Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mason was a terrible footballer mate. Always in the wrong place and a headless chicken. He would lose players in midfield , panic and slide around like a maniac and had no clue of what to do with the ball except lump it forward aimlessly. He wasnt even half as useful as Sissoko or 15/16 Dier and definitely worse than Winks as well. He was hyped up by the 'one of our own' nutcases. Bentaleb was slightly more useful but just look at how his career is going as well.

Also we did get to the final of that cup with Dembele playing in the samis. In fact, we scored after he replaced Mason in the first leg. Also started the second leg, played for 2/3rds of that match too , we were up 2-0 then he goes off and we conceded 2 goals.

Hull were bottom of the table when Mason got injured and got relegate after. I remember that because some nutters were talking about how we miss Mason when were actually fighting at the top of the league and he was rotting at the bottom, which was quite stupid.

They were third from bottom when he got injured. He was nowhere near as bad as you make out, and don’t forget he was never a DM (and played a lot of his youth games as an AM - I’m pretty sure he scored a ton of goals in one of his youth seasons) but still did a better job there than Sissoko, who spends all game hiding and pointing, bunting the ball back to where it came like it’s a live grenade, ambles around, loses his man and can’t tackle without fouling and cost us a fucking CL final with his stupid pointing.

I never rated Mason highly, I wasn’t particularly bothered we sold him for a decent 12m (Hull’s record signing) and none of the youth watchers eulogised over him at any point in his career.

But he was far from terrible and did a good job at an important time for us and Poch. We could have done with some of that energy, aggression and half decent football ability in the last couple of years when our midfield has been a lethargic no go zone.

Poch himself said he owed a lot to Mason. And I get what he meant, he might not have been the most talented but his attitude, willingness to press like a cunt for 90 minutes, never hide from the game and at least try to play football (along with the youthful and equally hungry Bentaleb and Kane) was the spark that helped ignite Poch’s ethos.

He was outstanding in that magnificent game against Woolwich when we pressed the shit out of them and played them off the park and beat them after they’d taken the lead. I’ve not seen too many better midfield performances in the last 6 years than Mason and Bentaleb’s that day.

He was better than you give him credit for, and we did pretty well with him in our midfield, played better football than we have for the last two years.

The last resort of a desperate man, abuse. Oh well.

So, let's get back to your original post and I'll address what you said.

You then used Aguero as an example of a player who came to the PL , hit the ground running, scored goals and was a hit straight away, to try and prove your point. TBF you're not wrong in using him as an example for players that "start productively from day one".

So, I assume that as you expect this from every player, that you would of binned Son off after his first year with us. He was playing shite, had no confidence, and he himself asked for a transfer because he wasn't playing anywhere near his ability. He had to be persuaded to stay and proved what a great player he actually is.

For every Aguero, there is a Son. Surely even you would admit that ?

Or have I misunderstood your point ?
Maybe the main point of my initial post wasn't quite made clearly enough - I don't expect any player to perform at their best immediately upon transferring to Spurs (or any other club for that matter), but what gets my back up is when you hear stuff like "a player needs a season or two to acclimatize" or as you say "he isn't used to the culture, language, big red buses (joke!)". In Ndombele's case, there is obviously some fitness problems and possibly some sort of mental issue. We have seen glimpses of his true ability, but 8 months after his arrival we should be able to expect more.

Maybe the main point of my initial post wasn't quite made clearly enough - I don't expect any player to perform at their best immediately upon transferring to Spurs (or any other club for that matter), but what gets my back up is when you hear stuff like "a player needs a season or two to acclimatize" or as you say "he isn't used to the culture, language, big red buses (joke!)". In Ndombele's case, there is obviously some fitness problems and possibly some sort of mental issue. We have seen glimpses of his true ability, but 8 months after his arrival we should be able to expect more.

Ah! Got you.
I did misunderstand your point then.
:mourbye:

Fitness problems are definitely an issue with him (weight and physical injuries). Which is the main problem IMO.
The mental issues, I don't know about but hopefully once he sorts the physical issues out he can become a integral part of the team.
I would give any player at least 6 months, maybe a year (see Sonny) to acclimatise but never 2 seasons.
I don't know how many minutes he's played (16 app ?) but the more he plays the fitter he will become.
There's definitely a player in there and a good one to boot.

