"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We were a correct gameweek away from having the league in our hands - if that's not "in a title race" then I don't know what is.

Sure, we would still have been rank outsiders due to our fixture list but that doesn't mean we weren't in the race. City seem to have got out of their slump now though so if they do drop points, it's likely we STILL need to win every remaining fixture to even have a chance again.

It was a long shot, purely because we were chasing 2 teams instead of just 1. If we got a positive result today would all of these posters saying we were never in it have been saying the same thing or keeping shtum?

Even though it's an even bigger long shot now we are still in it. I know that today's result makes it such a big ask but we need to think that way. If we don't and City & Liverpool drop points we'll be kicking ourselves. Games at this time of the season really change the mentality of it all there's every chance there'll be twists and turns. We have to keep the positive mindset, got to keep chasing

Exactly. You have to believe you're in it to get that little feeling of hunger and desire to get it over the line. We've been hovering around the 2nd & 3rd places for a few years now, it really grates me that our own fans are so nonchalant about that and write us off. Got to be supporting the boys for a colossal effort over the past few years. As a club we all have to start believing that we are pushing towards our rightful place and that it hasn't all been a fluke.

We currently sit 5 points off top with no home advantage to fall back on. Of course this team has what it takes and as a fan base we have to start believing that if we want the mentality of the club to change and stay there

I think there is a difference between supporting the club, no matter what, and feeling confident that the team can get across the line. On the latter, surely it has to be the manager and the players that have got to produce the results and make the fans believe, and not the other way around. They simply haven't done so, at least not yet.

It was a long shot, purely because we were chasing 2 teams instead of just 1. If we got a positive result today would all of these posters saying we were never in it have been saying the same thing or keeping shtum?

Even though it's an even bigger long shot now we are still in it. I know that today's result makes it such a big ask but we need to think that way. If we don't and City & Liverpool drop points we'll be kicking ourselves. Games at this time of the season really change the mentality of it all there's every chance there'll be twists and turns. We have to keep the positive mindset, got to keep chasing

We are not in it after today.

On that sh!tfest of a showing (to describe it as a performance would be an insult) we have to worry about the top 4.

I really thought we were past the kind of rubbish we produced today.

So so disappointing and disappointed. Not a good feeling.

I think there is a difference between supporting the club, no matter what, and feeling confident that the team can get across the line. On the latter, surely it has to be the manager and the players that have got to produce the results and make the fans believe, and not the other way around. They simply haven't done so, at least not yet.

I do think some fans have been appalling in their support for the boys though. Energy is such an important thing and when it comes down to these moments and the flippant attitude of a lot of people I've seen on Twitter etc that support our club has been nothing short of disgraceful.

Yes we all want to win the title but to start taking the piss out of the club, the fans etc when it doesn't happen do people honestly believe that doesn't have an affect on the players?

We've had a great season with so many things to contend with. I think it's time fans showed a little more gratitude for how we are progressing even if we are coming up a little short. We have a wage bill closer to Leicester & Everton than the rest of the top 6, I definitely think people should have more pride in where we are at than they seem to.

Saying that it could be an age thing. I remember watching Tottenham teams with the likes of Kevin Scott, Andy Turner etc so maybe I just appreciate where we are at a little more than others who didn't go through those years early on supporting the club etc

I do think some fans have been appalling in their support for the boys though. Energy is such an important thing and when it comes down to these moments and the flippant attitude of a lot of people I've seen on Twitter etc that support our club has been nothing short of disgraceful.

Yes we all want to win the title but to start taking the piss out of the club, the fans etc when it doesn't happen do people honestly believe that doesn't have an affect on the players?

We've had a great season with so many things to contend with. I think it's time fans showed a little more gratitude for how we are progressing even if we are coming up a little short. We have a wage bill closer to Leicester & Everton than the rest of the top 6, I definitely think people should have more pride in where we are at than they seem to.

Saying that it could be an age thing. I remember watching Tottenham teams with the likes of Kevin Scott, Andy Turner etc so maybe I just appreciate where we are at a little more than others who didn't go through those years early on supporting the club etc

There are fans who berate the team for falling behind in the title race, but that they get upset is of their own making. We are not entitled to top 4, to any trophy or to the Champions League, we have to earn it and when you look at the investment we've poured into the squad compared to the teams around us, I think we've done well to find ourselves where we are. Personally, I'm more concerned about things going further pear-shaped and us even dropping out of the top 4 (maybe that's the 38 years of following Spurs in me), which I'd felt to be an excellent achievement at the start of the season and still think so now. I know this might attract comments from the crowd who say this is a small club mentality, but so be it.

Having said all that, I'm fucking annoyed we lost to those inbred northern bastards.

