Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Na mate we don't need to rework our wage structure, don't you know. We'll just buy players from the lower leagues and pay them minimum wage, the propah way
Ha, you always resort to this shit.

Do you understand our new stadium opens in June? The wage structure will change then and not a minute sooner. Relax.

We also forget that fairly often what we pay to a player ends up going into other things outside of football as well.

Davinson uses a lot of his money to fund a charity organisation he set up that makes sure that kids in Colombia get to play football in a safe environment after school.

Adebayor basically fed and clothed his entire extended family during his PL career.

I'm not saying Toby grew up in poverty and is feeding and entire village on his salary. But a lot of players have these side projects that they fund with their money. So them wanting a bit extra is not that weird.

Whilst it’s not great to have to consider what other teams pay their players, or what team mates get paid, we don’t operate in a vacuum.

If Toby A feels he deserves a rise because Loren gets paid more, or Kane gets paid more, or he knows that Real would pay him more, this must be considered in negotiations.

Also, to turn down a pay rise because it’s “something we don’t do”, probably isn’t fiscally responsible. Let’s say we need to replace him with a similarly skilled European Centre back from a top European side. Maybe £60m. Plus a £10m signing fee. Plus £100k per week. So over five years, that’s £97.5m or £375k per week. It’d be cheaper to give the guy a pay rise.

His timing was stupid for many reasons but the injury was one of them.. but that aside- he was the best LB in the league for 2 years in a row. In fact the best fullback period in the league and one of the best in Europe.
And he signed a contract at the end of that period. If he ''knows what he's worth'' and was being exploited, why did he sign it?

Because the wage structure has nothing to do with how well the players work on the pitch. I think most people can agree that there are players out there earning ludicrous money who are actually quite shite.

But that in itself causes a conundrum. I don't blame Tottenham players for looking at the results they achieve contra the money they make and going "wonder why I make less than X over at club Y despite doing a better job at the end of the day? Gotta talk with the boss about that".

Most players are mature human beings and handle such things like adults, by talking with their managers, or the managing staff themselves see that players a performing well and reward them with new improved deals. Just look at how many we dished out last season.

I won't throw shit at Alderweireld for wanting to set up the best possible new deal he can get with Tottenham. He has a long term contract so as long as he and the club handles this professionally I have no problem with negotiations taking a while.

What I have a problem with is people seemingly throwing him under the bus for apparently wanting an improved deal when he signs one.

You are welcome to your views but I'm of the opinion that any footballer not satisfied with £300,000 a month needs to take a look at themselves.

You are welcome to your views but I'm of the opinion that any footballer not satisfied with £300,000 a month needs to take a look at themselves.
I’d love that to be the case, but it’s nit that realistic. Let’s say you could have a comfortable life on £50k per annum, but get paid £75k per annum. Great so far.
The guy at the desk next to you isn’t as good at this job, but gets £150k per annum. Don’t you want parity? Maybe not, but I’d suggest you’d be in the minority.

I’d love that to be the case, but it’s nit that realistic. Let’s say you could have a comfortable life on £50k per annum, but get paid £75k per annum. Great so far.
The guy at the desk next to you isn’t as good at this job, but gets £150k per annum. Don’t you want parity? Maybe not, but I’d suggest you’d be in the minority.
If I'm happy, I'm happy.

Not into peering through the curtains to see what the Jones' are up to.

Where does it end? Like I said before somebody somewhere will always earn more. If Toby thought his wage was ok, it should still be ok just because City pay more, for example.
He doesn't play for City

Agreed. However, football is a bubble that doesn't really intersect with the real world.

I would also add that although i have little doubt that we'll revisit our wage structure in the next 1-2 years, i very much doubt that the kind of increase we can offer will be enough to compete with those above us in the 'wages league'. It will bring us closer, but anyone thinking that we'll suddenly be able to offer £200k a week to players, i feel will be sadly disappointed.

