Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lukaku became morbidly obese under Mourinho, so maybe it's him who's the problem? He might be a "Feeder".
Didn't Lukaku become massively overweight under Ole?

Yes, he was big under Mou, but it was more muscle mass I think than flab.

According to Inter's doctors he had developed some type of digestive infection/disease during his final year at United that caused him to balloon.

You only have to google pictures of him and compare him in a Lyon shirt to ours.

He’s clearly more frumpy. Whether technically he’s overweight according to BMI is another thing, but he’s not as fit looking as he was.

If you're getting paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week to play football, you shouldn't be fucking fat, end of.

And by fat, in this sense, I mean not fit enough to play for 90 minutes.

No idea when the second one was taken to be honest, but the fact it was after the first one was supposed to make the point. Don't you think he looked thinner when he signed, than now?

Not really, no.

Here he is at Lyon. I don't see a difference if any at all.

GettyImages-1067469414.jpg

Here he is for us against City a few weeks back.

tanguy-ndombele-of-tottenham-hotspur-during-the-premier-league-match-picture-id1204597915

Here he is against Man City for Lyon last year.

tanguy-ndombele-of-lyon-and-david-silva-of-manchester-city-during-the-picture-id1065972514

Last edited:
You're not necessarily overweight - just not fit enough.
Ok.

I made the assumption that he’s overweight because that was the issue he had at Amiens.

But whichever way, being a professional athlete and not being fit enough is, frankly in my view, unforgivable.

And it’s not just Tanguy, there should have been people in the coaching staff who should have been monitoring him carefully, especially given his past history.

Everyone who observes Kane's condition when he comes back from a prolonged absence due to injury can see he put in the time and effort to remain fit and well conditioned to do a 90 minute game when called upon. It's an obligation to his club, supporters and himself. On the contrary, Ndombele does not look fit and as evidenced from his huffing and puffing after being on the pitch for over 15 minutes, it is not because his "body just looks that way". that is a pretty big problem for a guy who also participated in a full pre season with the team and raking in 175k a week.
If every player was Harry Kane is not much of an argument. They are not, different metabolic rates and physiological make up. Let's give the bloke time. It's funny because the fat narrative is a mask, been loads of tubby great players. He looked not dissimilar to when bossing City, Pool and Barca just out of condition post injury to me. There is a modern emphasis on body fat that I think has harmed some players. Muscle is heavier than fat, its core fitness that is the issue. Eric Dier got worse the more muscle he put on, I think it stems from the metamorphosis of Ronaldo. It also actively hurt Bale. Looking cut dont make you fit.

To me he looks a bit podgier these days. Elite athlete podgy mind. I don't think any of us us would care if he was able to do 90 minutes. But he can't.

We know from Mourinho that he has been simultaneously 'not injured' and yet not fit enough to play a whole match. So I take from that that he's not limited by his hip or any kind of musculo-skeletal issue, he's limited by his stamina/cardiovascular fitness. Maybe he has a mystery illness, a heart condition, a viral illness, but more likely he's just out-of-shape. Why? I'm hoping this is a lack of understanding (e.g. regarding nutrition) rather than a lack of discipline, but as said above, this is apparently not the first time his weight has been an issue.

Ok.

I made the assumption that he’s overweight because that was the issue he had at Amiens.

But whichever way, being a professional athlete and not being fit enough is, frankly in my view, unforgivable.

And it’s not just Tanguy, there should have been people in the coaching staff who should have been monitoring him carefully, especially given his past history.

Tanguy has started the same amount of games in the PL as Lo Celso and Sessegnon and actually has more PL minutes than both of them so far.

Tanguy has also had to deal with groin, hip and hamstring injuries. I don't think it's fair that we all assume it's a weight issue. Some of those injuries he's had, the first in his his career I should add, can be difficult to get over. Let's leave off of him and see how he turns out over time.

