The Race For 7th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You think Villa are ahead of us in terms of players,squad,manager,stadium and even style of play??? I wouldn’t swap anything about them for what we have.
We will finish above them. My opinion obviously

Villa finished above us last season, didn't lose any of their best players and strengthened their squad in the summer. Whereas we lost our top goalscorer/best player, hired an unproven manager at the top top level and started the season with 5 new starters having to be bedded in and get used to a brand new system.

There really isn't any shame in finishing behind them this season (if we did). They've been excellent since Emery took charge. Both clubs can take pride in improving on last season and getting closer to the top of the table.

I do think your statement is just because your a Spurs fan though. If you were to ask Villa fans, I think they'd say similar. They definitely wouldn't change the manager and they'd probably have more Villa players in a combined eleven etc. But that's football supporters for you.

Villa finished above us last season, didn't lose any of their best players and strengthened their squad in the summer. Whereas we lost our top goalscorer/best player, hired an unproven manager at the top top level and started the season with 5 new starters having to be bedded in and get used to a brand new system.

There really isn't any shame in finishing behind them this season (if we did). They've been excellent since Emery took charge. Both clubs can take pride in improving on last season and getting closer to the top of the table.

I do think your statement is just because your a Spurs fan though. If you were to ask Villa fans, I think they'd say similar. They definitely wouldn't change the manager and they'd probably have more Villa players in a combined eleven etc. But that's football supporters for you.
In no way would I be embarrassed if they finished above us because they have very good players,a top manager and I always see them as a big club even though they don’t have the trophies which is similar to us but I wouldn’t swap anything of theirs for ours.
When I look at the squads I think our keeper and back 4 are better than theirs. The only one I’d take in midfield of theirs is McGinn because he offers everything a midfielder can give you. Watkins is a better all round striker than Richy so I’d take him. There are arguments for others such as Douglas Luiz
but that’s again just my opinion.

You think Villa are ahead of us in terms of players,squad,manager,stadium and even style of play??? I wouldn’t swap anything about them for what we have.
We have a better stadium, undoubtedly.

Our global brand appeal is superior too.

I certainly wouldn't say their squad is worse than ours, though. Martinez vs Vic, Pau vs Micky, Douglas Luiz vs Biss or Roddy, Bailey vs Kulu or Johnson, Watkins vs Richy...all pretty close fights imo. McGinn, Ramsey, Tielemans, Kamara, Digne...they aren't too shabby either. But yeah we have Cuti and Sonny.

As of now, their manager has a better pedigree than ours...sorry, Ange cult fanatics. Sevilla, Valencia, Villareal, PSG...four Europa League titles. That beats Ange's achievements, it's not even up for debate.

They play some pretty attractive team football and they've done it a tad more consistently than we have. Scored a few more goals, conceded a couple less.

Hopefully we can find some form again and beat them to 4th, but right now it's no robbery them being ahead of us.

From where we were, 5th is not successful.

Especially considering our cup runs and lack of games.
The league was always gonna be a difficult one, for many reasons...level of competition, Ange's first stab at the mighty PL, that mad injury spell we've had to cope with certainly hasn't helped matters.

Say we finish higher than 8th, which I think is a pretty safe assumption at this stage ...there'll be some saying it's an obvious improvement seen how we finished last season 8th under Conte, but let's not forget that had the coaching & playing staff not downed tools like shameless morons, we'd have finished 4th or 5th, so yeah context is important. Should we finish 5th or 6th this time round, I'd say that's pretty much our level really, and a decent effort. Gimme 3rd or 4th and that'd be pretty solid for Ange's first go at it and considering the old Spurs constraints.

To be honest, the one I'm really pissed off about is the FA Cup. I actually don't give a shit about the league cup and think it should be scrapped. Germany, Spain, France, Italy...unless I'm mistaken, they've only got one domestic cup comp, which is the way it should be. Anyway...yeah I'm still furious about our early exit from the FA Cup. Yeah yeah yeah we had City, the big mighty City. Tell you what, if we'd lost to them after having a proper go, I'd have said ok fair enough. But we never tried to lay a glove on them. One shot on target at home vs an underwhelming City side missing Haaland and with a 50% fit KDB, that's just disgusting and we should've had a proper apology from coach & players.

I think you might be underestimating villa a bit here.
They have a good squad, probably similar in terms of quality to ours, a good manager who, has had a bit longer to work with his squad.
They also play with, a high line, and have had injuries, we have had our best CB pairing back but we do struggle to stop shipping goals.
Our stadium is obviously better, although I have been to villa park and it's a very traditional looking stadium, and they are planning on increasing capacity too.
I don't think we will beat them at theirs, but finishing fifth is ok for us, my opinion of course.

