Time to React – StubHub Statement

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Those of you who’ve been with The Fighting Cock from the beginning will automatically know our position on the StubHub deal with Tottenham Hotspur. We won’t bore you by going over all that again. We know it’s wrong. Most of you know it’s wrong. We also know that alone we can’t force change, no matter how much we talk about it on the podcast or write about it in these pages. We have formed a partnership with some of the […]

Continue reading...

Sign the petition http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...ficial-end-the-partnership-with-stubhub#share

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely behind this, although I feel its unrealistic to expect the club to sever all ties to stubhub, with whom they have only recently signed a presumably lucrative contract. A more realistic stance might be for them to completely change the terms of the current deal to be more acceptable?

Completely behind this, although I feel its unrealistic to expect the club to sever all ties to stubhub, with whom they have only recently signed a presumably lucrative contract. A more realistic stance might be for them to completely change the terms of the current deal to be more acceptable?

I think using the term "at the earliest possible opportunity" implies that it could be until the current contract expires. I agree though, they aren't going to get out of the StubHub deal any time soon so perhaps focussing on changing the existing terms would be a better approach. I would imagine StubHub's lawyers would use every trick imaginable to weasel out of this and stick by their current terms for the duration of the contract though. Is it 2 years?

They should just limit the amount that you are allowed to mark your ticket up at. Say 25%.

Then the seller gets their money back, Stubhub get and Tottenham get their cut as well.

A £40 ticket going for £50 is not so bad. Not sure if this is feasible though.

Why would they change the terms of a contract? If the club even mentioned it Stubhub would be all over them in the usual legal contractual penalty clauses. Either the club pay back however many hundreds of thousands Stubhub have paid them or they're going to see it through.

Devils Advocate here:- Whilst the whole Stubhub thing doesn't sit comfortably with me morally remember there are hundreds of Spurs fans who have used the system in good faith with no issues, both selling and, presumably, buying?

Can only reiterate what's in the statement from The FC.

Personally nothing will change immediately, but hopefully the fans will be considered, hell even consulted, the next time the Club want to sign a contract similar to this.

There's a simple fact, forget all the other bullshit, arguments for and against, market value, supply/demand etc. The club, despite a few years ago running the 'Out the Tout' campaign, are now offering fans the opportunity to fleece each other out for tickets legally. They will take your ST off you for giving it to a mate for a game, but they will allow you to charge a premium to a stranger, who may not even be a Tottenham supporter. And they've done this without even considering the impact.

My greatest fear though is that it's used as an excuse to up ticket prices in the future. StubHub is proof to the club that people are willing to pay more. It doesn't matter how much someone has invested in the club previously, only what they can afford to pay now, it doesn't even matter if they follow Spurs, if they have the money then they can get in over someone who doesn't.

Eventually most of us will have to make a decision whether they can afford to continue to go to Tottenham. StubHub is another factor in a long line that is bring this day ever closer.

If that doesn't make you want to sign a petition so that the Club take our opinion seriously then I don't know what will.

It's already crossed that line for me personally, so I will support the petition.

But, and it affects a lot of people I know, until people stop treating their STs like a commodity it will never stop. A waiting list born from the fact people don't give up their STs.
People selling their tickets at "face value" on twitter. Work out what they pay per game. It's not face value for cat A games.
Levy knows this happens so has come up with a way to make his money.
And from a business point of view I can see why.
It has proved plenty of people are prepared to pay money I would not dream of paying.

I think the most important thing here is that the club failed to properly consult the fans, that's simply wrong and Spurs need to acknowledge they got it wrong.

Oh and, yup, signed.

Last edited:
Just signed it. It makes me sick that some season ticket holders are allowed to rip off fellow supporters, I would give anything to have a season ticket and would go to every match. I dread to think of the ludicrious prices that tickets to the Woolwich home match will be advertised for.

I am really dismayed that the club signed-up to this, considering the 'Out the Tout' campaign of a few years ago.

SnubHub is just legalised ticket-touting. #SnubHub

Last edited:
Completely behind this one.

Under the current StubHub agreement why would anybody give up a season ticket. Haven't totaled it up but surely you must be able to sell every ticket for circa face value and still profit after the fees given the season ticket discount?

The other way to stamp it out is to boycott the system, but can't see that being universal across the full range of fans as will always be someone who wants to capitalize financially and would not help out genuine fans who can't attend a game and need to shift on a ticket in good faith at a reasonable price.

Completely behind this one.

Under the current StubHub agreement why would anybody give up a season ticket. Haven't totaled it up but surely you must be able to sell every ticket for circa face value and still profit after the fees given the season ticket discount?

The other way to stamp it out is to boycott the system, but can't see that being universal across the full range of fans as will always be someone who wants to capitalize financially and would not help out genuine fans who can't attend a game and need to shift on a ticket in good faith at a reasonable price.
Is there a ST discount? I always assumed it worked out the same price.

As you say, boycotting only works if everyone adheres, but that is never going to happen. Of course, individuals can boycott it, thus lowering demand, but the tickets will always sell eventually.

If all this achieves is for the club to not renew this agreement in two years time, then that will be a success as far as I am concerned. The club were clearly wrong to agree to it in the first place, but it's what we have right now. Until the contract finishes personally the best thing I think fans can do is boycott the service.

What happens if you put your ticket on and it doesn't sell at the price you set? Is there any sort of bidding/nearest offer system? Or does it just not sell?

Back
Top Bottom