Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You don;t need to touch the ball to become active in play - read the rules on 'intent'

Read the rules:

Offence
A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

• interfering with play or
  • interfering with an opponent or
  • gaining an advantage by being in that position

Dawson was flagged offside.
Dawson was not offside.
Wrong decision.

Read the part on 'intent' and 'active in play'

The goal was correctly disallowed

Are you now willing to bend the rules only to protect Timmy? And protect him from what exactly - even if we equalised there is no guarantee we would have gone to take something out of this game.

Funny how all the pens during AVB's time were all dodgy (your words) - but now offside goals are ok.

Last edited:
Read the rules

Eriksen was the last player to touch the ball before Dawson

Adebayor was not flagged offside. Dawson was.

Wrong decision.
The rules are open to interpretation. Normally it wouldn't be given as offside but some referees will see it as offside. We need clarification and consistency from referees.

a sad argument
considering it makes no difference.
The important thing for me is to challenge the red card to hopefully have it written off or reduced to yellow.
WTF has all this to do with Sherwood?

The rules are open to interpretation. Normally it wouldn't be given as offside but some referees will see it as offside. We need clarification and consistency from referees.

If Ade was flagged offside, I wouldnt have a problem...

Interestingly, the whole interfering with play from another player is nowhere to be seen in the FA rule book.....something Sky made up, and the everyone, including refs, just accepted it I guess??

If Ade was flagged offside, I wouldnt have a problem...

Interestingly, the whole interfering with play from another player is nowhere to be seen in the FA rule book.....something Sky made up, and the everyone, including refs, just accepted it I guess??
FIFA governs the game, not the FA

a sad argument
considering it makes no difference.
The important thing for me is to challenge the red card to hopefully have it written off or reduced to yellow.
WTF has all this to do with Sherwood?

Its not a sad argument, its an extremely valid one.

Had we rightly gone in 1-1 at half time, we would have seen what Sherwood was actually capable of without his team being cheated out of a goal....also, the game would have panned out differently and we probably would never be discussing a Rose sending off....

FIFA governs the game, not the FA

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footb...eing/laws-of-the-game/law/newsid=1290867.html

LAW 11 - OFFSIDE
Offside position
It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

• he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
A player is not in an offside position if:

• he is in his own half of the field of play or
  • he is level with the second-last opponent or
  • he is level with the last two opponents
Dawson was not offside

You really arent doing yourself any favours

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footb...eing/laws-of-the-game/law/newsid=1290867.html

LAW 11 - OFFSIDE
Offside position
It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

• he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
A player is not in an offside position if:

• he is in his own half of the field of play or
  • he is level with the second-last opponent or
  • he is level with the last two opponents
Dawson was not offside

You really arent doing yourself any favours

Had we rightly gone in 1-1 at half time, we would have seen what Sherwood was actually capable of without his team being cheated out of a goal....also, the game would have panned out differently and we probably would never be discussing a Rose sending off....
The goal was correctly disallowed - how were we cheated out?

How did you also deduce Rose would not have been sent off as a result?

Its a specious one, because it resolves nothing. The game is over
If you want to argue - it needs to be with the linesman.

Arcspace is defending the argument because it substantiates his belief that Sherwood should not be the manager and that AVB was wrongfully dismissed.
Whether we had scored or not did not determine Rose's fate, and you cannot make a statement that the game would have changed had the goal been allowed, no one can make that determination.

The goal was correctly disallowed - how were we cheated out?

How did you also deduce Rose would not have been sent off as a result?

If Ade was flagged offside, it would have been the correct decision, possibly.
Dawson was flagged offside. Dawson was not offside. It was chalked off for the wrong reason, making it a wrong decision.

As I said, the game would not have flowed the exact same way had we been 1-1....that through ball may never have came, and the subsequent challenge and red.

Do you do this on purpose?

If Ade was flagged offside, it would have been the correct decision, possibly.
Dawson was flagged offside. Dawson was not offside. It was chalked off for the wrong reason, making it a wrong decision.

As I said, the game would not have flowed the exact same way had we been 1-1....that through ball may never have came, and the subsequent challenge and red.

Do you do this on purpose?
The goal should not have stood - that is the bottom line here for me

We could have also gone on to lose 8:1 - just as valid as an assumption

Whether we had scored or not did not determine Rose's fate, and you cannot make a statement that the game would have changed had the goal been allowed, no one can make that determination.

I can, because had the goal stood, City would have had to kick off, not take a free kick from their box.

Every kick from that point on would have been different.

The goal should not have stood - that is the bottom line here for me

We could have also gone on to lose 8:1 - just as valid as an assumption

I know its a valid assumption. Just like mine is...and?

And the bottom line is that Dawson was not offside, which is all Ive argued.....where as earlier you are on record as saying:

"Dawson WAS offside"

That is incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom