Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My expectation is that he was being protected for the midweek game (along with GLC and Tanganga). We also saw Son play a lot more restrained against Villa; with very little chasing down balls and tracking back. Moura and Steven put in the tough shift.

Soaking wet pitch like an ice rink. High winds. Villa playing a very physical game. I can absolutely see why Mourinho chose to bench Tanganga, GLC and Ndom.

NDombele was not being rested, when we were pushing for the win Mourinho selected others instead of him. Why would he need a rest? He’s barely played.

If he isn’t trusted to come on for a few minutes against a bottom feeder I would think it’s very unlikely that he will start a game against the second best club in Germany. He could barely move around the pitch on his last appearance and he’s not ready to take the place of Dele, Winks or Gio. The difference in mobility and aggression is blindingly obvious.

Both Poch and Mou have warned that he will need time to adapt to this level so let’s give him that time. It’s silly to expect him to start big matches in his current situation.

NDombele was not being rested, when we were pushing for the win Mourinho selected others instead of him. Why would he need a rest? He’s barely played.

If he isn’t trusted to come on for a few minutes against a bottom feeder I would think it’s very unlikely that he will start a game against the second best club in Germany. He could barely move around the pitch on his last appearance and he’s not ready to take the place of Dele, Winks or Gio. The difference in mobility and aggression is blindingly obvious.

Both Poch and Mou have warned that he will need time to adapt to this level so let’s give him that time. It’s silly to expect him to start big matches in his current situation.

Ndombele showing stark contrast to Bergwijn...

Lukaku became morbidly obese under Mourinho, so maybe it's him who's the problem? He might be a "Feeder".

Haha, fuck me. Movie started to roll before my eyes when I read that -

Mou and Ndombelly on training field. Mou with bag of hot dogs.
Mou: Sit!
Ndombele: *sits*
Mou: *gives him hot dog*
Mou: Lay down!
Ndombele: *lays down*
Mou: Run 5 meters and do a Cruyff turn
Ndombele: *does it*
Mou: Now, nutmeg those 2 plastic figures here
Ndombele: *does it*

I mean that answers 2 questions -
- how did he get so good in tricks and flicks
- how did he get so fat

:D :D :D

Tanguy has started the same amount of games in the PL as Lo Celso and Sessegnon and actually has more PL minutes than both of them so far.

Tanguy has also had to deal with groin, hip and hamstring injuries. I don't think it's fair that we all assume it's a weight issue. Some of those injuries he's had, the first in his his career I should add, can be difficult to get over. Let's leave off of him and see how he turns out over time.

Not saying that we need to write him off or anything... but this metric here is well... how to say... bullshit?

He joined in July, Sess and Lo Celso in deadline day when season was about to start.
Sess had long-term injury and Lo Celso was also out with one specific injury for a while. But both of their involvement has been in upwards trend - they play more and more as time goes on. Ndombele started out well but his playing time is rather declining not increasing and this is worrying as f*ck.

He was being saved for midweek , no disrespect to villa but surely Jose sees midweek CL as a tougher fixture than Villa? Expecting to see Ndombele and GLC start Wednesday

It will be winks and GLC in there. Mourinho quite rightly doesn't trust Ndombele to play for long periods of a match, so isn't going to risk starting him in our biggest game of the season so far in case he burns himself out after half an hour and we have to use a sub top at half time.

Not saying that we need to write him off or anything... but this metric here is well... how to say... bullshit?

He joined in July, Sess and Lo Celso in deadline day when season was about to start.
Sess had long-term injury and Lo Celso was also out with one specific injury for a while. But both of their involvement has been in upwards trend - they play more and more as time goes on. Ndombele started out well but his playing time is rather declining not increasing and this is worrying as f*ck.

Ndombele has also had injuries though.. 3 in fact (Hamstring, Groin & Hip, the first injuries of his career I believe)

If something is lingering with him it will play its part. I think it's a little deeper than that, I get the feeling that Mourinho is holding him back a little due to his fitness issues hence why we haven't seen anywhere near as much of him as we have Lo Celso in the same period of time.

Ndombele has also had injuries though.. 3 in fact (Hamstring, Groin & Hip, the first injuries of his career I believe)

If something is lingering with him it will play its part. I think it's a little deeper than that, I get the feeling that Mourinho is holding him back a little due to his fitness issues hence why we haven't seen anywhere near as much of him as we have Lo Celso in the same period of time.