We are going to need him to step up as Dele and Gio will now have to play further forward due to this injury crisis. Hopefully he is ready to work hard.

Playing with a proverbial 10 men won't help our predicament.

GLC / Winks / Gedson
Lucas / Dele / Bergwijn

Ndombele as an impact sub if we can't break a team down.

What a stark contrast to see one player scoring a brace with a broken elbow while our record signing is still having trouble catching his breath after being on the pitch for 15 minutes.

What a stark contrast to see one player scoring a brace with a broken elbow while our record signing is still having trouble catching his breath after being on the pitch for 15 minutes.
Pointless/nonsensical comparison

EDIT: I'm sure those of you out there remember us shifting Modric out to the wing and many members of the media calling him a lightweight and not cut out for the league.

Honestly, comparing players like this doesn't make much sense. Saying new environments or a different league shouldn't affect a player is also stupid. Ndombele has shown us flashes and given enough time, he'll show more. It's like some people just want him to fail

Last edited:
Playing with a proverbial 10 men won't help our predicament.

GLC / Winks / Gedson
Lucas / Dele / Bergwijn

Ndombele as an impact sub if we can't break a team down.
You think he’s as far gone to be considered a liability as a starter ?

I really hope it’s not as bad as that.

he needs to get fit (quick) get confident and make an impact

right now we need him (to)

You think he’s as far gone to be considered a liability as a starter ?

I really hope it’s not as bad as that.

he needs to get fit (quick) get confident and make an impact

right now we need him (to)

He was in his last start.... Winks & Dier were run ragged trying to make up for him being a ghost.

"he needs to get fit (quick) get confident and make an impact"

It'll happen when it happens.... Until then, lets see what Gedson can get done over 90mins.

He was better than you give him credit for, and we did pretty well with him in our midfield, played better football than we have for the last two years.
We will just keep disagreeing over this over and over again. He ended up gotten rid of and ended up at a crap club where he was crap and they got relegated. While we went to challange for the title a couple of times and stayed in the top 4 .

He was in his last start.... Winks & Dier were run ragged trying to make up for him being a ghost.

"he needs to get fit (quick) get confident and make an impact"

It'll happen when it happens.... Until then, lets see what Gedson can get done over 90mins.
What I struggle to get my head around is..... how is he that unfit

a footballer getting back to fitness normally equates to ..... blowing out his arse after 60mins

but for that hour you’re still a decent player

3 maybe 4 of those and bang ... match fit , timing returns along with sharpness and presence of mind

maybe it was just a particularly poor showing.... his last outing

we need his quality

I just don’t know how good young Gedson is

How'd he get through Poch's pre-season? Baffling for sure.....

His cameos have been great. I look forward to seeing more.
Thing Is they’ve been very brief cameos ... I just can’t make a judgement

What I do know is tangey can be mustard

i think what I’m saying is .... I’d pick him first

either way

COYS and all that !!

I can't help but have a little titter every time I see TheSpurEst type his name as Ndombelly. Childish I know, but still.

Actually... I just started to think...

I play beach volley twice per week, and I do some physical work in the weekends (during week I am an office worker). I don't follow my nutrition AT ALL. I visit gym quite rarely.

But if you'd put a tight shirt on me and Ndombelly and make us stand side by side... I am not fully sure who of us would look more "in shape" 🧐

(for all melters -no I am not suggesting that I AM in better shape nor in better form or stronger or anything - no. Clearly Tanguy would be. By like 100 times. I am just talking about the looks / impression - just random sidebar thought 😜).

tanguy-ndombele-of-tottenham-hotspur-participates-in-a-training-of-picture-id1207076146

Actually... I just started to think...

I play beach volley twice per week, and I do some physical work in the weekends (during week I am an office worker). I don't follow my nutrition AT ALL. I visit gym quite rarely.

But if you'd put a tight shirt on me and Ndombelly and make us stand side by side... I am not fully sure who of us would look more "in shape" 🧐

(for all melters -no I am not suggesting that I AM in better shape nor in better form or stronger or anything - no. Clearly Tanguy would be. By like 100 times. I am just talking about the looks / impression - just random sidebar thought 😜).
Let's see your tight shirt pic then pal

Back
Top Bottom