Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The only nagging doubt I still have is that so far it's been near on impossible for other teams to set up against us......until yesterday Sherwood's team selections have had quite a few surprises

Sooner or later he'll surely settle on 442 with either Capoue or Sandro holding and then teams will start to work out our pattern of play and how to better counteract it.

I fully support any manager we have out of pure faith, and in the belief that if he can replicate Harry's style without Harry's love of the lens we have something brilliant.

It will be a true test if we see Ade (I hope not) lose interest again and go stale, and maybe the boost a change of manager can have on the team.

I hope we carry on as we have done though, as we get to see more of this:
usuz.jpg

@ sammyspurs sammyspurs

I don't get it? Are you saying that his stubbornness and hubris caused his side to sink (like with the titanic) or are you saying it doesn't matter who's in charge or what formation we play, it's rearranging deckchairs on the titanic or are you saying that the tactical problems are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Spurs?

You'll have to be a little clearer.

For me, judging by results isn't fickle, it's realistic.

I was soooooooo unhappy we lost to West Ham, but since then Tim has won me over. But if we lose our next six games and are out of everything by March, then I dare say I'll have turned against him by then.

Same with AVB, early this season we weren't playing great, but were getting great results overall in league and Cup, so I was in the 'pro AVB' camp. It started to un-'ravel' with West Ham, and by the time of Pool that was enough for me, and I assume Levy. (and many others too).

A lot of people don't have a good word for either Graham or Ramos, but I do, because they brought us trophies. Ramos had to go though, I'm not sure about Graham however, it's quite possible we sacked him too early. Hoddle wasn't great in dealing with that Cup semi-final v Woolwich. But doubtless George's number would have been up soon enough, there was too much baggage for him to carry at WHL.

It will be interesting to see how he copes if we do maintain a good run and push for the top 4. That's when the mind games will start and most of the current top 4 managers have a wealth of experience in that regard.
Right now I'd be worried that Tim might be the sort of bloke who bites easy and if it doesn't go according to plan he might lose it. Although the sight of him decking Wenger would instantly raise him to legendary status in my eyes...
Of course I may well have him wrong in this regard and he'll cope well with the mind games. Early days.

@ sammyspurs sammyspurs

I don't get it? Are you saying that his stubbornness and hubris caused his side to sink (like with the titanic) or are you saying it doesn't matter who's in charge or what formation we play, it's rearranging deckchairs on the titanic or are you saying that the tactical problems are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Spurs?

You'll have to be a little clearer.

Just some banter mate.......just saying that those things were evident months ago....hence the the "in other news, the titanic has sunk..." joke

Just some banter mate.......just saying that those things were evident months ago....hence the the "in other news, the titanic has sunk..." joke

Ah, I get it now. Yeah, you're right that those things were evident ages ago. But I think Tim Sherwood's total abandonment of those tactics and the positive play that has come about from playing his way just goes to show we were right all along.

It will be interesting to see how he copes if we do maintain a good run and push for the top 4. That's when the mind games will start and most of the current top 4 managers have a wealth of experience in that regard.
Right now I'd be worried that Tim might be the sort of bloke who bites easy and if it doesn't go according to plan he might lose it. Although the sight of him decking Wenger would instantly raise him to legendary status in my eyes...
Of course I may well have him wrong in this regard and he'll cope well with the mind games. Early days.

Well he did captain Blackburn to the championship so I doubt he'll cracker under pressure. Plus the whole mind games crap gets blow way out of proportion

Tim seems to be learning as he goes along which is a good sign. I was just as worried as the next man when he was given the role. But credit where credit is due, things have got off to a decent start for him. Lets hope it continues.
His best move of the game tactically yesterday was taking Soldado off for Kane. United were piling the pressure on us after their quick reply to our second. Soldado wasn't doing enough to hold it up and take the pressure off the defence. Harry came on and was clearly told to put himself about, which I thought he did superbly. It was a bold move by Sherwood. Not many managers would take off their so called superstar striker for a player like Kane.
Well done Tim.

I still think AVBs biggest problem was getting the attack to work. Had he done so we would likely be top of the league (or near too) and looking unstoppable.

