"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

True - but 3 out of the top 5 teams with the best away record in Europes big 5 leagues aren't top of their league.

Spurs are 3rd.
Bayern are 2nd.
Liverpool are 2nd.

PSG and Juve make up the rest of the top 5 - and both are way clear in front.
This still leaves us in a good place if with can maintain that record for next season. Having our own home again means theoretically we could maybe have more points than this season. It's not a given that it means we'd definitely would win more at NWHL next season than we have at Wembley but it certainly would give us a better chance imv.

I'm certainly hopeful that is the case.

I'd take top 3 and quarter finals of the Champions League - when you take into consideration we've gone 3/4s of the season without a home stadium, numerous injuries and no signings.

I don't think 2nd place can be ruled out though and I hope the players keep fighting.
My biggest fear is the players down tools now because they think the title is gone, I think United are a shoe-in for top 4 now and if Chelsea even so much as smell blood they would love nothing more than to knock us out of the top 4 and we have some tough fixtures coming up and could easily lose another 2-3 games.

Woolwich I am not concerned with because I don’t think they are good enough to get top 4 anyway.

Honestly man screw looking over the fixtures. It just makes it harder to take. Think we are guilty of looking up at the clouds and losing sight of what is right in front of us. Every time we have a chance to make an opening we throw it away.

Correct.

Huge chance dissolved away today.

Fcuked up my afternoon completely and brought reality to the fore.

All other matches this weekend are now insignificant.

Sh!t feeling.

My biggest fear is the players down tools now because they think the title is gone, I think United are a shoe-in for top 4 now and if Chelsea even so much as smell blood they would love nothing more than to knock us out of the top 4 and we have some tough fixtures coming up and could easily lose another 2-3 games.

Woolwich I am not concerned with because I don’t think they are good enough to get top 4 anyway.

Yeah - that is the only worry. Just like Liverpool last season when they downed tools to go all out in the Champions League for that one night in glory, which didn't come.

The next two games are so important, not to try and get back in the title race, but because Man Utd could quite easily win their next 3 games and go level on points with us if we fail to get something in both games and then it really is worrying times.

However, I do believe we're overthinking everything because of a disappointing loss to Burnley - we will be up for both games and we'll see much improvements across the board, I reckon.

I think we'll finish ATLEAST 3rd this season, quite comfortably too.

Yeah - that is the only worry. Just like Liverpool last season when they downed tools to go all out in the Champions League for that one night in glory, which didn't come.

The next two games are so important, not to try and get back in the title race, but because Man Utd could quite easily win their next 3 games and go level on points with us if we fail to get something in both games and then it really is worrying times.

However, I do believe we're overthinking everything because of a disappointing loss to Burnley - we will be up for both games and we'll see much improvements across the board, I reckon.

You’re probably right mate, I am guilty of overthinking these things after a loss which is why I normally avoid posting.

Let’s see how things go, nothing we can do about it anyway let’s face it, whatever will be will be.

COYS.

You’re probably right mate, I am guilty of overthinking these things after a loss which is why I normally avoid posting.

Let’s see how things go, nothing we can do about it anyway let’s face it, whatever will be will be.

COYS.

I'm just remembering when we were fighting for top four under Redknapp and we had just lost to Portsmouth in the FA Cup semi final - we had Chelsea and Woolwich both coming up within 7 days following that loss.

We won both and ended up finishing 4th after also going to the Etihad and beating City - nothings impossible. We could quite easily win our next two games and go on a run again.

I'm just remembering when we were fighting for top four under Redknapp and we had just lost to Portsmouth in the FA Cup semi final - we had Chelsea and Woolwich both coming up within 7 days following that loss.

We won both and ended up finishing 4th after also going to the Etihad and beating City - nothings impossible. We could quite easily win our next two games and go on a run again.

That’s what makes football so magical mate, you never really know what’s going to happen, it’s as much about luck as it is about skill at the highest level.

We could still win the league, I mean it’s highly unlikely and I would bet against it at this point but you can never say never in football until it’s completely impossible.

Let’s just hope we have CL football for our first season in the new stadium, I think that’s massively important for the future of this club (which is what we should be focused on now, the future of this club.)

Correct.

Huge chance dissolved away today.

Fcuked up my afternoon completely and brought reality to the fore.

All other matches this weekend are now insignificant.

Sh!t feeling.
All teams lose game's but this had that air of inevitable about it whenever they have a chance the club tends to buckle under the level of expectation it will never change, so nothing to get too upset about we are all used to it.

That’s what makes football so magical mate, you never really know what’s going to happen, it’s as much about luck as it is about skill at the highest level.

We could still win the league, I mean it’s highly unlikely and I would bet against it at this point but you can never say never in football until it’s completely impossible.

Let’s just hope we have CL football for our first season in the new stadium, I think that’s massively important for the future of this club (which is what we should be focused on now, the future of this club.)

We are 5 points off City (same games played) and they still have to play us and go to Old Trafford and play Man Utd.

That's a 6 point swing if we go on a run and beat them.

Obviously the league now relies on us getting a handful of luck from other teams, seeing rivals drop points more than they have all season and going to Anfield, Stamford Bridge and the Etihad and winning but we've seen stranger things.

All teams lose game's but this had that air of inevitable about it whenever they have a chance the club tends to buckle under the level of expectation it will never change, so nothing to get too upset about we are all used to it.

I don’t think it’s the club that buckles, I think it’s a few players that truly deep down inside don’t believe they are capable of greatness or winning a trophy and that mental weakness causes us to falter in these key games when we really could make a massive leap forward towards a trophy.

We need a team and a bench full of players that really believe inside they can win a trophy and don’t just SAY they think they can for a sound bite.

We also need a little bit of luck along the way as well.

And not to have shit refs like Mike Dean who seems to officiate us to a loss every single time he is in charge.

I don’t think it’s the club that buckles, I think it’s a few players that truly deep down inside don’t believe they are capable of greatness or winning a trophy and that mental weakness causes us to falter in these key games when we really could make a massive leap forward towards a trophy.

We need a team and a bench full of players that really believe inside they can win a trophy and don’t just SAY they think they can for a sound bite.

And not to have shit refs like Mike Dean who seems to officiate us to a loss every single time he is in charge.
That is an interesting point. I'm not saying it is right but if you have been a player at this club for many many years like Danny Rose for example. I wonder after all those years of never achieving anything makes him wonder if it's ever going to happen and put doubt in to his mind that we'll ever be good enough to get over the line.

I used Rose as an example for the duration he has been with us. Not saying it is his mentality.

I think it could be very conceivable to have an effect in this way.

It's been a problem for a very long time now that for most of us we accept it as par for the course.

Just curious mate, did something go wrong during the registration process?

Asking because of your username.

Hmmm...

Has to start with the manager. I think Pochettino would argue that he has instilled it. Then it is down to 4 or 5 players who need to carry that onto the pitch.

Whatever it is or isn"t that was not brought onto the pitch today and I'm fcuking gutted.

It's been a problem for a very long time now that for most of us we accept it as par for the course.

That’s a real problem because I imagine that some of the players feel that way as well and that’s probably what’s holding us back from greatness.

I have supported spurs over 27 years (I am 34 now) and that’s how I have felt for the longest time, however, I have made a concerted effort to believe more in recent years and I think the team and manager have given me plenty of reasons to believe we are good enough to win titles.

I just think a few of the players really lack that same belief and that’s what might be holding us back.

Back
Top Bottom