"The Line"

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry bruh, I was referring to the GD. My bad.

Meh, sorry...
14aigy9.jpg

Our projected GD based on the season so far and remaining games left (as a % of current GD is +5). We are pretty much the same as last year but miles behind the Top 4 average current or projected.

how'd we do last year bro? Gotta walk before we can fly.

Our record against the teams above us is better than last year (ratio based) but worse against teams below us.

Once again, I'm not anti-Poch but I'm not one for getting carried away by a few good results or the fact he's a decent guy. I really, really want him to do well but unless there is marked improvement next season (my benchmark would be finishing with something around +20 GD) then I'm not sure there's a case for further optimism.

Meh, sorry...
14aigy9.jpg

Our projected GD based on the season so far and remaining games left (as a % of current GD is +5). We are pretty much the same as last year but miles behind the Top 4 average current or projected.

Our record against the teams above us is better than last year (ratio based) but worse against teams below us.
Exactly, like i said. Wouldn't you rather be in our current position, knowing that on our day we can beat anyone. Than in last years position where it was never "our day" and even when we won it looked like we could lose..

Exactly, like i said. Wouldn't you rather be in our current position, knowing that on our day we can beat anyone. Than in last years position where it was never "our day" and even when we won it looked like we could lose..

I'd rather be in the position we were two to six years ago tbh

:walkercry:

Positives: Harry Kane, better team spirit, the emergance to first team status of Mason and Bentaleb, improvements from Rose (lets face it, the only way was up) and more consistency from Eriksen, made it to a cup final (without beating anyone decent), some good results against Chelsea and Woolwich.

Negatives: Terrible defensive record, reliant on goals in last 5 mins to sneak 1 goal wins, out of the FA Cup without facing anyone decent, out of Europe fairly early and only 2nd in our Europa League table, our high value purchases (Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho etc) utterly out of form. Beaten badly by Liverpool and Utd.

At the end of the day we're 7th, pretty much where we ought to be on merit. I can't see that as a positive when we've been consistently 4th or 5th in most of the last 5 years.
I think your comment regarding the cup final run is very harsh. So we should only be disappointed if we go out to a team above us? We all know cup final has a different mentality. Anyone can beat anyone. To dumb it down as though it was inevitable or no more than we should have expected is pretty harsh on Poch. As you said yourself, we went out of the FA Cup to Leicester...that's how easy it is to lose to 'worse' opposition!

How is winning games late a negative? If we lose in the last 5/10 minutes, it's bad. If we win in the last 5/10 minutes, it's also bad. Sounds like your being overly critical and very negative about something that most clubs and fans would see as an excellent trait. Fuck me, Fergies' teams had a knack for it!!

Agree the signings are a shame, but they are not Poch's players. He's tried to get the best from them, and it is clear they cannot cut it under new management. Pauli and Soldado in particular really need to go. But that is no slight on Poch. They've never performed for him when given the chance, whilst others have flourished.

The season isn't over. To say after 29 games we're 7th when we've been finishing 5th isn't fair. He's not even had a season yet!! It's that kind of negative, simple, short term thinking that gets these managers sacked prematurely.

Sure, in terms of league position, we're lower, but the club and team performances are more positive and you can see the progression in the players and the potential they have?

Meh, sorry...
14aigy9.jpg

Once again, I'm not anti-Poch but I'm not one for getting carried away by a few good results or the fact he's a decent guy. I really, really want him to do well but unless there is marked improvement next season (my benchmark would be finishing with something around +20 GD) then I'm not sure there's a case for further optimism.
I was being facetious as our GD is never anyway near any of those in and around us. We're generally lucky to get it in the black.

Massive goal difference makes for one sided boring easy games.

Count me out. In it for the heart attack last min wins at home to the wankest side imaginable going nuts like you have beaten Classic XI in the world cup final with India.

I think your comment regarding the cup final run is very harsh. So we should only be disappointed if we go out to a team above us?

Nope, I'm saying that on a game-by-game basis we'd have been hot favourites in every match we played up until the final where we played a team we were expected to lose to, and lost. Conversely, we were expected to beat Burnley and Leicester and won 1 of the 3 games in those ties. Of course it's good that we got to a cup final but it would absolutely have been poor if we hadn't, given our toughest game on paper was against a poor Newcastle side. Hell, even Sheffield Utd ran us close!