I remember reading that the new stadium will be worth about an extra £30 million in gate receipts a year. That's probably worth an extra £20k a week across the squad. Sure, we'd pay our best more, but that then starts wage inflation and the squad players will want a piece of the action. So basically, £30k a week for our best and a £10k rise for everyone else is probably nearer the mark if those gate receipt figures are correct.

Obviously increased income from sponsorship and the money from the NFL might raise that figure somewhat too.

Long story short, i don't think the new stadium is going to make us Man City or Real Madrid in the wages stakes.

Levy hater economics:

tenor.gif

Agreed. However, football is a bubble that doesn't really intersect with the real world.

I would also add that although i have little doubt that we'll revisit our wage structure in the next 1-2 years, i very much doubt that the kind of increase we can offer will be enough to compete with those above us in the 'wages league'. It will bring us closer, but anyone thinking that we'll suddenly be able to offer £200k a week to players, i feel will be sadly disappointed.

I remember reading that the new stadium will be worth about an extra £30 million in gate receipts a year. That's probably worth an extra £20k a week across the squad. Sure, we'd pay our best more, but that then starts wage inflation and the squad players will want a piece of the action. So basically, £30k a week for our best and a £10k rise for everyone else is probably nearer the mark if those gate receipt figures are correct.

Obviously increased income from sponsorship and the money from the NFL might raise that figure somewhat too.

Long story short, i don't think the new stadium is going to make us Man City or Real Madrid in the wages stakes.
This. People who expect ridiculous wage increases are out on a wild bikeride somewhere. We'll advance our salary structure to take us onto the level of Liverpool and Woolwich.

We'll improve our wages, but not by silly numbers

I imagine as our revenue increases, wages will follow, it has in the past no reason to assume it wont in the future. What's clear is the long-term stability of the club wont be put at risk by player demands. If they want more money and it's on the table at another club then not a lot we can do. It will be a house of cards once we cave for one.

I believe the in the next ten years several clubs who are either in the top flight now, or recently will disappear into obscurity. Broadcast is near saturation and as the World's economies shrink people wont want to fork out the money for sport, subscription numbers will drop and so will the money bid for the games. Some clubs will be so reliant on these revenue streams they will be fucked not being able to cover their running costs.

or

Players will be earning £1m a week

It's definitely approaching the limit but I reckon there are one or two mega deals left broadcast-wise seen as it is rumoured Amazon fancy having a crack at getting the rights next time.

Eventually though the bubble will burst when people stop wanting to pay the subscription fees that become more about paying for football than tv shows. Anyone tech-savvy can get to watch pretty much anything they fancy for free and it's only going to get easier...

It's definitely approaching the limit but I reckon there are one or two mega deals left broadcast-wise seen as it is rumoured Amazon fancy having a crack at getting the rights next time.

Eventually though the bubble will burst when people stop wanting to pay the subscription fees that become more about paying for football than tv shows. Anyone tech-savvy can get to watch pretty much anything they fancy for free and it's only going to get easier...

This.

Sky have seen it coming this year with their changes to sport subscription. i.e. not forcing people to take the ridiculous top level package if all they want to watch is one particular sport.

Still, they could make it a pound a month and i wouldn't give that crook Murdoch a fucking penny.

(probably would if it was HD)

I don't sympathize with any of them.
Pay him what he's worth? Relatively speaking you say?

Ok, let's see.......kicking a ball around for 90 minutes a week.

Relatively speaking, he's lucky to get a tenner a week for that

It's their trade; this is another tiresome 'footballers are overpaid' rant that really does need to be addressed.

Do soldiers or doctors deserve more? No. They chose those careers, knowing the circa salary and workload. They could have pursued a career 'kicking a ball about for 90 minutes'....

The reality is it's a lot easier to become a doctor or a soldier than a Tottenham footballer, and the rewards are there for those capable enough to do so.

Public Sector workers seemingly resent the rest of the world, but if they're really dismayed with the salaries and (perceived lack of) perks affiliated with their chosen careers, they're free to seek private/alternate employment.

A Premier League footballer on average probably contributes more in tax and NI deductions per week than a nurse or primary teacher does in 10 years; these fellas are a huge economic asset to the country.

It's their trade; this is another tiresome 'footballers are overpaid' rant that really does need to be addressed.

Do soldiers or doctors deserve more? No. They chose those careers, knowing the circa salary and workload. They could have pursued a career 'kicking a ball about for 90 minutes'....

The reality is it's a lot easier to become a doctor or a soldier than a Tottenham footballer, and the rewards are there for those capable enough to do so.

Public Sector workers seemingly resent the rest of the world, but if they're really dismayed with the salaries and (perceived lack of) perks affiliated with their chosen careers, they're free to seek private/alternate employment.

A Premier League footballer on average probably contributes more in tax and NI deductions per week than a nurse or primary teacher does in 10 years; these fellas are a huge economic asset to the country.

Wrap it up in all the Lillywhite cotton you like, anyone who thinks playing football is not rewarded enough with a 75k a week wage is being greedy.
If Ronaldo and Messi were earning 20k a week, Im pretty sure Toby would be enjoying the highlife on 8k a week.

Its greedy, no matter what spin you put on it. He's paid a kings ransom to do, in the cold light of things, fuck all.

Im not slagging off Toby, I think people need to just look at it for what it is. Greed is normal.....Im greedy, and Im sure you are too. Its human nature, it happens, it can be justified and excused. But its still greed.

Last edited:
Im not slagging off Toby, I think people need to just look at it for what it is. Greed is normal.....Im greedy, and Im sure you are too. Its human nature, it happens, it can be justified and excused. But its still greed.
And mark my words, greed will save Teldar Paper, as well as that other malfunctioning organization, the United States of America!

Sorry... what just happened?

The shit that gets talked around this place during a break....can we appeal to have matches never stop?

For real though - footballers make ridiculous wages, yep. But Kim Kardashian makes more, and all she's ever done to earn it was get fucked. Literally, not Bale/Rose/Lamela fucked.

Second point, they do earn it as their efforts bilk us all of mass quantities of money. So if you've really a problem with what players earn the solution, as always, is simple - vote with your wallet and fuck off to your local club.

Third point, I don't think anyone has suggested (unless I missed it) that the club bust the wage structure and give Toby a PSG wage. He's certainly earned parity with our best earners and that should be on offer, then it's up to him to determine if that's satisfactory. In general the gist that I've gotten is it's unfair to slate Toby for wanting a salary commiserate with his peers in the upper echelon of the game.

Personally, I hope he stays but I won't cunt him off for leaving if he chooses. Mostly I'm just glad the matches are back.

Serious question: Would you take any other CB's in the league over Toby and Jan?
For me, I don't think I would. I legit think they are the best individual CBs in the league right now, and absolutely legendary as a pairing.
So, I guess I'm saying, I hope we find a way to get them both a solid raise and lock them in to new contracts.

I don't think £/week makes any odds. I can't see how money could motivate anyone on that kind of money

I think by not getting paid the same as others in the team, he probably feels undervalued. Thinks we don't realise how important he is. We can sort that out by making him one of our best paid players.

I am sure there are some exceptions, but there can't be many and we don't want them at Spurs. Anyone who is motivated by money rather than glory can fuck off

Wrap it up in all the Lillywhite cotton you like, anyone who thinks playing football is not rewarded enough with a 75k a week wage is being greedy.
If Ronaldo and Messi were earning 20k a week, Im pretty sure Toby would be enjoying the highlife on 8k a week.

Its greedy, no matter what spin you put on it. He's paid a kings ransom to do, in the cold light of things, fuck all.

Posted in the other thread, we have the 4th highest average attendance in Europe this season. Only Bayern, Dortmund and Man United have higher gates.

You would think that with the new stadium next year, we would be able to offer our players something decent. Say 150k+

Back
Top Bottom