Tottenham Boys - We Are Here

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

78 i think.

571bdd17120d5b8954cf23320294b407.jpg

Spot on. Travelling into the frozen wastelands of the north was like being in a Mad Max movie. It was kill or be killed (not literally of course).

Even non-firm fans used to have to do their bit when the need arose.

One of the best aways that season was of course Millwall away on Boxing Day (where, in my mind, the song about fighting on Boxing Day originated?) Where leaflets were passed around the Park Lane at the previous home game with the message 'dont bottle it' with details of where to meet and at what time etc .

The mob we had walking from London Bridge to the old Den had to be seen to be believed.

Probably my favourite ever memory of supporting Spurs was when we got relegated and the fans invaded the pitch and demanded the team came out into the directors box and took a standing ovation. Pat Jennings said the players were too embarrassed at first but when they came out it was more like they had won the title than had been relegated. Proper fans proper supporters in those days.
bd3e7b18ae2ca7f6ee3bd60c941c6dda.jpg

I remember one year - I believe it may have been 2015 - my phone's battery was so drained from live vlogging the game that I had to put it into power saving mode on the way home. What days. What heady days.

This thread is a brilliant read. I'm sure I'm not the only #millenial to be more than a little jealous

My old man said be a Woolwich fan, I said “fcuk off, bollocks you’re a cunt”
We took the North Bank in half a minute,
We took the the Shed with the Chelsea in it,
We Hammered the Hammers,
With carving knifes and spanners,
We taught the Millwall how to fight,
So I’ll never be a Gunner, Cos every cunts a runner,
That’s what I told my old man!
Some of us changed the words of the second line to 'no thank you daddy, not today'.:)

The version we used to sing was thus:
My old man said be a woolwich fan i said fuck off bollocks you're a cunt
I follow Tottenham cos they're supreme i follow Tottenham they're the best i've seen
you name it we've won it, the double we have done it
and we've never lost at Wemberleeee
oh i couldn't be a gunner cos everyone's a runner
and we always take the north bank highbury

All together now.....

I think it’s Easter 82, we won 3-1 and were deep in the mix for the league. We had 8 matches in 16 days due to playing 4 competitions throughout the season and missed the title.

I’m trying to find pictures from the Everton match in 85 for the title. They brought some 5 roosters to the shelf
If it's that game I was one of those in the clock end. Didn't Mickey H score twice?

This thread is a great read. I started going to games in 1989-90 when it was a lot safer, although I was a geeky schoolboy with glasses, so not exactly a magnet for anything too colourful. There was still an edge to football, which I loved. I still got to stand in cage terraces like The Dell and trips up north felt like real journeys into another world. Places like Maine Road, Elland Road and Highfield Road were gritty, miserable, but fun. The annual takeover of Selhurst Park for Wimbledon was always an amazing away day. But it was rarely dangerous, unless you went looking for trouble. It’s all why I enjoy the old grounds for away matches now way more than any others, however shit the sight lines.

There were quite a few of us skins in the late 70's, most in that pic were from hertfordshire
I'm sure quite a few of them are Stevenage boys. I've seen other pics from that crowd standing outside the Mecca opposite the bus station. Um sure the pics are on here somewhere.

If you went to an away game by Wally coach it would drop you back off outside the White Hart pub.

We would go in to get autographs from the players who had got back before us and were having a drink. Apart from the autographs we would leave them in peace.

From memory I got Perryman, Osgood, McNabb, Taylor, Naylor and one or two others.

Shortly after that I started making my own way to games so that put an end to that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom