Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like it or loath it (and I'm more loath than like); 4231 with a midfield being:

PEH / Skipp
XXX / Ndombele / XXX​

...And let Dele & Gio battle it out for the 60minute sub of Tanguy.
Gio should be playing instead of one of Peh/Skipp really if we dont want to be pinned in our half. Agree with playing Ndombele higher up where he doesnt have to chase back from constantly, would make him last longer in the game too that way.

Just play Lo Celso-Hojbjerg-Ndombele in a regular midfield three for a long run of games. It might be ugly for a little bit, but that’s the only group in terms of talent and balance that is a top 4 quality midfield. Let them get comfortable with each other. Dele and Skipp are solid subs for where we’re at.

If it doesn’t work out, at least we’ll know it wasn’t to be.
How is it a top 4 midfield though mate. When since they've been at the club they haven't got us in the top 4 these clowns are the reason Winks still gets minutes and he been shit for years now.

If in a few weeks he's not doing 80 minutes a game then we have issues

But he did 70 on Thursday and then an hour today

Drifts in and out the game but we looked gash without him we need to be getting a midfielder to replace Ali and Gio next to him however cause bith can't create shit it seems

How is it a top 4 midfield though mate. When since they've been at the club they haven't got us in the top 4 these clowns are the reason Winks still gets minutes and he been shit for years now.
I mean obviously they aren’t currently and I don’t mean to say they are. But with their pedigrees and what we’ve paid for them, it theoretically could be at that level.

I just want to see them play together, I think it’s been less than five games together. We bought them with the intention of that being our starting midfield and we’ve barely seen it yet.

Just play Lo Celso-Hojbjerg-Ndombele in a regular midfield three for a long run of games. It might be ugly for a little bit, but that’s the only group in terms of talent and balance that is a top 4 quality midfield. Let them get comfortable with each other. Dele and Skipp are solid subs for where we’re at.

Top 4 quality midfield 🤣

I mean obviously they aren’t currently and I don’t mean to say they are. But with their pedigrees and what we’ve paid for them, it theoretically could be at that level.

I just want to see them play together, I think it’s been less than five games together. We bought them with the intention of that being our starting midfield and we’ve barely seen it yet.
Yeah I get you mate. It is frustrating as they were bought in to rebuild the midfield. But I'm sick of it now this is the 3rd attempt for Ndombele and Gio to get their act together. Are 3 seasons needed for a player to get going now.

PEH on the other hand is less technical but has a great attitude but in my opinion shouldn't be the holding midfielder

Gio should be playing instead of one of Peh/Skipp really if we dont want to be pinned in our half. Agree with playing Ndombele higher up where he doesnt have to chase back from constantly, would make him last longer in the game too that way.

I'd have said that too prior to today and said play them in a 433, but Gio was too flimsy as well + PEH being a bit more box-2-box plays to his strengths.

Perhaps the quality of today's oppo is factor I'm overlooking in conrast to future oppo, but i think if we'd foreseen them being stronger in the second half the following would have seen us avoid the dramatic slide that we saw:

PEH / Skipp
Gil / Ndombele / Son
Kane
.........Re-fresh with 2 young guys and keeping the press up as much as possible, but know the MF solidity was there if the press is breached.

Maybe Nuno is gonna cling to the first 35minutes and hope the same starting MF bears fruit against Woolwich... I won't complain if he does, but I'd expect it to get ripped apart by the likes of Burnley (and CP last week).

I think it could work if we move to a 3-4-1-2 with PEH-Ndombele in the middle of the 4 and GLC plaiying behind Kane and Son or maybe a 3-5-2 but not a fan of us sticking with the 4-3-3 at all with this MF or any MF.

I was impressed with his defensive contribution in the first half, he made some good tackles and actually got stuck into some duels. But he was dead on his feet after 40 minutes. Second half it was embarrassing to watch how he deliberately avoided getting involved in the game so he could have a rest.

His physical condition is just so poor, if you aren’t naturally athletic then you have to compensate by training like an animal and getting in shape. I don’t think Tanguy will ever be willing to do that, not for any club in the world.

Yeah I get you mate. It is frustrating as they were bought in to rebuild the midfield. But I'm sick of it now this is the 3rd attempt for Ndombele and Gio to get their act together. Are 3 seasons needed for a player to get going now.

PEH on the other hand is less technical but has a great attitude but in my opinion shouldn't be the holding midfielder
I’m fucked off by it too mate, it’s insanely frustrating. But I’d rather continue rolling the dice with Ndombele and Lo Celso in hopes they live up to their pedigree and fees rather than accepting the mediocrity of Alli and Winks. Skipp is still a lad and is too similar to Hojbjerg.

I think it could work if we move to a 3-4-1-2 with PEH-Ndombele in the middle of the 4 and GLC plaiying behind Kane and Son or maybe a 3-5-2 but not a fan of us sticking with the 4-3-3 at all with this MF or any MF.
Yeah I wouldn’t mind that at all. Sanchez and Dier have arguably been our best performers this season and Romero looks good so far, so we’d be getting all three on the field at the same time. Reggie and Emerson both fit as wingbacks.

Wasn’t the whole thing when we hired Nuno that we didn’t want him playing three at the back though? Which I found bizarre because you’re hiring a manager and telling him not to play the system he’s been playing the last four years. Not a vote of confidence!

But yeah any system that gets GLC and Ndombele in the middle of pitch creating for us is what we should be trying. Unfortunately they are the only two players who fit that bill for us, except Kane.

Yeah I wouldn’t mind that at all. Sanchez and Dier have arguably been our best performers this season and Romero looks good so far, so we’d be getting all three on the field at the same time. Reggie and Emerson both fit as wingbacks.

Wasn’t the whole thing when we hired Nuno that we didn’t want him playing three at the back though? Which I found bizarre because you’re hiring a manager and telling him not to play the system he’s been playing the last four years. Not a vote of confidence!

But yeah any system that gets GLC and Ndombele in the middle of pitch creating for us is what we should be trying. Unfortunately they are the only two players who fit that bill for us, except Kane.

That was the rumour which is insane if true, especially when he would be making the change not to force the formation to fit his desires but because it would be a good fit for our team.

Gives us width and options to move the ball out wide, gives the defense some more strength without having to play two DM's to protect them and allows GLC and Ndombele freedom to create without having to do to much protection of the CBs.

He had one moment in the second half where he had to track down the flank and put in some defensive sprints. For the next 3 minutes he refused to engage in progressing the ball down his side because he was obviously gassed and just wanted to stand there for a while, so he just kept passing it back to our CBs who were giving it to him.

Embarrassing fitness levels for a professional athlete when we're talking about somewhere in the 60minute mark here.
Why isn’t there anyone else that can move the ball forward other than Ndombele though? It’s a fucking disgrace that he has to do all the heavy lifting

Why PEH over Skipp?

I’m fucked off by it too mate, it’s insanely frustrating. But I’d rather continue rolling the dice with Ndombele and Lo Celso in hopes they live up to their pedigree and fees rather than accepting the mediocrity of Alli and Winks. Skipp is still a lad and is too similar to Hojbjerg.
Pedigree? What have they done to prove they have more pedigree than Dele?
The kid was putting up numbers double what either of them had ever achieved...

Pedigree? What have they done to prove they have more pedigree than Dele?
The kid was putting up numbers double what either of them had ever achieved...
Very fair, but the current version of Dele is essentially unrecognizable compared to his younger self. It’s a shame.

Back
Top Bottom