can't simply be spoiled by the other team who aren't good enough to win it but can get a draw.

I don't mind Conte, I think he is a good guy generally, I don't even blame him for trying mind games, but he really isn't very good at them and they betray his desperation and panic in my view.

He can try all he want; Mauricio ain't gonna fall for it.
Nothing against Conte as well. Never moans or makes digs like Mourinho does but he is the Chavs manager so.

“Tottenham now is a really great power in English football,” Conte said.

“There is a moment you have to finish considering yourself an underdog. I think this is the right moment.

“This is the third year for them (under Pochettino).

“Tottenham is a great team.

MInd games or not, he's spot on. Its basically what Poch said today....I dont see how his comments can play on our minds. Its simply facts.

Looking forward to this. I'm slightly worried that we are at Wembley. In the midfield we are relatively slow. I think our amazing home run is in part due to WHL having one of the narrowest pitches. So our pace in the final third in attack/midfield isn't as big a problem. With Wembley being so wide, I think that is why our track record there is poor.

Son has helped the pace in the final third. Dembele is looking fitter than usual and his pace is better than the "coming back from injury" Dembele. I'm worried that Poch will put a slow line or bunch of players together. Something the op can attack. Eg: Davies/Alli/Eriksen or Davies/Dembele/Eriksen. An area that Chelsea's fast wings can attack on the break.

I think the lineup is key. If he bunches slow players in midfield (Dier/Dembele/Eriksen) it could be another avenue of the op's attack on a large pitch. So I hope Wanyama plays as he has deceptive pace and amazing reading of the game. It's great Dier can learn from him too.

IMO the only issues at Spurs are pace in the midfield/attack, young squad and Poch can have bizarre tactics (risky passing out from the back and can put out risky lineups) but whatever Poch lacks as a young manager his fitness and team ethic trumps it. And we are young but full of energy so even our shortcomings are overlapped by our other qualities.

It's been a great run. I was frustrated with Poch's tactics but he's growing with this squad and progressing with us. I think he knows we'll need pace in the future. I doubt we will get more players like Jensen in the off season. I think he'll go the pace rout. I hope so.

Looking forward to this. I'm slightly worried that we are at Wembley. In the midfield we are relatively slow. I think our amazing home run is in part due to WHL having one of the narrowest pitches. So our pace in the final third in attack/midfield isn't as big a problem. With Wembley being so wide, I think that is why our track record there is poor.
White Hart Lane: 110 x 73 yd
Wembley: 115 by 75 yd

2 measly yards. Frankly I'm tired of this argument.

Son has helped the pace in the final third. Dembele is looking fitter than usual and his pace is better than the "coming back from injury" Dembele. I'm worried that Poch will put a slow line or bunch of players together. Something the op can attack. Eg: Davies/Alli/Eriksen or Davies/Dembele/Eriksen. An area that Chelsea's fast wings can attack on the break.

I think the lineup is key. If he bunches slow players in midfield (Dier/Dembele/Eriksen) it could be another avenue of the op's attack on a large pitch. So I hope Wanyama plays as he has deceptive pace and amazing reading of the game. It's great Dier can learn from him too.

IMO the only issues at Spurs are pace in the midfield/attack, young squad and Poch can have bizarre tactics (risky passing out from the back and can put out risky lineups) but whatever Poch lacks as a young manager his fitness and team ethic trumps it. And we are young but full of energy so even our shortcomings are overlapped by our other qualities.

It's been a great run. I was frustrated with Poch's tactics but he's growing with this squad and progressing with us. I think he knows we'll need pace in the future. I doubt we will get more players like Jensen in the off season. I think he'll go the pace rout. I hope so.
So, Gibbsy, what I think you're saying, is that we lack pace in midfield? :pocheyes:

Back
Top Bottom