Tottenham Boys - We Are Here

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Going back to playing Wolves away back in the seventies and eighties, never thought they were anything special, well the mob I used to go with never had problems. Also went up there for a midweek testimonial for one of their players and I think we only had about 50 -70 there and we still never backed off from them.
Did anyone go to Maine Rd. for the cup replay against Altrincham when we were singing we never join with woolwich to the united and city fans, to which they later started to fight one and another.
I think our coach outside was the only only one not to bricked after the game. Went with K R coaches.

The Bolton goal was better than the Watford one as it was a much tighter angle and outside the box. Just forgotton/unknown as not on TV. Glad to say I was present for the Man U and Forest goals.
On a technical basis, his goals at home to Birmingham and at Chelscum in the FA Cup were absolutely superb.

Going back to playing Wolves away back in the seventies and eighties, never thought they were anything special, well the mob I used to go with never had problems. Also went up there for a midweek testimonial for one of their players and I think we only had about 50 -70 there and we still never backed off from them.
Did anyone go to Maine Rd. for the cup replay against Altrincham when we were singing we never join with woolwich to the united and city fans, to which they later started to fight one and another.
I think our coach outside was the only only one not to bricked after the game. Went with K R coaches.
I was at that game - our first FA Cup win for over 5 years! I seem to remember that fracas kicked off to our left, next to the Platt Lane seats.
Wrexham away in the next round was a cracking match. Must have been CJ's only hat trick for us.
At Oldham we all got on the pitch after the game.
Man Utd at home in the quarter finals - should have killed the game off before half time. Had a goal disallowed that was never a foul on Bailey.

The Bolton goal was better than the Watford one as it was a much tighter angle and outside the box. Just forgotton/unknown as not on TV. Glad to say I was present for the Man U and Forest goals.
Jimmy Armfield was at the match and said it was the best goal he'd ever seen. He was involved in pro football as player, manager, media for over 50 years.

Platini said exactly that. He said if Hoddle was French he would have both been captain of, and never have missed a match for his country!
They'd have put him in the middle of the park and built the team around him for the next 100 games. Clough I think said his instructions would have been "win the ball then give it to HIM". Perryman said that there was one Winter that was so frozen they couldn't train outside for a spell. Every day they'd be in the gym playing indoors on a tiny "pitch", no space, no time, 100 mph stuff from start to finish. Hoddle never once lost possession, his ball control was so good. Of course the ball was bouncing off everyone else like crazy.

I was at that Bolton match, I just couldn't see how he could score from there. It was impossible.

So many matches then just weren't on the telly. I was watching from the Shelf v Saints in 86-87. I've mentioned this before. Hoddle picked up the ball with his back to goal in his own half, way out on the right. he turned, saw Hodge starting a run way out left, launched an absolute missile that Hodge at full sprint managed to get his left peg on 15 yards out on the first time volley, Shilton in goal I think so no slouch. The finish wasn't spectacular, a bobbler, it wasn't on telly so no one will remember it, but the pass was sensational. He used to do it all the time.

They'd have put him in the middle of the park and built the team around him for the next 100 games. Clough I think said his instructions would have been "win the ball then give it to HIM". Perryman said that there was one Winter that was so frozen they couldn't train outside for a spell. Every day they'd be in the gym playing indoors on a tiny "pitch", no space, no time, 100 mph stuff from start to finish. Hoddle never once lost possession, his ball control was so good. Of course the ball was bouncing off everyone else like crazy.

I was at that Bolton match, I just couldn't see how he could score from there. It was impossible.

So many matches then just weren't on the telly. I was watching from the Shelf v Saints in 86-87. I've mentioned this before. Hoddle picked up the ball with his back to goal in his own half, way out on the right. he turned, saw Hodge starting a run way out left, launched an absolute missile that Hodge at full sprint managed to get his left peg on 15 yards out on the first time volley, Shilton in goal I think so no slouch. The finish wasn't spectacular, a bobbler, it wasn't on telly so no one will remember it, but the pass was sensational. He used to do it all the time.

It was a pass only he could have seen/played. Everyone ran to Hod, and Hodge was left on his own to celebrate.

I was at that game - our first FA Cup win for over 5 years! I seem to remember that fracas kicked off to our left, next to the Platt Lane seats.
Wrexham away in the next round was a cracking match. Must have been CJ's only hat trick for us.
At Oldham we all got on the pitch after the game.
Man Utd at home in the quarter finals - should have killed the game off before half time. Had a goal disallowed that was never a foul on Bailey.

There's a photo which shows Chris Jones jumping with him but a foot away. Bailey simply dropped the ball, clearly seen from the Enclosure where I was.

There's a photo which shows Chris Jones jumping with him but a foot away. Bailey simply dropped the ball, clearly seen from the Enclosure where I was.
Typical Bailey. Utter shite keeper. Gifted the goons the 3rd in the 3-2 FA cup final 79 by charging a mile out of his goal then missing the cross. Hated it that he "saved" the "and Smith must score" in the 83 final.

I loved the routine of away games, Always on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm, so it didn't matter where we had to travel to, we didn't have to get up at silly o'clock and we'd be home before midnight. Some of my random memories from travelling on the Supporter's Club trains:
- Jack with his trolley, sorting out the programmes
- wagon wheels
- we always seemed to get the oldest rolling stock, but to be fair, they always got us there on time
- whenever we stopped at Crewe, the train spotters getting a load of verbal abuse
Still see a couple of the stewards from back then at away games.

Stood there for a few years including as a ST holder until we got moved to the middle of the shelf. A packed shelf was a glorius sight, and one of the reasons why we chose to stay in the Paxton in NWHL. The white wall is best viewed from there.
A couple of memories stick out from the enclosure:
Playing Millwall in 2nd division. Couldn't get near my usual spot by the tunnel, as every hard nut in town decided they wanted to get near to the away support and I ended up on half way line.
There were a couple of mobs who always stood by the tunnel, both led by massive guys. Just before ko at one match one of them went up to the other and lumped him one! Nothing else kicked off, and they continued to stand there in future until we moved.

We're the enclosure, we're the enclosure, we're the enclosure Tottenham!
Which block in the Paxton are you in?

I rarely do aways these days,but do miss the pubs that we all met up in,however you got there.
Warrington for Merseyside or Manchester was always a good laugh.The Highwayman first,then we moved down the road a bit to a pub that's name escapes me.
I remember being in some massive barn of a place in Leeds for the cup semi against Everton. They were doing sunday dinners in massive yorkshire puddings.Loads from Chingford in there that day.
The pub in Coventry right opposite the away end,only went in there once i think,but another big old place.
Being in sheffield the friday night before a game against Wednesday and being forced into clubbing it(not my musical thing) and a good few northern blokes in suits(this was about 94 and i thought that had died out even up there by then).David Pleat was their manager and was in the same hotel as us.Came across as an ok bloke when we met him in the bar,even after one of the blokes with us asked if the lady he was with was a brass.He pretended he didn't hear it.We pulled the bloke on it after as it was out of order as Pleat was polite and friendly to us at a time when a lot of people connected with clubs still viewed us as a necessary evil.

My first away game outside London was at Wolves in 69. A League Cup match, we lost 1-0.

Cyril Knowles' brother Peter played his last game for them that night as he quit to become a Jehovah's Witness.
A strange quirk about our initial participation in the League Cup;
In our first 10 campaigns we either got to at least the semi finals, or were knocked out at the first stage.
And wonder how many other teams have been knocked out by two different Welsh clubs in both cups, in the same season.....(76/77)

Back
Top Bottom