The Dawson Derby, AKA The Andy Reid Derby, AKA The Brennan Johnson Derby - AKA EVERY FUCKING PLAYER EVER- AKA Forest Away - 15/12, 8pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The offside rule was invented to stop goalhanging.

These days being roughly in line with the last outfield player should be enough. The last defender could be 30 meters away on the other side of the pitch yet seemingly playing a player on, and never likely to get you, but a goal is disallowed because a toe hair is over the line.

These days being roughly in line with the last outfield player should be enough. The last defender could be 30 meters away on the other side of the pitch yet seemingly playing a player on, and never likely to get you, but a goal is disallowed because a toe hair is over the line.
I was just gonna post the same thing!

Proud Of You Good Job GIF by Lucas and Friends by RV AppStudios

They just need to be consistent with whatever they do instead of deciding how they want to enforce an imaginary line depending on the story they want the game to follow.

I'd forgotten about it for a while but remember the begining of the season; all the talk was of a "high threshold" yet there have been more reds in half a season than in the entirety of last season already.

Perhaps the "high threshold" bring about a new all-time EPL record? 🤡 🤡 🤡

most-red-cards-in-a-premier-league-season-1.png

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about it for a while but remember the begining of the season; all the talk was of a "high threshold" yet we have more reds in half a season than in the entirety of last season already.

If we get to 76, what are the odds the majority of them are against us?

Tottenham Hotspur, forever breaking new ground...

I'd forgotten about it for a while but remember the begining of the season; all the talk was of a "high threshold" yet we have more reds in half a season than in the entirety of last season already.

The genuinely decide what is a red card from game to game and it ends up meaning more players get sent off but at the same time leave hacks unpunished that cause more injuries.

Double negative when it comes more players on the sidelines

Let's hope someone in a position of authority and with a shred of reasonableness reviews all these 'above the ankle' challenges at the end of the season and we land with some consistent, and dare I say common sense, decision making for when the 24/25 season comes around. That's the best case outcome IMV.

The current interpretation and application of this law is wildly inconsistent from one game, team and ref to the next. Stating the obvious, laws are supposed to be based on fairness, reasonableness, and promote consistency of decision (i.e. Standardised responses to similar actions) not setting people up to fail. I don't think refs or VAR are intentionally fucking up these decisions - it's a combo of a rule that's not fit for purpose and a proportion of refs who lack the confidence, fortitude and judgement to apply a bit of common sense to one of the most dynamic sports in the world. Hence why it's so unfair to slow motion replay these tackles on a loop! Apply some basic behavioural science to VAR and it'll drastically improve decision-making.

I suspect we get treated harsher than most on average because we tend not to complain either directly (Arteta, Klopp) or via the supposed Vox Pops (Neville and Carragher).

Do I think there will be a change for the better next season? No.
Never gonna happen as it’s down human interpretation and influences in particular games. You never VAR room
may be listen to sky commentary. Say they carra spitting off saying it’s defo red and his gone in with force? Even though we can see boss did not go in with force.

They definitely overuse slowmo replays. If you can see the incident at full speed, there is no need for slowmo. The only need for a slowmo is if you didn't see who touched a ball last or something similar.

This I can agree on. All VAR use (except offside) should be only done at regular speed.

That said, Bissouma was in my opinion a red card although the yellow that the ref gave would likely not have been overturned if VAR had only used replays at regular speed. It wasn't a clear and obvious error so it should not be overturned.

The system is broken and it's amazing that the FA continues to stand by it.

Never gonna happen as it’s down human interpretation and influences in particular games. You never VAR room
may be listen to sky commentary. Say they carra spitting off saying it’s defo red and his gone in with force? Even though we can see boss did not go in with force.
I agree with your points. The Biss challenge should not be a red card offence but sadly this is what's happened under the current laws of the game. The law's an ass in many respects and refs are pinning the tail on the donkey's forehead on a weekly basis!

Just to clarify - my comment about Neville and Spitty influencing decisions wasn't claiming VAR hears their shit punditry during the game. The influence comes after the fact IMV, whereby Refs, VAR, and those who regulate will invariably watch, listen and read whatever these idiot-experts shout loudest about. An unashamedly biased media undermines the integrity of sport especially when there's no voice of reason to moderate the likes of Merson (clown of a pundit), Neville (not stupid but clearly biased) and Spitty (knee jerker).

Watch his second leg follow through and then he's on the floor pretending to be hurt. Knew exactly what he was doing. Players like this going unpunished allows them to hack for the whole game is like compound interest on any little knocks that our players have.

It fucking stinks.
Yates should have had a yellow for that.

Bissouma's was a yellow too. I don't see that Bissouma's was worse than that Yates' one

Think man…..look at some of the terrible fouls inflicted upon our players without any bookings or sendings off whilst our players seem to get booked for much less. Injuries to Maddison and Bentancur for example plus others. Ange needs to speak up on these.
I agree. I get that he's better than that, but the clowns at the FA and the wokeavirus media don't car for reason and decency.

The problem with VAR is always ALWAYS going to be the people who administer it.
Referee's shouldn't be the sole rule makers. There should be representatives from them, from teams, from players from fans, from leagues and more. They should all be unanimously agreeing on how VAR should be used, and, how certain rules are applied.

Referee's alone are absolutely awful at this. Their only mindset is application of a rule and all rules are black and white. Nothing else matters to them but applying the rule.

They don't care about fan enjoyment. They don't care about scenarios where applying the rule doesn't actually matter.
And on top of all that, still still get it wrong whilst sucking all the fun out of the game.

Gotta agree...

Considering the state they're in, I'm amazed he got the job.

Astonished would be nearer the mark.

You'd have thought they'd be looking for someone with a track record for keeping teams up...

Sam Allardyce England GIF

Love that shot of BFS laughing loudly at another cheating diving cunt!

Back
Top Bottom