Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well said, this witch hunt v Bentaleb is terrible. I remember saying he reminds me of Jenas, and now he,s getting the Jenas treatment.

Some of the criticism for this performance certainly is harsh.

But witch-hunt?

Most of the time his performances since making his debut have been average-to-good, certainly nothing near being "excellent" or "exceptional" or something like that.

Truth is he has been just average, very fine from a youth player but nothing more than you would as a minimum expect from any Spurs starter. Sherwood have chosen him to play over more proven, good players. Fans are in their good right to expect the same minimum performance level as anyone Spurs starting XI player, and at least as you would expect from some of the faces warming the bench.

Against City he was below par, and I am suprised to see fans rate him amongst the top 2-3 Spurs player of the game. Seriously? He was visibly out of his depth. Which is quite understandble, naturally. But out of his depth he was.

Well said, this witch hunt v Bentaleb is terrible. I remember saying he reminds me of Jenas, and now he,s getting the Jenas treatment.
why do you think that is?
Take a punt at it..........

From a personal perspective, I'm not digging the guy out - he's just not contributing anything, other than a few short passes and being a traffic cone to go around. Eriksen was trying to make things happen, and Bentaleb was trying not to do anything wrong.

He's not shit, or bad or anything - other than what you see - my personal perspective has been that to be first on the teamsheet, which he seems to be, he should be putting in a bigger contribution, other than to not fuck up too much.

Kinda agree but not also.
Tim has to be applauded for blooding young talent. All teams fighting for top 4 spots struggle with this due to pressure for winning games.
But I feel that the spine and philosophy of the team has to be rock solid to really enable this and some savy used with regard to which opponents and when to do it.
With the loss of key players and a massive influx of new players that themselves are young and need to be blooded and given time.... I think Tim needs to give our signings which cost a lot of money priority first. Just to establish that spine which we need

Remarkable comment - I guess Ade was just pulling dance moves with his head then
I don't deny he was trying to head the ball. I imagine most players in the box were trying to head the ball. Doesn't mean shit in terms of the offside rule. Either you touch the ball or you prevent or distract an opponent from doing so. Otherwise you cannot be given offside.

What do you mean by justify his tactical short comings? Some of his mistakes cannot be justified, however every manager in the world make mistakes and Tim is learning and to me it appears he is learning quite fast.
I'm guessing he thinks his actions were justified, its just that other people might not agree with them - so in your mind, they are mistakes.
What you don't know are what factors he did consider, that you are unaware of.

Timmy clearly sees something in Bentaleb and he is the kind of players he wants in that position - obviously he's seen what he can do in the reserves. But in the reserves he wasn't facing world class players. The kid is 19. Sherwood hasn't got a five year contract and an understanding boss, so he really ought to be thinking more short term, at least when it comes to playing the top teams.

That aside though, Siggy was the surprise inclusion for me. Morale can't be that high for him. His ability at this level is under question. He isn't a classic wide player. It just made no sense to me.

All this aside, I wasn't surprised to lose to the best team in the league who are going to smash some records apart this year. Timmy is doing fine but the biggest test is how we respond over the next three or four games. Crucial.

I don't deny he was trying to head the ball. I imagine most players in the box were trying to head the ball. Doesn't mean shit in terms of the offside rule. Either you touch the ball or you prevent or distract an opponent from doing so. Otherwise you cannot be given offside.

This will be my last comment on the subject which is really very simple in its conceptual origin.

Ade was in an offside position when he attempted to header the ball - he was active in play - the goal was correctly disallowed. No different when two players are running for a ball - one from and offside and one from an onside position. As soon as the offside player (in this case Ade) goes for the ball (runs towards it, tries to header it, etc.) he is deemed active in the passage of play and offside given - again have a look at 'intent'. So in this case it would have been impossible not to be active since as you correctly pointed out - all players go for the ball from a cross like that. Correct decision, and the fact it was given against us (why always us, wahahahaha) should not make a difference when dealing with he rules - also have a look at Newcastle's goal few weeks ago.

This will be my last comment on the subject which is really very simple in its conceptual origin.

Ade was in an offside position when he attempted to header the ball - he was active in play - the goal was correctly disallowed. No different when two players are running for a ball - one from and offside and one from an onside position. As soon as the offside player (in this case Ade) goes for the ball (runs towards it, tries to header it, etc.) he is deemed active in the passage of play and offside given - again have a look at 'intent'. So in this case it would have been impossible not to be active since as you correctly pointed out - all players go for the ball from a cross like that. Correct decision, and the fact it was given against us (why always us, wahahahaha) should not make a difference when dealing with he rules - also have a look at Newcastle's goal few weeks ago.
The Lino said he called it for Dawson :adestare::dawsonmean:

The goal would've been correctly disallowed had it been given against Adebayor. It wasn't.

On this debate what will happen to Tim he is in the click now as a manager and prob end up at a championship club come the summer after the World Cup when he is odds on to be replaced no matter what happens

Sherwood: 'To be fair Daniel's always asking: 'Are you sure you don’t need to strengthen in this area? Can I help you in this or that area?'

: 'I'm saying (to Levy): 'Look, I’m confident in the players we've got and I don’t need any help to strengthen, thanks very much'.

:paulinhobored::paulinhobored::paulinhofacepalm::dempsey::vdvcry:

Not even subtle

1545167_10152161702009886_1218112966_n.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25968745

What annoyed me about Sherwood on Wednesday was his capitulation in the interview - saying City are the world's greatest team etc (which they aren't). Why didn't he make more of a fuss about the bad decisions? I was one of the people saying they made no difference overall, but he's the manager - it's his job to make a fucking case even if it's a stretch.

In fact I've changed my mind anyway, the two shocking decisions came at crucial times which made a huge difference to the outcome of the game

Back
Top Bottom