"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That’s a real problem because I imagine that some of the players feel that way as well and that’s probably what’s holding us back from greatness.

I have supported spurs over 27 years (I am 34 now) and that’s how I have felt for the longest time, however, I have made a concerted effort to believe more in recent years and I think the team and manager have given me plenty of reasons to believe we are good enough to win titles.

I just think a few of the players really lack that same belief and that’s what might be holding us back.
Well obviously I have supported the club for a long time also and yes I must admit that the last few years have been good I still don't believe the club will win anything other than praise for running a tight ship.

That is an interesting point. I'm not saying it is right but if you have been a player at this club for many many years like Danny Rose for example. I wonder after all those years of never achieving anything makes him wonder if it's ever going to happen and put doubt in to his mind that we'll ever be good enough to get over the line.

I used Rose as an example for the duration he has been with us. Not saying it is his mentality.

I think it could be very conceivable to have an effect in this way.

Well wasn’t it a while ago (during the Leicester season) that Rose and Lamela were having lunch and Lamela said he believes we can win the league and Rose was arguing with him that he doesn’t think we can?

Maybe you have a point, players that have been here so long and witnessed us not winning things or always coming close might have built a mentality amongst themselves that we may never achieve it.

Not sure what the answer to that is though, it’s a difficult problem (if it is indeed a problem.)

Well obviously I have supported the club for a long time also and yes I must admit that the last few years have been good I still don't believe the club will win anything other than praise for running a tight ship.

My hope has been once we move into the new stadium it will all change and we will start winning titles all the time, I think many other supporters feel that way as well.

I like to think positive about our future even though on days like this it’s difficult.

Well wasn’t it a while ago (during the Leicester season) that Rose and Lamela were having lunch and Lamela said he believes we can win the league and Rose was arguing with him that he doesn’t think we can?

Maybe you have a point, players that have been here so long and witnessed us not winning things or always coming close might have built a mentality amongst themselves that we may never achieve it.

Not sure what the answer to that is though, it’s a difficult problem (if it is indeed a problem.)

Rose was talking about top four after beating City saying he thinks we've done it and Lamela basically questioned him and said top four? We can win the league!

For so long, the club has been "We need top four, we need top four" - in fact we chased that for a decade from Jol through to Pochettino.

Suddenly over the last few years we're thrust into more than that because we've been performing too well to be in a top four battle but not QUITE good enough to be performing on top of the table.

We just need to keep on improving as well as adding players to keep the squad fresh.

Who was the gobshite commentator on sky. Was it Martin Tyler? The pleasure he took from announcing it as "the day tottenhams title challenge died" was pathetic. Don't get me wrong I don't think we will do it but if utd win tomorrow we are still only 5 off with plenty of twists and turns no doubt still to go. Wanker.

This no draws thing can be spun as a positive and negative but I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

Positive:
- we have shown the fortitude to fight to the end and turn one point into three (Fulham, Watford, Newcastle) and we have seen out games we were hanging onto the lead (Wolves, Palace, Newcastle away)

Negative:
- we have lost seven games with 11 to go (more than all of 2015/16, 16/17 and as many as last season). If turning a few games late on from draws to wins is an increased sign of mentality the flipside can be argued that the number of losses is a decreased sign of mentality.

- Our performance level has declined quite a bit that after 7 losses in 27 games we still can name other games we were poor in.

The very worst thing today. The worst thing was that in the second half and having softened Burnley we NEVER looked like winning.

This was Burnley and with all respect to them that can't happen for the team chasing the leaders.

Harsh reality stinks.

We lack whatever it is to be champions.

In context great season so far but today's loss really does threaten that analysis.

Some comcern has arrived from nowhere.

I'm not being funny but look what we are up against. A Liverpool team that has lost once in the League all season, 1 loss in 26 matches and a Man City team many, if not most are touting as favourites for the Champions League.

Winning the League these days is so much harder than it was when Blackburn won it or when Newcastle gave it a go. All we need to worry about as a club is year on year staying close, improving be it personnel, mindset, maturity levels being reached etc and believe that one time it will come.

We've had an erratic season, great and not so good but until we get into the new stadium it's really difficult to keep pace and kick on. 4 defeats at Wembley this year, 30,000-45,000 crowds in a 90,000 definitely impacts performance.