On the pitch we have moved on from trying to compete with woolwich, City and Liverpool to trying to keep up with Villa.

:levywtf:

Off the pitch this last season at least we have overtaken woolwich and Liverpool.

:levylol:

My chairman!!

:levystare::levyeyes:

The league was always gonna be a difficult one, for many reasons...level of competition, Ange's first stab at the mighty PL, that mad injury spell we've had to cope with certainly hasn't helped matters.

Say we finish higher than 8th, which I think is a pretty safe assumption at this stage ...there'll be some saying it's an obvious improvement seen how we finished last season 8th under Conte, but let's not forget that had the coaching & playing staff not downed tools like shameless morons, we'd have finished 4th or 5th, so yeah context is important. Should we finish 5th or 6th this time round, I'd say that's pretty much our level really, and a decent effort. Gimme 3rd or 4th and that'd be pretty solid for Ange's first go at it and considering the old Spurs constraints.

To be honest, the one I'm really pissed off about is the FA Cup. I actually don't give a shit about the league cup and think it should be scrapped. Germany, Spain, France, Italy...unless I'm mistaken, they've only got one domestic cup comp, which is the way it should be. Anyway...yeah I'm still furious about our early exit from the FA Cup. Yeah yeah yeah we had City, the big mighty City. Tell you what, if we'd lost to them after having a proper go, I'd have said ok fair enough. But we never tried to lay a glove on them. One shot on target at home vs an underwhelming City side missing Haaland and with a 50% fit KDB, that's just disgusting and we should've had a proper apology from coach & players.
The league Cup is the only thing we are even remotely likely to win at some point in the next 100 years and you want to scrap it

:ange-facepalm2:

New manager with a majority of players that are not his plus we finished 8th last year and sold Kane, that is better than we could hope for .
Come on some may not be his but his a few of them for his style. You saying if wouldn’t have wanted destiny, Porro, boss, son , kulu, cuti, bent, Sarr, etc? Based on the players he has chosen like Johnson, Werner then I’m glad we already had the others. Every coach should work with what he has , improve them to how he wants the team to play and add with a few of their own players. Otherwise you’d have to change a number of players every time the coach changes.

Come on some may not be his but his a few of them for his style. You saying if wouldn’t have wanted destiny, Porro, boss, son , kulu, cuti, bent, Sarr, etc? Based on the players he has chosen like Johnson, Werner then I’m glad we already had the others. Every coach should work with what he has , improve them to how he wants the team to play and add with a few of their own players. Otherwise you’d have to change a number of players every time the coach changes.
His main focus was to get shot of Dier, Sanchez etc to release funds for those players, it all takes time, Destiny and Porro have never played as inverted full backs before and are currently being coached into doing it. The centre backs have a different role too with that in mind. It all takes time plus a barrel load of injuries. Personally I think we are punching well above our weight and I'm kind of glad we are, hopefully with a pre season and a few more players in and out we can go places.

I certainly wouldn't say their squad is worse than ours, though. Martinez vs Vic, Pau vs Micky, Douglas Luiz vs Biss or Roddy, Bailey vs Kulu or Johnson, Watkins vs Richy...all pretty close fights imo. McGinn, Ramsey, Tielemans, Kamara, Digne...they aren't too shabby either. But yeah we have Cuti and Sonny.

As of now, their manager has a better pedigree than ours...sorry, Ange cult fanatics. Sevilla, Valencia, Villareal, PSG...four Europa League titles. That beats Ange's achievements, it's not even up for debate.

They play some pretty attractive team football and they've done it a tad more consistently than we have. Scored a few more goals, conceded a couple less.

Hopefully we can find some form again and beat them to 4th, but right now it's no robbery them being ahead of us.
Superior global brand……….you’ll never sing that.!!!

How will the places in Europe work this season if villa win the Europa conference and already qualify for it for the league. And also guessing if Liverpool win the cup it will make an extra place available also

I would say this is spot on, the only thing that might affect villa is, FFP I think their manager mentioned it recently.
If it affects them buying anyone or, they let go of some of their better players, that could, work in our favour.
It's no fluke they are in front of us, they are every bit as good, and probably more consistent as you say.

Glorified Audi Cup
Ofc if we won it it would be? Ffs why do we have fans who turn their noses up at any of the 3 domestic comps? As long as it is around then it should be treated with respect. By your statement then 2008 wasn’t the last time we won a “trophy”. Every competition is there to be won otherwise why enter.

Back
Top Bottom