TFC's Tactical Autopsy Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Did you just comparatively elevate some Chelsea scum to that Valencian god amongst men? Shame on you Five. You should know better.

But our boy BC says he should have squeezed it into the other window...you know, the tight, more central one where if a similar outcome occurred they would have been down our throats for what would have been their 2nd at that time.

You and RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK can fuck right off, that pass is fucking on, because even from the side you can see there is a yard and a half in the angle and the Bayern player is facing the opposite way - and where I was sat right behind this, the corridor was even wider. And also Sissoko is in so much fucking space it wouldn’t have mattered but f he’d hit the pass a yard to the left of him, in fact that would have pushed him toward the direction the attack would have taken.

And any cunt with a brain would have moved to make receiving the ball easier, but the dopey cunt stood there fucking pointing Son away, refusing to take the ball.

And stop fucking busting my fucking balls about Winks too. For the umpteenth time, I know he’s not spunkbread, how many ways can I fucking say it, but he’s not Dier or fucking Sissoko, so there’s fucking that.

You’re all cunts. Especially the militant wing of the Gaelic tactical front RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK

You and RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK @Five can fuck right off, that pass is fucking on, because even from the side you can see there is a yard and a half in the angle and the Bayern player is facing the opposite way
Sure, sure BC. If you take your drunk-ass VAR-y line then sure the pass is 'on'. But I detailed why it isn't. And correct passes are when and where it's best for the receiver not capriciously dictated by some rando in the crowd.

And also Sissoko is in so much fucking space it wouldn’t have mattered but f he’d hit the pass a yard to the left of him, in fact that would have pushed him toward the direction the attack would have taken.
And any cunt with a brain would have moved to make receiving the ball easier, but the dopey cunt stood there fucking pointing Son away, refusing to take the ball.
Yes, I have stated that Sissoko could have moved left or Sonny could have hit it where you drunk-ass VAR-y line is pointed and 'moved' him there. But that discounts the possibility that Sissoko made his initial movements expecting Sonny to move the ball laterally first (the easier pass that seems to be open for this whole sequence) which would have opened the pass to him even more. Which would have been the best of all possible outcomes.

And stop fucking busting my fucking balls about Winks too. For the umpteenth time, I know he’s not spunkbread, how many ways can I fucking say it, but he’s not Dier or fucking Sissoko, so there’s fucking that.
Just to clarify I have yet to bust your balls on Winks today. I critiqued his play in general. I like to keep my BC-ball-busting powder dry. I find it most advantageous to kick a man when he's down. You seem to still have some life in you on some of these points. :allitongue:

You’re all cunts. Especially the militant wing of the Gaelic tactical front RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK @Five
On this you are absolutely correct! We all know RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK is the biggest cunt of us all.

graham roberts got it right about eriksen, if he doesnt want to be here, keep him away from the squad, hes just a hindrance now, and a negativity around the players.
That goes for anyone who doesn’t want to play for us! Pochettino should just ask the question and if they’re honest with us and themselves just stand aside let those who does want to play let them play even if they’re not the best or of the same calibre I’d rather have them giving 100% than somebody just going through the motions that’s no good anyone!

You could do me a big favour and stop mentioning him in the same breath as Jorginho and Iniesta. It's cringeworthy. Where he is concerned, it is like watching a mouse being chased by a cat. And I really fear for the mouse. He manages to look awfully busy whilst achieving almost nothing. Of course it wouldn't at all be like you to rub one out over an academy product, would it?

If he played for Woolwich or anyone else, we would be laughing our cocks off at him.

You could do me a big favour and fuck right off you upity cunt . I said he's no Iniesta and is as defensively compromised as Jorginho. How many fucking times do I have say it, he's not getting in my first 11 if we have better options. But the Frankenstein twins aint fucking it. At least he can occasionally look like a fucking footballer, he cost us fuck all and we are paying him about a third of what we are paying the fuckwit unit. Bigger fucking problems is us.

Looking at BC's picture, I think that's Dele at the top of the shot. The first thing that comes to my mind is that it's a crying shame that Sonny and DA aren't swapped in that pic, because I'm pretty sure Dele would have found the pass over the FB's head and Sonny would have had the pace to get on the end of it. The way it is, Sonny struggles to make the pass, and Dele doesn't have the pace to beat the right back.

Also I find myself agreeing entirely with todd1882 todd1882 . Am I OK?

:dierpochhug:

This season we are stuck with what we have but as of next season I think we need to see the following take shape:

[FORMATION=4321,Lloris,New RB,New CB,New CB,Sessegnon,Lo Celso,New DM,Ndombele,Dele,Son,Kane][/FORMATION]

[FORMATION=4321,Gazzaniga,Walker-Peters,Sanchez,Foyth,Davies,Winks,Dier,Sissoko,Clarke,Lamela,Lucas][/FORMATION]

Players such as Skipp & Parrott either out on a proper loan or bulking up the numbers. Much depends on the development of Sessegnon at LB. if that doesn't happen switch him up with Davies or keep Rose. A lot of TLC required to our defensive minded players. A RB, 2xCB and possibly a top DM type player required to stop us leaking so much at the back.

