Tottenham Hotspur v. AS Roma (I-Tech Cup) July 30, KO 19:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only just watched the game. This Lenglet chap looks bloody useful. I know he's only a year loan but if he carries on as he's begun, do we have any kind of head start if we want to buy him?

It just means that I find him more impressive to watch at the moment than Kane/Son. The rate and extent to which his absolutely batters attackers on his side of the pitch, even roaming all the way to the half way line, the way he makes up for Emerson and Dier, it's more impressive than Kane and Son, who, besides those magnificent few minutes, tend to be less imposing on the opposition. In fact, Kulu is more of a headache for most defences over the course of a full 90 mins.

This is all merely a reflection on the position, the individual's stye of play and the way the balance of our games are.....

Neutrals tend to be behind the curve on this sort of stuff. That's why I said, it's only a matter of time before he's recognised more widely as the best CB in the league and among the very best in the world.

It took years for Kane to establish universal acclaim as being amongst the elite in his position.

Romero simply hasn't played enough for us to be getting the kind of accolades you're showing him with.

Point with Argentina is that his performances were just the same as in the PL. He's still got the same quality of touch, pass, aggression, 1v1 defending, positional sense etc. There's no appreciable difference between what he does for us and what he does for Argentina. If anything he was MORE aggressive for Argentina. I really don't see how his game in a back 3 for us has benefited any more than in a back 4 for Argentina. I think if we improve our overall quality, we'll see him carry the ball out of defence even more.

You literally just said:

"I saw him in a back 4 for Argentina, he was still top notch. I was still hesitent cos it was copa America, which isn't on the level of the PL, but he's proving that it's not an outlier."

You acknowledge he was playing back 4 at a lower level..... How does playing in a 3 prove that said lower level wasn't a significant factor?

(I'm not gonna explain the obvious benefits of an additional CB is in this context..... I fear that would just be patronising.)

Missed the game, how we doing? Panicking or remaining calm?

"I saw him in a back 4 for Argentina, he was still top notch. I was still hesitent cos it was copa America, which isn't on the level of the PL, but he's proving that it's not an outlier."

You acknowledge he was playing back 4 at a lower level..... How does playing in a 3 prove that said lower level wasn't a significant factor?
That's a fair point, but even though the quality is a little lower, it's the general style and individual decisions and execution (things I mentioned like touch, consistency/accuracy of passing, 1v1s etc) that was still top level, which gives me the confidence that he can do it in the PL in a back 4 too. It's no exggeration to say that he (and De Paul, and the keeper) were the key to that copa America final victory.

It's not guaranteed, but given how he translated his play from a central role in a back 3 to a RCB, and a back 4 for Argentina, I don't see a reason to worry about at a "back 3 tax". Like I said, his current role at Spurs is probably the most conservative out of the three. He started super aggressive at Spurs too and collected yellows at his typical prodigious rate, but has completely sorted that out too.

So rather than greater freedom and defensive cover as a RCB in a back 3, he's getting less chances to maraude forward, and having to cover for Dier and Emerson, but still managing to replicate a lot of the aggression higher up the pitch that he has for Argentina.

I think over time you and others will come around to the idea that he's on the level of a VVD if not close to it.

That's a fair point, but even though the quality is a little lower, it's the general style and individual decisions and execution (things I mentioned like touch, consistency/accuracy of passing, 1v1s etc) that was still top level, which gives me the confidence that he can do it in the PL in a back 4 too. It's no exggeration to say that he (and De Paul, and the keeper) were the key to that copa America final victory.

It's not guaranteed, but given how he translated his play from a central role in a back 3 to a RCB, and a back 4 for Argentina, I don't see a reason to worry about at a "back 3 tax". Like I said, his current role at Spurs is probably the most conservative out of the three. He started super aggressive at Spurs too and collected yellows at his typical prodigious rate, but has completely sorted that out too.

So rather than greater freedom and defensive cover as a RCB in a back 3, he's getting less chances to maraude forward, and having to cover for Dier and Emerson, but still managing to replicate a lot of the aggression higher up the pitch that he has for Argentina.

I think over time you and others will come around to the idea that he's on the level of a VVD if not close to it.

