The 2017/2018 Season Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where will Tottenham finish in the league

• 1st

Votes: 60 43.8%
  • 2nd

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • 3rd

Votes: 25 18.2%
  • 4th

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • 5th-7th

Votes: 17 12.4%
  • 8+

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
No Edwards in the pre season trip to USA. Understandable considering he's just been at the European Championships.

Even more interesting is no Sterling.

As much as i hate the doom mongers, i think that the stadium merry go round and the necessary frugality caused by the build will mean that we will see a slight slump in form all of which i feel is completely understandable and inevitable.

If anything our success over the last few years is ahead of schedule. Once we are established in the new stadium proper and we can start really competing commercially then the sky is really the limit. But for now a top four (three?) finish and maintaining a CL presence would be acceptable for me. Also massively depends on whether the "big dogs" under achieve again.

Unfortunately i feel that anything less than a trophy would be viewed as a failure by many for and against the club.

The promised land is closer than it's ever been, within touching distance, just need to be happy and patient with these rations until then.

I don't get this "the big boys under achieve again" they finished below us these past few years because we were better than them, not because they under achieved.

I don't get this "the big boys under achieve again" they finished below us these past few years because we were better than them, not because they under achieved.

I would say achievement should be measured by expectation.

So we can say: "even though we came away without any silverware, last season was still a success for us because we over achieved the expectations of our own fans and those of the footballing public in general."

By the same measure Woolwich and Utd massively underachieved last year based on their own fans expectations of where the club should be and their potential for achievement considering the money and talent at their disposal.

Just had a scope at the seedings for CL.

This group is a very real possibility...

Bayern Munich
Barcelona
Tottenham Hotspur
Roma

Pot 2 is stronger than Pot 1.
Not to be negative. If that ends up being our group I'd be happy with third in the group. Bayern and Barca are not to laugh at. Same with Roma. Exciting games but tough ones

Not to be negative. If that ends up being our group I'd be happy with third in the group. Bayern and Barca are not to laugh at. Same with Roma. Exciting games but tough ones
I'd love that group. As much as we'd exit at the group stages. Playing against teams of that calibre will only help our players in the long term. It's what the CL is all about. It's just mad how strong the first two pots are now pot 1 has to have league champions.

We could also get this tbf...

Spartak Moscow
Porto
Tottenham Hotspur
RB Liepzig

I'd love that group. As much as we'd exit at the group stages. Playing against teams of that calibre will only help our players in the long term. It's what the CL is all about. It's just mad how strong the first two pots are now pot 1 has to have league champions.

We could also get this tbf...

Spartak Moscow
Porto
Tottenham Hotspur
RB Liepzig

I'd love something like Barca, Spartak Moscow, Feyenoord. Barca for the glamour, Spartak cos they're beatable, Feyenoord for the history and cos they're beatable.

We are in the Champions League to bring exposure to our name and play the best teams Europe have to offer, no?

We want to prove how good we are, time we started doing that. I don't care if we get an easy group or a hard group, I don't think any games are particularly easy by the way. It's all a learning curve.

You'll lean alot more losing to Barcelona or Bayern then you would smashing a CSKA Moscow.

Back
Top Bottom