I'd love to buy some of the optimism on show in this thread. I'm not this critical on the terraces - my mates know me as 'the vein' because I go nuts getting behind the team and at the opposition (so apparently a vein bulges on my forehead... errr...) but away from the matches I'm a statistician / researcher by trade and tend to view things very objectively. We slag off the Gooners justifyably for their easy runs in cup competitions yet can't turn the same logic on ourselves when we get a slice of luck in terms of opposition?

It's actually a worse points ratio than we had under AVB in 2012-2013 (and that's removing the 'easier' team Southampton from the calculation).
We also were in a different season then. The points gaps are interesting, but there is a very small gap from 7th to 3rd this year. We'll see what May brings.

Nope, I'm saying that on a game-by-game basis we'd have been hot favourites in every match we played up until the final where we played a team we were expected to lose to, and lost. Conversely, we were expected to beat Burnley and Leicester and won 1 of the 3 games in those ties. Of course it's good that we got to a cup final but it would absolutely have been poor if we hadn't, given our toughest game on paper was against a poor Newcastle side. Hell, even Sheffield Utd ran us close!

I'd love to buy some of the optimism on show in this thread. I'm not this critical on the terraces - my mates know me as 'the vein' because I go nuts getting behind the team and at the opposition (so apparently a vein bulges on my forehead... errr...) but away from the matches I'm a statistician / researcher by trade and tend to view things very objectively. We slag off the Gooners justifyably for their easy runs in cup competitions yet can't turn the same logic on ourselves when we get a slice of luck in terms of opposition?
Hot favourites according to who? If you mean the papers/TV, then don't bother. They're the biggest bunch of clueless nitwits when it comes to predicting who will win.

We have been hot favourites once in the league. We blew that game. Other games we haven not been hot favourites, and done about as well as predicted, or sometimes much better.

If we weren't hot favorites against Nottm Forest, Brighton, Sheffield Utd and Newcastle (at home) then I apologise
As I said, according to whom? The mental midgets who write for newspapers and Robbie Savage? Or according to people who actually make money based on figuring that stuff out for a living?

They are average lower division clubs and we're a typically top 5 premier league club ffs. OF COURSE WE ARE FAVOURITES. By everyone, except total morons I'd venture.

If you want to waste your own time looking for historical bookies odds to prove me right, be my guest.

Last edited:
:pochwtf: You mad, son? in what is another transitional season (but hopefully under a manager who we will see play out his long term plan) we have seen far more positives than negatives.

Fuck me, if we'd have beaten Utd on the weekend, we'd all be waxing lyrical about how well we're doing, how great the team look, youth products, Harry Kane's cock size etc etc.

One loss and the hurt runs deep, but it doesn't define a season. If we string a few wins together, it will start to look rosy again.

Was going to explain this isn't true but already been done. 2017 they reckon, IF Italian teams continue to do well.

All 6 of their sides still in Europe this season; Juventus, Napoli, Inter Milan, Torino, Roma & Fiorentina. Quite an achievement, actually!

It's maths based on results - not which league is more profitable. Otherwise the top 4 European leagues would have 8 spots each! :avblol:

They don't want to show everyone that they're blatantly corrupt.

They are average lower division clubs and we're a typically top 5 premier league club ffs. OF COURSE WE ARE FAVOURITES. By everyone, except total morons I'd venture.

If you want to waste your own time looking for historical bookies odds to prove me right, be my guest.
I don't need to, I looked at them then. Shit happens on occasion, but on others the underlying numbers tell a very interesting story.

You like to claim you're being realistic, but it comes across just as moaning because you project an absolute judgement with any attempt to include facts or details in discussion being waved aside as not important.

We are a new side developing nicely. Losing cup finsls is good. Getting trashed by Utd was good. The team/players need to learn from each and every occasion, The players / Poch need time. This line business is nonsence, I cant see the point. Where's the blue line under 4th if we win all are remaining 9 games? I guess we can still win the league?

Back
Top Bottom