Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's still to early to tell, and even if he does do the business it doesn't mean that Levy didn't sack AVB without a plan and it also doesn't mean that his appointment was not a huge and somewhat irrational risk to take.

I don't think there is any "winning over" to be done because we simply have no clue how capable he is because he has no experience. It's perfectly reasonable to have concerns about the abilities of such a person. Even if he does have a good half season, it doesn't mean he can sustain it long term, whether with us or other clubs. For that reason I still think Levy will give him the chop in the summer (unless he wins a trophy).

But, while he brings in wins I'm happy to support him despite my reservations. :)

You're completely right bro. I don't play favourites, I back TS cos I want Spurs to succeed same way I backed AVB.

I guess "TS is winning my faith" would be more accurate, and even then as you say it is way to early to tell.

I thought he was tactically superb today. Absolutely excellent. The tendency of one of the two strikers to drop wide and deep (usually Ade on the left) allowed a 451 shape when defending and countering, giving Eriksen the freedom to play more centrally. This paid big time dividends when Eriksen had space on the right to whip a great cross for Ade and when he appeared in the middle to head home Lennon's cross. However, we still had the benefits of two recognisable forwards for goalscoring and creating for each other (how good is Soldado's crossing and through balling for a 'poacher'?).

We played a much deeper defensive line than under AVB and were prepared to allow United onto us and hit them on the counter. It played to the strengths of Dawson who was able to play his preferred game of last ditch shit, cross blocking and being able to play with the game in front of him rather than over his shoulder. Chiriches and Walker were also excellent. Towards the end of this game Dawson was the perfect defender to have, fearlessly defending their onslaught and naturally leading the defence. Lloris looked blundersome once or twice but some of his saves late on won us the game. It was the first time in recent memory we have played a top side and I have had minimal fear from their attacks from open play (until the final 20 minutes in which I was terrified).

The gameplan was to draw them forwards and sucker punch them on the counter. Drop the defensive line, have two midfielders preparing to drop deep to take the ball out of defence and then push forward to support the attack. Adebayor is the perfect player to pick the ball up in a wide position near the halfway line and run directly at the defence. Soldado's positioning stretched their defence - a single striker would've allowed Adebayor to have been closed down out of the counter. Lennon's pace, dribbling, crossing and defensive workrate were all invaluable in this gameplan and he was excellent. He terrorised Evra all afternoon. Eriksen and one of the two MCs were the able to join the attack shortly after. The only real downside to the way we played was a lack of defensive coverage for Rose. This showed as he was clearly the weak defensive link and Moyes shifted Januzaj to their right to exploit him with some success.

Well done Tim Sherwood, magnificent display, and you are starting to win me over. Props for the "we're a bit disappointed, they were there for the taking" comment.

Harry Kane MOM for this:

It's still to early to tell, and even if he does do the business it doesn't mean that Levy didn't sack AVB without a plan and it also doesn't mean that his appointment was not a huge and somewhat irrational risk to take.

I don't think there is any "winning over" to be done because we simply have no clue how capable he is because he has no experience. It's perfectly reasonable to have concerns about the abilities of such a person. Even if he does have a good half season, it doesn't mean he can sustain it long term, whether with us or other clubs. For that reason I still think Levy will give him the chop in the summer (unless he wins a trophy).

But, while he brings in wins I'm happy to support him despite my reservations. :)
Thats nice of you

Giving someone a fair chance is a crime is it? I'm only allowed to be a sycophant?

Pathetic.
The tone of your post was very stiff and arched.

"while his winning he has my support"

I am upset AVB hasn't worked out but we got a new gaffer now. I am sure tim is delighted he has your conditional support.

Last edited:
Perhaps AVB's system was just too complicated for the players: Inverted wingers, high defensive line, lone striker marked out of the game. They seem much more comfortable in a simpler 442 formation.

I do wonder , is he gambling and going for it because he has nothing to lose and wants to prove a point or is he just a stonecold killer with balls of steel ?

At least the games are like a good shot of adrenalin at the moment. Really enjoyed yesterday's game

The tone of your post was very stiff and arched.

"while his winning he has my support"

I am upset AVB hasn't worked out but we got a new gaffer now. I am sure tim is delighted he has your conditional support.
i am simply being a realist. Nothing more. If Timmy fucks up the first people at his throat will be the fickle types who are lauding him right now, not me. I have the capacity to support my club without getting carried away. Don't care who the manager is, I'll judge him by his qualifications and how he then goes on to perform. No more, no less.

Its not rocket science though, you only have to look at Saldado the last few games and see how much more involved he is with play compared to two months ago, where the ball was coming at him at head height with no players to suppot him within 30 yards and three defenders to beat......no wonder he looked miffed!!!

Perhaps AVB's system was just too complicated for the players: Inverted wingers, high defensive line, lone striker marked out of the game. They seem much more comfortable in a simpler 442 formation.
There is nothing wrong with AVB's tactic; it can be very effective for controlling a game and brings the whole team into play. Problem was Spurs has completely the wrong squad for this style of play.

Sherwood on the other hand has seen we have pace, talented passers, some decent muscle and of course the fact the Premiership is not an articulate league its 100 mph blood sweat and tears so if you can't beat em, join em

:sandroscream:

For those of you too young to remember Spurs in the 90's, Tim Sherwood is going to demonstrate to you exactly what it was like. Inept performances from a mixture of under-performing and over-rated players. Look, the weasel even using a 90's tactics guide he borrowed from Kenny Dalgleish!

Fuck Sake

cristian-eriksen-tottenham-manchester-united_3060197.jpg

There is nothing wrong with AVB's tactic; it can be very effective for controlling a game and brings the whole team into play. Problem was Spurs has completely the wrong squad for this style of play.

I still think AVBs biggest problem was getting the attack to work. Had he done so we would likely be top of the league (or near too) and looking unstoppable.

His system made a lot of sense in a lot of ways, we controlled games through territory and possession and always had more in the tank compared to the opposition who were chasing things the whole time. He fell down though because he set up a condensed area of play but no means to break through it.

I was saying 5 games into the season, more one touch passing, more movement/anticipation and we would be amazing. It simply never happened.

Sherwoods biggest change to date has been dropping that high up the pitch possession game, not rocket science - mentioned on here a number of times by a number of posters, allowing us room to move and play in.

Suddenly the collection of composed, strong footballers look more like we expect them to. Quick passing, better movement...

Ive always thought we have a fantastic collection of players. Im interested to see where it goes next, once Sherwood actually starts to put his stamp on it.

I do wonder , is he gambling and going for it because he has nothing to lose and wants to prove a point or is he just a stonecold killer with balls of steel ?

At least the games are like a good shot of adrenalin at the moment. Really enjoyed yesterday's game
He is rolling the dice with some qualification!!

Back
Top Bottom