Time to React – StubHub Statement

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Slightly worrying that stub hub sponsor a fuck off stadium in the US though.
I suspect there might be a cultural difference. Something about how TFC talked about how scandalous it is that a season ticket is now considered a commodity struck me in a way that is very much at odds with free-market USA.

When I lived in Chicago, my roommates would routinely try to get tickets to popular events with the SOLE intention of then flipping the tickets on craigslist. They were thrilled to get certain tickets not because they wanted to attend, but because they saw the potential resale value. The secondary ticket market has existed for so long in the US that it's simply second nature to consider tickets as anything other than a straight commodity. People worry about buying counterfeit tickets, not about paying above face value.

Now it looks like the UK is learning some of the same neoliberal lessons. As always, I blame Thatcher, but ymmv.

You don't really appreciate how bad this is until you have a look on there. It's fucking disgusting the prices of some of those tickets for the West Ham game. I bought mine early doors as part of a Bronze Member package luckily.

Just went on to look at tickets in the Paxton, 23 corner going for 92 quid!!!!

I wonder who is buying these tickets.

We have this thing about ripping off fellow Spurs fans but I have lost track of the amount of arguments I have seen (and had) in the last few years between people who are "fellow Spurs fans" at games. They may wear the same colours but we have some proper cunt fans.

So I think I have reached a level of acceptance now with Stubhub, gone through the other 4 stages and arrived at a point where I just think whoever is buying these £250 tickets is either mad or stupid.

Spoke to a guy at football tonight. Sold his ticket face on stubhub - at a loss to him. Mate sits near and said nobody sat there. Go figure............................

Would have been better selling over the odds to someone mad/stupid who would go to the game, rather than some tout who snapped it up is my honest opinion on that one.

I was on the Tube on the way to 7S on Saturday. Opposite me was a middle-aged American couple, both wearing Steelers shirts.

When I got off the train, they followed me out and the bloke asked me the way to the stadium, how far the walk was and 'is it safe?'

I asked his story. They were over for the week and were going to the Steelers game on Sunday and fancied taking in a British sports match. They went on StubHub and stumbled upon Spurs-Chelsea. Their first ever game.

They had no idea where there seats were going to be, as they were going to pick them up from the ticket office.

They were sport tourists. Had no passion for Spurs and only found the game by chance. Didn't even follow football.

And they paid? £250 for the pair.

I was on the Tube on the way to 7S on Saturday. Opposite me was a middle-aged American couple, both wearing Steelers shirts.

When I got off the train, they followed me out and the bloke asked me the way to the stadium, how far the walk was and 'is it safe?'

I asked his story. They were over for the week and were going to the Steelers game on Sunday and fancied taking in a British sports match. They went on StubHub and stumbled upon Spurs-Chelsea. Their first ever game.

They had no idea where there seats were going to be, as they were going to pick them up from the ticket office.

They were sport tourists. Had no passion for Spurs and only found the game by chance. Didn't even follow football.

I'm just waiting to hear someone ask me the way to the Soccer Center.........

Interesting parallel - Ricky Gervais on the secondary ticket market for his David Brent tour.

http://www.nme.com/news/various-art...facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=brent

Ricky Gervais furious over 'disgusting' secondary ticketing prices for David Brent Tour
Viagogo respond to the comedian's Twitter comments.
RickyGervaisGrabJulieShawTwitter021013.jpg
Responding to one fan who tweeted the comedian with a still from a third party seller on a secondary ticketing site advertising three tickets for £3,000, plus a £450 booking fee, £5.95 handling fee and £90 VAT, Gervais replied, writing: "Fucking disgusting. Please no one buy them."

Responding Gervais' comments, Britain's biggest secondary ticketing site Viagogo told NME sellers on the site listing at extortionate prices were unlikely to sell the tickets.

A spokesperson said: "Ticket prices are set by the seller, not by Viagogo. There will always be a few special events, like David Brent & Foregone Conclusion, where supply is short and prices rise but those listing tickets at extortionate levels are unlikely to sell them. The most important thing is to make sure every ticket is guaranteed, which is why people use Viagogo."

Thing is I don't really see the problem with 'sport tourists' in the ground so long as they are the minority. Why shouldn't they be able to come and experience a game at WHL. Would you not fancy a quick trip to watch NBA or NFL etc. in the states. I don't even know the bloody rules of American football or particularly enjoy watching it but I went to a match in Tampa because it's an American tradition I was interested in.

This is aside from the Stubhub argument obviously but don't see why you've got such a bugbear about the american people you came across

Thing is I don't really see the problem with 'sport tourists' in the ground so long as they are the minority. Why shouldn't they be able to come and experience a game at WHL. Would you not fancy a quick trip to watch NBA or NFL etc. in the states. I don't even know the bloody rules of American football or particularly enjoy watching it but I went to a match in Tampa because it's an American tradition I was interested in.

This is aside from the Stubhub argument obviously but don't see why you've got such a bugbear about the american people you came across
You miss the point.

It's not the fact they are American sports tourists. It's the fact that they plumped for a game only because they saw it on StubHub and paid over-inflated prices for the privilege.

Those tickets could have been sold through the club on Ticket Exchange, to proper fans who actually wanted to be there and for a fair price.

Interesting parallel - Ricky Gervais on the secondary ticket market for his David Brent tour.

http://www.nme.com/news/various-art...facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=brent
I tried desperately to get tickets for this - had no chance. They're being sold as 'paperless' tickets where rather than being issued a physical ticket you have to show photo ID and the credit card used for purchase to get in, proving that you've not sold the tickets on, so I'm not entirely sure how this would work...

Quite simply not in place of a Spurs fan, and not if it pushes prices up. We're a football club not a fucking tourist trap.

Back
Top Bottom