Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Again you arent looking at context or remembering things right. I loved Moose, so I paid a lot more attention to what happened with him. Dembele was fit and ready and in an interview also said he is fit but not being picked by Poch. Poch was an idiot in his first season to pick donkeys like Mason ahead of him because he wanted to look like hes doing something amazing by promoting 'youf' and the 'one of our owns' even when the 'youf' was terrible. Its only in the summer when Dembele said if I dont play I leave that he got to play next season. And surprise surprise we were title challangers the next two seasons when Mason and Bentaleb played less and less and were gotten rid of and the cms were Dembele/Dier or Dembele/Wanyama. Mason went on to get relegated with his next club.

I think the penny might have finally dropped with Poch when we reached the cup final and he started Mason , got us 2-0 down in 30 minutes and then subbed in Dembele to save from an embarassing result .

I dont mind giving Ndombele more time, but its a little disingenous to say things like Moose played 90 minutes only 15 times when in reality he played full matches or close it more than twice that number in his first season with 3000+ minutes.

Your argument was with my stats demonstrating Ndombele/ Dembele completing 90 minutes for whatever reason. You then said it didn't take into account the 89 minute games etc so I stripped it back to 65 minutes and Ndombele still had better numbers than Dembele that season.

My point isn't that Dembele wasn't a wonderful footballer, he clearly was. My argument about it all is these are the first 26 PL games Ndombele has been a squad member of. In that time he has picked up hamstring, groin and hip injuries. Add that to this being the most powerful and phyisical League in the world, Tanguy not speaking not the language, being a very young man and from what I can tell never have to deal with injuries in his short career previous to the 3 he has sustained with us.

Top players can have spells where they struggle, be it form wise or fitness wise. It's too early to be battering Ndombele for me, it's not fair on him and I think we need patience whilst he figures out whatever the situation is behind the scenes. We may have paid a lot for him, ultimately he's still a human regardless of the price tag he comes with. I'll reserve judgement on him for a while yet as I think it's unfair for a fair few others to be doubting him so early on. Maybe they are right and I'm wrong but I still think it's hugely unfair to be raising our concerns with him just yet.

Your argument was with my stats demonstrating Ndombele/ Dembele completing 90 minutes for whatever reason. You then said it didn't take into account the 89 minute games etc so I stripped it back to 65 minutes and Ndombele still had better numbers than Dembele that season.

My point isn't that Dembele wasn't a wonderful footballer, he clearly was. My argument about it all is these are the first 26 PL games Ndombele has been a squad member of. In that time he has picked up hamstring, groin and hip injuries. Add that to this being the most powerful and phyisical League in the world, Tanguy not speaking not the language, being a very young man and from what I can tell never have to deal with injuries in his short career previous to the 3 he has sustained with us.

Top players can have spells where they struggle, be it form wise or fitness wise. It's too early to be battering Ndombele for me, it's not fair on him and I think we need patience whilst he figures out whatever the situation is behind the scenes. We may have paid a lot for him, ultimately he's still a human regardless of the price tag he comes with. I'll reserve judgement on him for a while yet as I think it's unfair for a fair few others to be doubting him so early on. Maybe they are right and I'm wrong but I still think it's hugely unfair to be raising our concerns with him just yet.
And like i said, that particular season that you picked out which wasnt his first season here anyway, Dembele didnt play much not because of fitness or anything else. It was solely down to Poch trying to be radical and failing .

Completely agree with the rest of posts about Ndombele needing time. Its just that some days ago sammy was using nitpicked stats to prove things and you did very similar things. It was a bit annoying,

But even his desperation punts end up being assists.

That's how good he is.
You can see him take a quick look at Engels and spot that he's slightly off balance and not properly set just before he strikes the ball, he meant it, no doubt.

That kind of split second decision making abd creativity is why we will look back one day and laugh that we nicked him fir a mere £42m from Ajax.

If he can add a few more goals to the assists he can be one of the all time greats.

Not really.

Do you want me to run through all the players that took 6 - 12 months to settle in ?

Edit: Or those who never settled at all ?
Or those who never settled at all ? You mean those that weren't good enough.
He isn't here to perform brain surgery or translate the Encyclopedia Britannica, just to kick a ball as he did at Lyon. How hard is it to that in another country?

And like i said, that particular season that you picked out which wasnt his first season here anyway, Dembele didnt play much not because of fitness or anything else. It was solely down to Poch trying to be radical and failing .

Completely agree with the rest of posts about Ndombele needing time. Its just that some days ago sammy was using nitpicked stats to prove things and you did very similar things. It was a bit annoying,

Not nitpicked, you just deciphered them that way. My points around Dembele during Pochettinos first season were aligned with how he wasn't a vital player and eventually grew into being one, hopefully Tanguy can do the same once he's up to speed mate.

He isn't here to perform brain surgery or translate the Encyclopedia Britannica, just to kick a ball as he did at Lyon. How hard is it to that in another country?
I don't know why don't you ask JImmy Greaves
He went to AC Milan and due to culture, language, family and different playing style/training he couldn't settle.
He hated it and wanted to come home ASAP.

But I suppose he "weren't good enough" either ?

I think he
He went to AC Milan and due to culture, language, family and different playing style/training he couldn't settle.

Are we fucking with Jimmy Greaves?

9 goals in 12 games at Milan though. Hardly the stuff of a non performing player.

When you ate too many cream cakes whilst you were on hols and even more when you were out with a niggle it becomes all the more difficult.

I am confused as to why Dembele is being mentioned as the point of comparison with Ndombele.

Dembele played 80+ games for Spurs before Poch even rocked up. He also played 60+ games for Fulham before he came to Spurs. Aside from the tenuous link between the spelling of the names, I can’t see any similar comparison between the two players.

Comparing minutes on the pitch means sod all really. Ruel Fox probably had more minutes and completed more 90’s in his Spurs career than Dembele, but was still an utter waste of space.

9 goals in 12 games at Milan though. Hardly the stuff of a non performing player.
Yep

But that was the argument that Neumanator put forward.
His argument was only bad players can't settle, nothing to do with ability. Jimmy was top scorer in Italy that year I think (?).

"Or those who never settled at all ? You mean those that weren't good enough"

There are many players who can't settle in a different country, for whatever reason. It doesn't make them bad players. Think how bad Son was when he first came to us, but he turned it around. Meaning it took him time to settle.
To criticise a player that has been here for less than a year and doesn't know the language, culture etc is just folly.

Ndombele and I split a couple pizzas and a case of beer last night. You should lay off him he seems like a nice bloke.

Greedy bastard; he'd already been round to mine for a Kentucky family bucket and super-size Krushems.

Spread the love....

364478011_0_640x640.jpg

...?????

Mason got injured in January, never played again, never got relegated with Hull.

You are massively over critical of both Mason and Bentaleb. who did a good job for us - and were probably our best players in that cup final (the players that shouldn't have played were Townsend and Chadli) and it's not like we even got to a cup final with Dembele (losing qtr's and semi finals).

Mason was a decent footballer, with good energy who was also tenacious, I'd have him in this midfield ahead of donkeys like Dier and Sissoko all day long, lets not pretend the shit we've been watching in midfield for the last two years before this one has been any better than Mason and Bentaleb was.

Massively critical of Mason and Bentaleb? Was that in reference to something I've said or someone else a source I don't recall saying anything about Ryan and Nabil. I rather liked both as footballers for where we were at when Poch took over.

Back
Top Bottom