"The Line"

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we weren't hot favorites against Nottm Forest, Brighton, Sheffield Utd and Newcastle (at home) then I apologise
I think he's conceding here that he was relying on a presumption, which I think is fair. I would certainly presume the same.
As I said, according to whom? The mental midgets who write for newspapers and Robbie Savage? Or according to people who actually make money based on figuring that stuff out for a living?

I don't need to, I looked at them then. Shit happens on occasion, but on others the underlying numbers tell a very interesting story.

You like to claim you're being realistic, but it comes across just as moaning because you project an absolute judgement with any attempt to include facts or details in discussion being waved aside as not important.
So are you saying we weren't the bookmakers' favorites in all of those games? I would be very interested to know which ones.

I think he's conceding here that he was relying on a presumption, which I think is fair. I would certainly presume the same.

So are you saying we weren't the bookmakers' favorites in all of those games? I would be very interested to know which ones.
We were favourites, but not by the margins he assumes. Especially the Newcastle game.

zEYQhBL.gif

Obveously I would have wanted to win both games?
A team develops win or lose. As a team/players/coach, experience comes from across the spectrum of games? Pochs nievity against experience was clearly exposed in both games.We lost, so lets take a positive form both and march on.

We were favourites, but not by the margins he assumes. Especially the Newcastle game.

Coral had us odds on and Newcastle at 7/2 for the win. There was not one game that we were not odds-on to win until the final where we were 3/1 underdogs.

Of course, winning a sequence of matches is different to individual odds and no bookmaker could give odds in advance because they don't know the draw, but roughly speaking we would have been around 3/1 to reach the final based on a 4 match accumulator. So while we did well to reach the final, you can trade that 'achievement' against the 'underachievement' of getting knocked out of the FA cup by teams we were odds on to beat (yes, I checked - even Burnley away we were 4/5 on) then it puts this seasons domestic cup performance in perspective.

Why I'm taking time to argue with someone who thought Falcao was 'bang average' at Porto and Atletico Madrid, and thinks I'm not backing up my arguments with facts... that's a far more contentious subject. I think the answer is "because internet".

Coral had us odds on and Newcastle at 7/2 for the win. There was not one game that we were not odds-on to win until the final where we were 3/1 underdogs.

Of course, winning a sequence of matches is different to individual odds and no bookmaker could give odds in advance because they don't know the draw, but roughly speaking we would have been around 3/1 to reach the final based on a 4 match accumulator. So while we did well to reach the final, you can trade that 'achievement' against the 'underachievement' of getting knocked out of the FA cup by teams we were odds on to beat (yes, I checked - even Burnley away we were 4/5 on) then it puts this seasons domestic cup performance in perspective.

Why I'm taking time to argue with someone who thought Falcao was 'bang average' at Porto and Atletico Madrid, and thinks I'm not backing up my arguments with facts... that's a far more contentious subject. I think the answer is "because internet".
I wasn't talking about bookie odds, I was referring more to the underlying numbers, like respective PDO and shot quality. We've been less than impressive all year, and that won't change until the players do. Pochettino is hamstrung by the squad at this point.

As for Falcao, yes, he's not as good as his reputation. He got a massive amount of English-language hype after his game against Chelsea, but when you take out the penalties, his record is much less impressive. And post-injury, he's just plain crap.

WE'RE SAFE!!!! ANOTHER SEASON OF PREMIER LEAGUE FOOTBALL TO LOOK FORWARD TO!!!

BTW, it took me this long to realise the table on the right was last season! Amazing to think that we're on the same points as last season, and yet this time last year, not only were we 5th, we still weren't 'safe' mathematically! I can't work out whether that represents progress or not, or just that last season's League was as tight as a Gnat's Chuff...

Man, Norwich plummeted didn't they?? Hull must be shitting themselves, they're a point worse off! ...and on a more serious note, if Man City could do what they did from this position last season, fuck me ArseAnal can have a fucking good go too! Bloody will an'all, you watch!

Cheers for this RD. Will be fun to see it change over the coming months.

I note incidentally, our points total is worse than last season. So much for progress! And no, I'm not interested in 'transition seasons', I've seen them too many times. Easy excuse for underachievement.
We may have less points, but our GD has improved! :unsure:
Last year this time we had conceded 37 and scored 37.
This year the defence is considerably worse, conceding 45. That is 8 more goals conceded compared to last year this time.
However, we have scored 13 more goals.
We also have had Mason/Bentaleb as a rookie midfield pairing, a 21 yr old rookie up front, no fit or decent right back for the majority of the season and two new CB's who have never played in the EPL, one who has just turned 21.
The defence has been bad, but considering the unfamiliarity of the team, as a whole it's not too bad. It can be improved.
We have still got a long way to go but I believe the signs are good.
The last thing we need is another upheaval. We have no God given right to finish 4th when there are 4 teams that do have. We need stability, time to build. Let's give the team we have brought in time to unearth some talent and assemble a decent squad.
We have been dire at times this year but are only 7 points off third. Last year we were 6. Massive difference?
Anyone who thinks we should be pissing 4th spot with our squad and financial muscle is a fucking dreamer.
Before you say 2010, we pipped a not yet entrenched Man City. The year we lost 4th to the Chavs, their players basically threw the league to get AVB sacked.

At this point last year City still had all those games in hand though.
Ahhhh, point well made, I hadn't noticed! You're right... thank fook!!
Mind you, it still means Chelsea are most likely to win it, which is almost, but not much less unbearable than seeing Arseanal win it... at least whoever wins it out of Chelsea/Man City, they'll get fuck all credit... and just be accused of buying titles anyway!

1z50isp.png
1zq9h6o.jpg

Not much in it compared to last year (right)...and no I'm not going to let the 'not-quite-mathematical unlikelihood that West Brom will catch us' slide - a twenty-goal swing is easlity within Spurs' capabilities.
:adeohshit:

Back
Top Bottom