Yea, I know he has had injury worries as well.

Just stating that with other 2 players the situation was different.
Sessegnon - joined injured on deadine day, one specific long-term injury - played 1st game in Nov
Lo Celso - joined on deadline day, got one specific (hip) injury which kept him out for ~10 games, has featured in most games ever since with growing playing time
Ndombele - joined early, was "fit" for start of the season, started first 2 games , has been injured-fit-injured-fit-injured fit ever since without one specific issue.

I prefer situation that someone had overcome one specific injury with one go, and having been available ever since to the situation that is unfolding against Ndombele, I have to say.

Since the turn of the year Ndombele has played 45 minutes of EPL football (out of 540 min); Lo Celso 376 and Sessegnon 180 minutes. So your initial point of how many minutes anyone has played holds no real value in my eyes regarding their current standing. Ndombele got his playing time essentially in period of Aug-Nov and has been effectively sidelined ever since (or played 171 minutes out of total 1080 minutes to be more accurate)....

Yea, I know he has had injury worries as well.

Just stating that with other 2 players the situation was different.
Sessegnon - joined injured on deadine day, one specific long-term injury - played 1st game in Nov
Lo Celso - joined on deadline day, got one specific (hip) injury which kept him out for ~10 games, has featured in most games ever since with growing playing time
Ndombele - joined early, was "fit" for start of the season, started first 2 games , has been injured-fit-injured-fit-injured fit ever since without one specific issue.

I prefer situation that someone had overcome one specific injury with one go, and having been available ever since to the situation that is unfolding against Ndombele, I have to say.

Since the turn of the year Ndombele has played 45 minutes of EPL football (out of 540 min); Lo Celso 376 and Sessegnon 180 minutes. So your initial point of how many minutes anyone has played holds no real value in my eyes regarding their current standing. Ndombele got his playing time essentially in period of Aug-Nov and has been effectively sidelined ever since (or played 171 minutes out of total 1080 minutes to be more accurate)....

I know what you mean and why you're saying that, I just think Tanguy deserves a little more time before we jump all over him. Not sure what the numbers are since he said he couldn't play on Boxing Day but clearly something's been going on with him behind the scenes and I think he requires a little more time before we hammer him about his performance issues. He's a young man who's had niggling injuries, living in a foreign country for the first time there's a whole host of things that can occur before someone clicks.

If we keep picking up points whilst Tanguy sorts out whatever the issues are I have no concerns. I'm happy to see how he starts to settle over the next few months whilst we utilise him and the squad as best we can. One good performance from him can change things very quickly.

Last edited:
Not many defenders can slice through an entire side with a full length of the pitch through ball like he did on Sunday, in the final minute of injury time no less, #cultured...

I presume this is sarcasm? Because he lumped the ball straight to their CB who took (or didn't take) a Sunday league level touch.

Not really, no.

Here he is at Lyon. I don't see a difference if any at all.

GettyImages-1067469414.jpg

Here he is for us against City a few weeks back.

tanguy-ndombele-of-tottenham-hotspur-during-the-premier-league-match-picture-id1204597915

Here he is against Man City for Lyon last year.

tanguy-ndombele-of-lyon-and-david-silva-of-manchester-city-during-the-picture-id1065972514
What a porker.

Not many defenders can slice through an entire side with a full length of the pitch through ball like he did on Sunday, in the final minute of injury time no less, #cultured...

He fired a ball up the pitch directly at a defender. The defender SHOCKINGLY misplayed it. That was not a through ball, it was a desperation punt up the pitch that happened to get by a defender by some miraculous act of God.

Ultimately, given that Ndombele was definitely Champions League level last season, it’s hard to understand why he is not capable of contributing significantly on Wednesday.

But if he does not feature at all it would not be a surprise. Winks, Gedson, Lo Celso & Dier look to be ahead of him at the moment, and that’s not a good thing for the guy.

Ndombele looks like a great player in terms of potential but so far actual application has him down at Jose Dominguez levels.

Football is full of players who have moments of magic who ultimately find themselves trapped at QPR.....I don’t want that for him, but he’s heading down a worrying path - even if it’s not all down to him.

Back
Top Bottom