I think we lack that something in this team to get over the final hurdle, on our day I think we can beat anybody but we just seem to lack the belief that we are truly good enough to win a trophy as a unit, I think Poch believes it and I think the fans believe it to a certain extent but I think some of the players don’t and in order to get over the final hurdle we are going to need a team full of players that truly believe we are capable.

I don’t think that means we are “bottlers” or that we have a “weak mentality” but I just think it means we maybe need a few players in this team that know how to really win when it truly matters and players that really believe they are good enough.

I feel like sometimes we are too nice on the pitch as well, I wish Poch would come out and utterly roast the ref for example because honestly Mike Dean is utterly shit and refs aren’t held accountable for their actions enough in this league, which has the worst officiating I have seen quite frankly.

Ultimately we still have a lot of learning and growing to do as a football club before we win a major trophy.

That’s why I only look at these things with 3 games left, if within 3 points then we have a huge chance, until then do our best and keep the Chavs at bay next

I think we lack that something in this team to get over the final hurdle, on our day I think we can beat anybody but we just seem to lack the belief that we are truly good enough to win a trophy as a unit, I think Poch believes it and I think the fans believe it to a certain extent but I think some of the players don’t and in order to get over the final hurdle we are going to need a team full of players that truly believe we are capable.

I don’t think that means we are “bottlers” or that we have a “weak mentality” but I just think it means we maybe need a few players in this team that know how to really win when it truly matters and players that really believe they are good enough.

I feel like sometimes we are too nice on the pitch as well, I wish Poch would come out and utterly roast the ref for example because honestly Mike Dean is utterly shit and refs aren’t held accountable for their actions enough in this league, which has the worst officiating I have seen quite frankly.

Ultimately we still have a lot of learning and growing to do as a football club before we win a major trophy.
We lack a proper old school skipper. a sergeant major type player.
If we had one, it would be a more consistent team IMHO

We lack a proper old school skipper. a sergeant major type player.
If we had one, it would be a more consistent team IMHO

I have been thinking this lately, we have a team full of positive players that get along together but we don’t really have that one player who will, on days like today, give the rest a kick up the arse

Son is probably the biggest influence in the dressing room imo because of his positive attitude and belief, I think the problem is a few players in this team don’t really believe, deep down inside, that we are good enough to win a trophy.

And unless they ALL believe then we will always struggle to win one.

You look back at that Fergie United team with scholes, Beckham etc, some of the players in that side were average but they ALL believed they were good enough to win and they had powerful voices on the pitch.

We need that, I think that’s what we lack.

I still genuinely believe Liverpool are dropping 5 points in the next 8 days though.

They'll lose tomorrow, beat Watford in the week and draw away at Everton.

It's whether or not we can beat Chelsea and Woolwich and make up that ground. Man City however couldn't have had easier fixtures in the midst of it all with West Ham coming up in the week and then Bournemouth.

I still genuinely believe Liverpool are dropping 5 points in the next 8 days though.

It's whether or not we can beat Chelsea and Woolwich and make up that ground. Man City however couldn't have had easier fixtures in the midst of it all with West Ham coming up in the week and then Bournemouth.

I love your positivity but we are fcuked as far as the league is concerned.

Was a long shot, mostly because City are playing so well but today showed us up completely as not being good enoigh.

The worst thing today was that it was not about injuries which begs questions to be asked of the manager and players.

Last edited:
Most bizarre thing for me is the fact we have the best away record in Europe. Any team who can achieve that should be top of their league.

True - but 3 out of the top 5 teams with the best away record in Europes big 5 leagues aren't top of their league.

Spurs are 3rd.
Bayern are 2nd.
Liverpool are 2nd.

PSG and Juve make up the rest of the top 5 - and both are way clear in front.

Honestly man screw looking over the fixtures. It just makes it harder to take. Think we are guilty of looking up at the clouds and losing sight of what is right in front of us. Every time we have a chance to make an opening we throw it away.

City will win the league, but it would be amazing to finish second, but I think we will finish third, which is a pretty good achievement given the circumstances. Top four and the quarter finals of the CL was what I was hoping for this season, maybe a cup.

City will win the league, but it would be amazing to finish second, but I think we will finish third, which is a pretty good achievement given the circumstances. Top four and the quarter finals of the CL was what I was hoping for this season, maybe a cup.

I'd take top 3 and quarter finals of the Champions League - when you take into consideration we've gone 3/4s of the season without a home stadium, numerous injuries and no signings.

I don't think 2nd place can be ruled out though and I hope the players keep fighting.

PLUS - this will be continuous improvement on the previous year when you take into consideration we are on course to break our points tally.

I mean the year on year improvement we are making (PPG wise) means we are likely to win something sooner rather than later. I mean statistically, next season is supposed to be our REAL title challenge.

Back
Top Bottom