You could do me a big favour and fuck right off you upity cunt . I said he's no Iniesta and is as defensively compromised as Jorginho. How many fucking times do I have say it, he's not getting in my first 11 if we have better options. But the Frankenstein twins aint fucking it. At least he can occasionally look like a fucking footballer, he cost us fuck all and we are paying him about a third of what we are paying the fuckwit unit. Bigger fucking problems is us.

Carry on calling more knowledgeable and better fans than you 'cunts' and I'll fucking punch you so hard, your teeth will fly down your throat and come out your arse you fucking nonce.

Tactics aside, it's sad that this team has completely lost it's identity.

It's hard to see what our plan of attack is these days.

0_Screen-Shot-2019-10-05-at-232041.png

:pochfacepalm:

Thoughts bus-conductor bus-conductor ?

Better stats than we might have thought given results ?

It's funny you should post this as the first time I came across PPDA was a couple of days ago when researching pressing stats, I came across this article from a few months ago

I didn't post it because a) it was a few months old, so the data was somewhat old and more importantly b) I didn't quite trust it.

It's a curious metric, that I haven't quite got grips with yet, as it claims to measure pressing - but it doesn't actually seem to, it measures the amount of passes a team makes in the opposition half, and then divides it by the amount of tackles/interceptions/fouls - but there is more to pressing than simply tackling/Intercepting and fouling - there's actually "pressing".

Statsbomb actually measure this in much more detail particularly for individual players - a player doesn't have to record a tackle/Intercept/foul - the player just has to engage/close down - and they measure what happens within 5 seconds of every "engagement" action etc. They also have a metric where they adjust it for "possession" (pAdj) which takes into account teams that have more possession - and spend less time defending etc.

So, the PPDA/OPPDA - Is it measuring how good you are or how bad the opponent are? Are you good at passing or are they bad at tackling ? In terms of OPPDA what's the difference between that and just telling us teams that pass the ball in the opponent half a lot ? It doesn't give any real qualitative depth. (Again Statsbomb do this much, much better with XG assist and XG Buildup (putting a qualitative value on the build up and assist passes based on the XG chance outcome.

What the PPDA doesn't seem to take account of is that some teams will set to play more in their own half, and some teams set up to have the ball more and play in the opponents half. If so, your Passes Per Defensive Action in opponents half will be skewed by these tactics.

So, I would expect us to have a highish OPPDA because we play a possession game and we play a high percentage of teams that sit deep and allow us to play higher up. This OPPDA makes even less sense to me that the PPDA metric.

Just taking the data in that chart (Blindside taken from Wyscout data) it seem to suggest that, we are extremely close to the medium line PPDA, and closer to the medium than we are to the front runners (Lpool/City) for OPPDA - but I would expect us to be high in the OPPDA because we are one of the top 3/4 possession teams in this league and have been for 5 years.

This season we are stuck with what we have but as of next season I think we need to see the following take shape:

[FORMATION=4321,Lloris,New RB,New CB,New CB,Sessegnon,Lo Celso,New DM,Ndombele,Dele,Son,Kane][/FORMATION]

[FORMATION=4321,Gazzaniga,Walker-Peters,Sanchez,Foyth,Davies,Winks,Dier,Sissoko,Clarke,Lamela,Lucas][/FORMATION]

Players such as Skipp & Parrott either out on a proper loan or bulking up the numbers. Much depends on the development of Sessegnon at LB. if that doesn't happen switch him up with Davies or keep Rose. A lot of TLC required to our defensive minded players. A RB, 2xCB and possibly a top DM type player required to stop us leaking so much at the back.
Yeah I like those formations, the DM and quick full backs are the main issues for us at the moment, it's mental that no-one at the club has made plans to remedy the situation.

Rodri gave an interesting interview to ESPN on the DM position, I know he's going to be biased but...

"Paris Saint-Germain's most expensive signing ever is Neymar; at Atletico it's Joao Felix; at Barcelona it's Ousmane Dembele; at Real Madrid, it's Gareth Bale; at Juventus, it's Cristiano Ronaldo. All of them are attackers. At City, it's you: a defensive midfielder. What does that say about your importance, about the significance of the role?
I'm very young. I know I have a lot to learn, but it's a big pleasure to be compared with these players, top-level players. But I don't look at the amount. In modern football, my position is very important and all the great teams have a great player there: clubs are looking for that kind of player. We're a very offensive team, and we need someone who does that other, defensive side of the game. I look back on my first matches and I think, 'OK, I have a lot of space to cover here.' I have to be aware of other players going up the pitch, taking up [advanced] positions. You're the first to step in to steal the ball so that the team can keep attacking.
I think it's the most important, well, one of the most important positions in the team. You have to keep control of the game, always.
Control is the key?
Yeah, control. More than 90% of the games you play, you have control of the match, the possession. Normally, the other team is pushed backwards and you're attacking all the time. It's important to control what's going to happen after the attack [breaks down], controlling and ready for what happens when you have to defend."

Back
Top Bottom