I don't need to "come round" to the idea of him becoming a top player...... Just think he needs a far bigger body of work behind him to warrant the "best in the world" tag that you've bestowed upon him tonight.

Last edited:
London Smile GIF by Tottenham Hotspur
We missed him today
Arrested Development Tobias GIF

Pre-season this pre-season that but watching Real-Juve right now and Barca-Juve and City-Liv recently, they're several levels above what we've shown so far.

Much more crisp and accurate passing, more movement and combination plays, moment of individual quality, pace of play etc.

Night and day.

Watching the game now and saw clear improvement with Perisic over Sessegnon, also Doherty was our best RWB in pre season. It's hard not to get pissed with the loss but I think the team is doing well and we shouldn't be trying our best now tbh, let's avoid injuries and ovetraining and be on top form next week. COYS!

Then we better hope Lenglet hits the ground running or we buy a new LCB.

With Rodon and perhaps Tanganga out of the door, Sanchez may get quite a lot of playing time this season. I’m pessimistic about him.
No problem with him playing CB or RCB if needed, he was good there last season. But as LCB he's a pain to watch.

'twas hell. with humidity it was like 34c in the stadium, one of the hottest nights in the year. I was sweating like a hog just watching.
The match was crap. but who cares in pre-season. Bissouma and Perisic looked good. Sanchez had better days.

The matchday itself was pleasant. I was surprised with how many spurs faithful turned up. we had 2-3K behind the goal. I think the players were quite surprised and didn't get why there are spurs flags behind the goal.
I usually don't like the meetups with the local spurs supporters (part for my group of veterans) and a bit snobby dealing with them. But yesterday was ok I suppose because of the surprising amount of British Jews that turned up. The rumours of a silent immigration wave seem apt. I even saw Jewish chavs, that was a first anywhere for me.

Nearly kicked off with the Italians outside. low class pricks.

Last edited:
Missed the game, how we doing? Panicking or remaining calm?
I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I'm a bit depressed. We played a decent team last night and we just seemed to be the same-old-same-old. Reality returned to haunt me.
Perisic was nice and sparky though. Romero was good again. Richarlison looks like he's up for it and I'm clinging to the hope that some of the other new signings will show creativity when they've settled in, because too many of the current first team squad are unimaginative cloggers (for example, Royal, Doherty, Sessegnon and Sanchez can actually just go, as far as I'm concerned). Can't wait for Skippy to get back, too.
Knowing Spurs, I'm not holding my breath for the coming season.

Not panicking, but a long way from calm, too.

Last edited:
We either need to replicate Harry so he can play as our striker and also as an attacking midfielder, or more realistically sign someone with a bit of craft that can quickly link play from midfield to the forward and also thread a through ball. Eriksen would have been perfect as he's still a wonderful player and exactly what we are missing. James Maddison is another player I've mentioned more than once, but he will cost 50+ million. We can choose two from Bissouma, Bentancur, Skipp and Hojbjerg, but whichever combination you opt for, it offers next to nothing going forward. Perisic will have his moments from wing-back because he's a quality footballer but he's still a 33 year old that will be playing in a league where you're given far less time on the ball than in Italy. You can only expect so much from him.

Until we bring in someone that can unlock a team from midfield we'll continue to struggle in a lot of games where the opposition sits deep and defends a lead.
Totally agree! Relying on WBs for creativity is worrying. Don’t know what happened with Erickson but we should have gone all out to get him even if wages were high. We paid relative peanuts for nearly 7 seasons.
Alternative really now is Maddison. £50M plus winks or anyone else Leicester want. Problem is getting this type of player into contes system. Who even in the friendlies has rigidly stick to 5 at the back and 2 CM holders. Really does limi our attacking options.

But all jokes aside, Ndombele against deep defense with tired legs for last 20 minutes would be effective
Too late I was advocating that last season but conte doesn’t want him and it seems like he doesn’t trust these types of player. Although not sure if he is pushing for a play maker. We seem to have spent all summer chasing defenders and we got richarlison and the jury is out on him.
May be stick kulu as a 10?

felt Kulu was invisable yesterday
davidson was poor (as always when played on the left)
as others have said no one to create anything, seem to rely on the CH's to create and that won't work with Davidson/davies or Dier
only way a creative MF gets into Conte style is as WB

Back
Top Bottom