If every player was Harry Kane is not much of an argument. They are not, different metabolic rates and physiological make up. Let's give the bloke time. It's funny because the fat narrative is a mask, been loads of tubby great players. He looked not dissimilar to when bossing City, Pool and Barca just out of condition post injury to me. There is a modern emphasis on body fat that I think has harmed some players. Muscle is heavier than fat, its core fitness that is the issue. Eric Dier got worse the more muscle he put on, I think it stems from the metamorphosis of Ronaldo. It also actively hurt Bale. Looking cut dont make you fit.
If this was just building fitness post injury I think the noises from Mourinho would have been more supportive than they have been.

If this was just building fitness post injury I think the noises from Mourinho would have been more supportive than they have been.

You never know the reasons why Jose does what he does or says what he says. He's a very clever man who has motives different to what they seem face value a lot of the time.

A week or two is a long time in football. It was only a month ago that people were questioning if Lo Celso had a future with us after his loan came to an end.

Not really, no.

Here he is at Lyon. I don't see a difference if any at all.

GettyImages-1067469414.jpg

Here he is for us against City a few weeks back.

tanguy-ndombele-of-tottenham-hotspur-during-the-premier-league-match-picture-id1204597915

Here he is against Man City for Lyon last year.

tanguy-ndombele-of-lyon-and-david-silva-of-manchester-city-during-the-picture-id1065972514
Some of it is probably optical illusions. He's moved from using a loose Adidas kit to a more tight Nike kit. That alone makes you look pudgier.

He's taking the piss.

Fat, not fat, whatever. But you cannot argue the fact he is criminally unfit.

I've never, ever seen a footballer give up chasing a player (Boufal, maybe?) as blatantly as he did against Southampton.

He's had a few minor injuries. That's it. It's not like he's been bed-bound for six months. He also had a full pre-season. Lamela, for example, has had numerous serious injuries, and I've never seen him blowing after ten minutes like Ndombele.

He needs to sort himself out, and quickly.

Hopefully he has been putting in the extra work over the winter break to get himself match fit, showing a bit of dedication, rather than sitting on his arse.

Probably not though :dembelelol:

The monster Tanguy was signed to replace and his first 3 full seasons at the club:

12-13 - 15 completed 90 minutes of PL football
13/14 - 11 completed 90 minutes of PL football
14/15 - 2 completed 90 minutes of PL football (Pochettino's first season at Spurs)

28 full games completed out of a possible 114 games he could have done so with. That works out to just under 1 game every 4 where Mousa was able to complete 90 minutes in the league during his first THREE seasons at Spurs.

Give Tanguy a break, some people need a little longer than others and it seems a few have very short memories about how our old number 19 started at Spurs and how he finished and the stark contrast between the two.

The monster Tanguy was signed to replace and his first 3 full seasons at the club:

12-13 - 15 completed 90 minutes of PL football
13/14 - 11 completed 90 minutes of PL football
14/15 - 2 completed 90 minutes of PL football (Pochettino's first season at Spurs)

28 full games completed out of a possible 114 games he could have done so with. That works out to just under 1 game every 4 where Mousa was able to complete 90 minutes in the league during his first THREE seasons at Spurs.

Give Tanguy a break, some people need a little longer than others and it seems a few have very short memories about how our old number 19 started at Spurs and how he finished and the stark contrast between the two.

People really forget how many times Dembele was subbed off at half time in games during his early years.

Go read the early pages of the Dembele thread and you'll see many wanting him sold.

I guess the difference to most eyes is Dembele cost £15,000,0000 and was used to the league. Just based on seeing both, Ndombele is a better player than Dembele but obviously has fitness issues.

I do think alot of it is blown out of proportion though. Kane looks tired after 5 minutes due to the fact he walks around with his mouth open. Yet, I'd argue he's one of the fittest in the team. Ndombeles gait plays a part in said illusion that ShutUpPatrik ShutUpPatrik was on about too.

Luckily, Mourinho has heaped praise on how good Ndombele is so that alone should see him stick with him. I don't care if he's fat. Rooney was fat, and he was fitter than most. But he needs minutes, constant minutes.

Benching him and not bringing him off the bench last month was a weird decision.

Back
Top Bottom