His system made a lot of sense in a lot of ways, we controlled games through territory and possession and always had more in the tank compared to the opposition who were chasing things the whole time. He fell down though because he set up a condensed area of play but no means to break through it.

I was saying 5 games into the season, more one touch passing, more movement/anticipation and we would be amazing. It simply never happened.

Sherwoods biggest change to date has been dropping that high up the pitch possession game, not rocket science - mentioned on here a number of times by a number of posters, allowing us room to move and play in.

Suddenly the collection of composed, strong footballers look more like we expect them to. Quick passing, better movement...

Ive always thought we have a fantastic collection of players. Im interested to see where it goes next, once Sherwood actually starts to put his stamp on it.

spot on fella

As much as AVB's system could've been too complex, especially on a tighter pitch at home, I still think it took some balls for Tim to basically play the complete opposite tactics both at home to Stoke and away at United. Honestly, this complete lack of regard for the opposition could've backfired easily if the players weren't motivated enough to dig in and cover each-other.

One thing he has proved is the formation, in academic terms, is largely irrelevant. The style of play comes from the mentality of the players on the pitch. As long as a quality 11 is motivated enough for the task in hand and alert on the ball it won't be exposed. Another thing which is refreshing to hear is that he said we could've played better after beating United away, which shows a bit more ambition than we're used to hearing. The integration of the youth team is also something which has been more effective - Fryers, Kane, Bentaleb, Fredericks etc. are actually being trusted more with the first 11, and we do actually have a clear first 11 that more fans can agree on before the game now.

Still a long way to go - a good result at the weekend and hopefully everyone will be behind him.

i am simply being a realist. Nothing more. If Timmy fucks up the first people at his throat will be the fickle types who are lauding him right now, not me. I have the capacity to support my club without getting carried away. Don't care who the manager is, I'll judge him by his qualifications and how he then goes on to perform. No more, no less.

10 GCSE
4 A Levels
1 BA Degree

Fucking judge me you cunt!

:lamelawtf:

:troll:

We got a cert for swimming the width,also a medal for swimming 2 width,s in pyjamas,and retrieving a brick,very usefull if a brick goes :windy:overboard ,when we are asleep on a north sea ferry

i am simply being a realist. Nothing more. If Timmy fucks up the first people at his throat will be the fickle types who are lauding him right now, not me. I have the capacity to support my club without getting carried away. Don't care who the manager is, I'll judge him by his qualifications and how he then goes on to perform. No more, no less.

Judging a manager on his 'qualifications'?

Jesus

#AMFC's

I don't know whether anyone else has noticed the subtleties to our game that Tim's brought. I first noticed it against West Brom, it seemed like the ball boys were given strict guidance on WBA time wasting and it culminated in one of the ball boys placing the goal kick for Foster.

Then at the United game, I noticed subtle time consuming tactics by our players, something I haven't seen in our side, not this subtlety and not this early in a game. It's the type of tactic the likes of Bolton & Stoke would use against us in previous seasons.

Tim brings a nasty and dirty side to our game reflected in our players playing harder, see also Dembele, Capoue & Adebeyor tangle with Rooney. He also let's the personalities be themselves, for instance Ade's a big character and he let's him be him, thereby annulling the intimidation factor many teams like United would normally have against us.

Under Jol we were pansies, under Ramos we were worse, we got alot better under Harry and this helped team spirit. Under AVB, the one thing I did like was that we were much more solid and played as a unit but to the total detriment of our attacking play. Sherwood seems to have the balance right, after a few games.

It's still too early yet, as one major factor is that we haven't conceded first against any side under Sherwood, so it would be interesting to see our teams reaction to going a goal down. Will we keep our heads or lose them like we did under AVB?

Anyway, the dirtier the better, we've been a bit soft for far too long and with big cunts like Dembele, Capoue, Sandro, Kaboul, Dawson, Ade and athletic cunts like Walker and Fryers, and little midget buff cunts like Rose & Lennon, were a pretty beefy side, just need the nasty side of the game to be mastered and we'll win the league! (If Levy pays off the F.A & ref's association and FIFA like the 'top 4' regularly do!

Back
Top Bottom