For us to be a consistent Champions League in itself is a great achievement. As a club, until finances pick up we need to be patient, keep grinding decent seasons out and go from there. One of the things the clubs trying to do at the moment as well as win things is to grow its brand. We are in such a unique position where it's not about slapping money down on world record signings like Liverpool have the capacity to do. We are fighting against huge circumstances, we are a new big player and we've got to let the club mature to stay there long term, it's the only sustainable way

This no draws thing can be spun as a positive and negative but I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

Positive:
- we have shown the fortitude to fight to the end and turn one point into three (Fulham, Watford, Newcastle) and we have seen out games we were hanging onto the lead (Wolves, Palace, Newcastle away)

Negative:
- we have lost seven games with 11 to go (more than all of 2015/16, 16/17 and as many as last season). If turning a few games late on from draws to wins is an increased sign of mentality the flipside can be argued that the number of losses is a decreased sign of mentality.

- Our performance level has declined quite a bit that after 7 losses in 27 games we still can name other games we were poor in.

Correct.

And I have said this before.

I would rather a point or 2 less but with a defeat ratio that was a lot better.

7 defeats ain't a great stat of obduracy.

I think we miss luck more than anything.

I think you need an INCREDIBLE amount of luck to win any league, unless of course you can spend unlimited funds to create a super team to steam roll everyone,

I don't particularly think our team is good enough across the whole board but I can't really blame that considering Leicester won the league with the likes of Drinkwater, Morgan, Simpson etc. - and our squad is definitely better than theirs.

But continuous improvement year on year is something that tells me we are getting to where we need to be and we'll get there. Marathon and not a sprint and all that.

There are bound to be bumps in the road. We weren't good enough today but there have been games (and comments on this very board) where people have also said Liverpool look rubbish when they're dropping points. It happens.

Most important thing is we bounce back and get 6 points from Chelsea and Woolwich, almost certainly cementing our place in the top four and we go from there.

Who was the gobshite commentator on sky. Was it Martin Tyler? The pleasure he took from announcing it as "the day tottenhams title challenge died" was pathetic. Don't get me wrong I don't think we will do it but if utd win tomorrow we are still only 5 off with plenty of twists and turns no doubt still to go. Wanker.
Nothing to get angry about because we was never in a title challenge top four is and was the club's ceiling of ambition right now.

Nothing to get angry about because we was never in a title challenge top four is and was the club's ceiling of ambition right now.

We could have been two points behind with 11 games left if we had got the result we had all hoped for today. To say we were never in a title challenging belittles the team you support.

3rd, 2nd & 3rd in successive seasons. We definitely had a chance albeit one as dark horses

I'm not sure either. I think it could certainly be a factor. The amount of times we have reached this point, close to doing something and then failing is not a coincidence imo.

I said in the match thread I didn't believe today was a mentality issue and was just down to be playing poorly. Now I have had time to consider it I now believe that has to be a reason. Today with our strongest squad in months with a week to prepare for the game there should be no excuse. We should have been ready and we weren't again. Poch said how vital this game was and i'm sure he impressed upon the team that exact same message.

This team we have should be beating Burnley fairly comfortably but something was missing. Belief.

Of course we were. I hate posts like this of course we were in it. We were outsiders yes but a different result today in a game that fair enough they deserved to win stuck us 2 points behind the ones we are chasing.

Sorry mate but these kind of posts really irate me, too many don't or haven't believed in our club, it's time we start changing our attitude as it's the only way we can continue progressing.

It's a shame but to say we were never in it I honestly don't agree with

I explained why I do not think we were in the race prior to the Burnley game. Of course we could've snatched it, but our points haul lately has been way better than our performances. It wasn't sustainable. City are better, it was never likely that we would catch them.

We could have been two points behind with 11 games left if we had got the result we had all hoped for today. To say we were never in a title challenging belittles the team you support.

3rd, 2nd & 3rd in successive seasons. We definitely had a chance albeit one as dark horses
Dude it's wishful thinking . It was dream but was never going to happen . We are good but not good enough. City, Liverpool are better and that's why we won't win it. Very weak in certain areas and never addressed unlike those Northern dirtbags.
l,m on some Yukon Jack to get over that rattlesnake shit show .
Don't over hype as your tree will always come down brother.

Back
Top Bottom